Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TG4 HD

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    It amazes me how many people need English commentary for a rugby match. Do ye not understand what's happening on the field or something?

No it's just annoying hearing the diddly dee potatoes in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

No it's just annoying hearing the diddly dee potatoes in the background.
    You might want to get your hearing checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

lawhec wrote: »
    And if it wasn't for pressure from Irish language communities for a station like TG4, it simply wouldn't exist.

Many of us outside the Gaeltacht, some with minimal Irish, regularly watch TG4. It is not just for sport, either. It caters for cultural interests that are simply ignored by RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MrSneeg

NewHillel wrote: »
    Many of us outside the Gaeltacht, some with minimal Irish, regularly watch TG4. It is not just for sport, either. It caters for cultural interests that are simply ignored by RTE.

subtitltles are a great help

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭lgs 4

MrSneeg wrote: »
    and bilingual audio in 5.1 dolby:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 34,884 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It amazes me how many people need English commentary for a rugby match. Do ye not understand what's happening on the field or something?

I had the rugby forum thread open to try to figure out what was going on - but nobody there could make sense of the ref's decisions either :)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If we only had the 4 channels and no UK or other foreign channels, many people (including myself with no word of Irish) would discover many more of their hidden gems. I have discovered many such programmes when I have been turned off the other channels.

Our TV guides, as publishd in the papers, are very much for those with Sky, and less so, for those with UPC. None are for those with Freesat.

No attempt is made to highlight those programmes on TG4 that are worth watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Oh please. Where was RTÉ back in the days of the Celtic League. That's right, they didn't care less about it back then and only TG4 provided coverage. Do you remember those days? I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to show rugby now. TG4 didn't outbid RTÉ for last nights game either.

I don't see why a channel moving to HD is such a problem for you. Should channels you deem to be not worthy have stayed in black and white?

It is amusing how you liken Irish speakers to the members of a religious order. You would do well to take note of the official languages of this state.

If you want a religious channel then why not start one up or petition for one. If there is demand for a Jewish channel in Ireland, I am sure someone will make it happen.

I said minority group, irish speakers compare to jews

You're a funny guy. Away with you now to get your black and white Jewish channel up and running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

MrSneeg wrote: »

Indeed they are. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

NewHillel wrote: »
    My comment must have been taken the wrong way - I only said that if it wasn't for the station being a primarily Irish language one, it wouldn't have been launched as the idea was to get more Irish language programming on the national airwaves. As opposed to those who say that the channel is a waste of time in having spoken Irish programming and sports commentary - there was no political will for an RTÉ3 instead of TnaG as it was then.

As an Anglophone myself, I agree that TG4 is a very good channel. If RTÉ had the same efficiency and drive as those in TG4 have with the much bigger budget that they have, you would have one of the best PSBs in Europe at Donnybrook. Irish language commentary for sports broadcasts doesn't bother me - an English option would be nice, but it's not essential as I'm more concerned with what is on the screen and that the channel is doing what it says on the tin, it has no obligation (nor should it) to accommodate non-Irish speakers any more than what it does at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Never said it shouldn't exist, its just not a good choice putting TG4 onto HD, majority of the country can't understand irish and the listings in the newspapers too. Why not have a jewish channel as well, as they are a minority too in ireland.
    Stupid comparison - the Irish language is a native language of the island in different dialects that has significant historical and cultural significance to the nation. Most place names in English are derived from their name in Irish and even if you were born in Ireland and you only speak English, the way you speak it is almost certainly a form that has had a significant input from Gaelic in loanwords and grammar structure. While only a small amount of the population nowadays can speak Irish fluently, it has at least survived where many other minor languages in Europe have disappeared over the last 100 years.

The impact on the Jewish faith in Ireland, I'm willing to listen.

So why is boards.ie not in Irish then if it is the native language of ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

There is a little bit of history behind how that has come to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

It would appear to me that many who criticise TG4 don't watch it all that often... TG4 is, in my opinion, a superb channel with some excellent shows.

Like many in thse forums, I only have a FTA system, though I do have a motor on my dish. This means that I regularly watch foreign broadcasts of sporting events. I have become uesd to the non english soundtracks.

