Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TG4 HD

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

The truth hurts, sadly.

TG4 is here only for political reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

liamtech wrote: »
    if what your saying is that TV3 and 3e just show ITV prgramming then i agree but they do show 'some' home grown documentaries, i quite like there news, and Vinnie B is always amusing - especially around election time. lol

There not the best channels and you could argue that in terms of choice they are the weakest of the Saorview line-up for those who also have Freesat - but for those who dont and, who want to watch X Factor etc (i dont PLEASE believe me) then they are a decent addition to the line-up - saorview would be a weaker service without them - two RTE stations and TG4 is hardly a sufficiant line-up - RTE+1 RTE-JR, and RTE NEWS NOW, surely these are more pointless -

Much the same difference Soarview would be the lesser without RTÉ 1, 2 and TG4.

You could also Say that 3e is not only purely ITV2esq but also ITV1+1esq.
    Tg4 should only be compared with TV3 and RTE, and not uk channels for viewership percentages.
    Compare and weep, TG4 ratings are extremely low, due to lack of irish speaking natives.

Okay 3e has 1.3%, Setanta has 0.4 while RTÉ Two is shedding viewers at an enormous rate currently at 6% (average of 8%) lucky for them this year they have Euro 2012, GAA and Olympics (Should bring them up to 12% for 2012 if they don't loose any more audience between now and then).

Why not compare Irish Audience of UK channels with Irish Channels? But would you prefer that TG4 is the 4th most popular channel so? :rolleyes:

When everyone has their saorview boxes and have 3e available for 'free' then I can forsee the channel having a larger percentage than TG4. Not saying that I enjoy the programs on it anymore than TG4 but the basic fact is that it is in english.

mcwhirter wrote: »
    When everyone has their saorview boxes and have 3e available for 'free' then I can forsee the channel having a larger percentage than TG4. Not saying that I enjoy the programs on it anymore than TG4 but the basic fact is that it is in english.

Indeed no one here is denying the fact that people like yourself have issue with the Irish language and TG4, even though TG4 has subtitles and many international programming in English.

It is also true to point out that unlike on cable and Satellite 3e practically have a monopoly on the type of programming it provides, it does not have to compete with a similar TV station, such as RTÉ Plus/RTÉ Three, on saorview.

We will just have to wait an see how TG4 and 3e and indeed Irish audiences react to Saorview but with the lack of other channels available it is a disappointment.

It is a basic fact that TG4 if it produced its programmes in English would gain a large audience, perhaps both TV3 and RTÉ Two might take a leaf out of the Irish Language service and provide the strong type of programming that TG4 provides but in English, I have no doubt that both would see an increase in their audience share and both have the money to do it. It is also a fact that TG4 could buy X-factor and retain its audience share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

The truth hurts, sadly.

Then might I suggest you take your views to a political forum, they have no place here.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

Elmo wrote: »
    Much the same difference Soarview would be the lesser without RTÉ 1, 2 and TG4.

You could also Say that 3e is not only purely ITV2esq but also ITV1+1esq.

Okay 3e has 1.3%, Setanta has 0.4 while RTÉ Two is shedding viewers at an enormous rate currently at 6% (average of 8%) lucky for them this year they have Euro 2012, GAA and Olympics (Should bring them up to 12% for 2012 if they don't loose any more audience between now and then).

Why not compare Irish Audience of UK channels with Irish Channels? But would you prefer that TG4 is the 4th most popular channel so? :rolleyes:

Obviously Saorview wouldn't survive/exist without RTE, and TG4 is a valuable component too - if i had to list the stations in terms of importance to me as a viewer, it would obviously be: RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4, 3e etc...

I was only commenting on the fact that TV3 and 3e seem to get bashed quite a lot.. but they are a welcome addition to the saorview line-up in my opinion - the more stations the merrier! The current line-up is decent with the RTE stations, TV3's offerings and TG4 - it will be BRILLIANT with the addition of TG4HD, TV3HD, and a number of other stations from both broadcasters which are listed as possibilities:

Cúla 4
    TG4+1
    3KIDS
    3CLASSICS
    TV3+1
    Irish Film Channel
    Houses of the Oireachtas Channel
    Irish TV

I would also like to see the addition of NON RTE radio stations such as newstalk etc
    The truth hurts, sadly.

That is absolutely absurd.. in all honesty what are you basing that statement on... please explain if you can -

Irish is the national language of Ireland, and those that speak it deserve to be able to watch a station that is broadcast in said language - And even saying that TG4 show tonnes of stuff in English - not like BBC alba or S4C that are entirely (correct me if im wrong) in Scottish and Welsh respectively -

Genuinely, Please explain this 'truth' of which you speak?

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

Irish is the national language of Ireland, and those that speak it deserve to be able to watch a station that is broadcast in said language - And even saying that TG4 show tonnes of stuff in English - not like BBC alba or S4C that are entirely (correct me if im wrong) in Scottish and Welsh...
    TG4 would be in the top five of most watched stations in our house, with Alba in the top ten. Both stations feature more of our Irish culture, than any of the 'main' Irish stations. As a result, my Irish is now pretty good and one of