I've watched football in German, Spanish, French and Turkish, I've watched boxing in German and I've watched rugby in Irish. It's all free and all legal. If there comes a day when I positively need to have an English soundtrack, then I'll have to get Pay TV.

With regards to TG4 on Saorview, rather than TG4 reinventing the wheel and broadcasting an English soundtrack of their own, would it be possible for them to broadcast the radio soundtrack? Could they come to an agreement with RTE perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I prefer TG4 over RTE (and I can't speak Irish). TG4 has great historical documentaries on it and various programmes from all corners of Ireland. If some of the people on this thread actually watched TG4 they would realise its not just for native speakers (thats why there is subtitles), they cover a lot of programmes that RTE would never cover. Its great to have a channel dedicated to the Irish language and to promote it. People talking about Jewish channels are just WUMs in my opinion, if you don't like the Irish language don't watch TG4.

Why should it have to be???

There is an Irish language section on this site. You are only trolling now.

Pangea wrote: »
    I prefer TG4 over RTE (and I can't speak Irish). TG4 has great historical documentaries on it and various programmes from all corners of Ireland. If some of the people on this thread actually watched TG4 they would realise its not just for native speakers (thats why there is subtitles), they cover a lot of programmes that RTE would never cover. Its great to have a channel dedicated to the Irish language and to promote it. People talking about Jewish channels are just WUMs in my opinion, if you don't like the Irish language don't watch TG4.

Stating jewish was an example of a minority language group here, could be arabic, polish( probably more polish speakers here than irish), spanish etc, even, dare I say it greek

• Advertisement

Stating jewish was an example of a minority language group here, could be arabic, polish( probably more polish speakers here than irish), spanish etc, even dare I say it, greek

If you don't like the Irish language then tough its apart of Ireland's culture, no ones forcing you to watch TG4.

Pangea wrote: »
    If you don't like the Irish language then tough its apart of Ireland's culture, no ones forcing you to watch TG4.

I don't see how it should use up bandwidth on the DTT transmitters so it can be HD for the few hundred who watch it daily.
    Can RTE1 not be HD or is that in the pipeline. Tv3 probably could not afford it, but somehow TG4 can, how is that possible, government intervention thats why.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

TV3 will have a HD channel, AFAIK. Not much else to use DTT bandwidth anyway.

I don't see how it should use up bandwidth on the DTT transmitters so it can be HD for the few hundred who watch it daily.
    Can RTE1 not be HD or is that in the pipeline. Tv3 probably could not afford it, but somehow TG4 can, how is that possible, government intervention thats why.

They will all be HD. Government intervention or not.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

It's up to RTE as to whether RTE1 goes HD or not. Ideally all channels on Saorview would be HD, but that's obviously not going to happen any time soon.

As for TV3 and 3E... Well I would imagine they will only go HD when they positively have to.. In other words, when they are losing viewers because people can't/won't put up with their picture quality.

Personally, as you might have guessed, I am a fan of TG4 and feel that it serves it's purpose well. It's target market may not be all that big, but that has not stopped them producing some quality programming over the years. I don't speak Irish fluently, in fact I don't have great Irish at all, but I blame the way it was taught in school for that.

It has a daily viewership of 800/900,000. Hardly a few hundred now. :rolleyes:
    Government intervention, so what? TG4 is public service broadcaster. TV3 is a commercial broadcaster and its programming hasn't got a patch on TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I don't why a technical forum has been derailed by Mac an Chruiteir rattling on about the unfairness of TG4 funding.

Saorview has all of its channels in HD and probably provides superior subtitling facilities so from a technical perspective this is all good.

Is there a rough estimate as to when TG4 HD is coming out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

People moaning about what is a good TV station, wow!
    I wonder how they would feel if they were stuck with what passes for telly in The States or just the likes of TV3/ITV, do you understand the meaning of the words, choice, variety etc....
    Between us and Britain there are 4 languages native to these islands and TV stations in each of these languages, if you don't like that, tough, get over yourselves. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Tg4, the conveyor belt of fine women, and now in HD, nice!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement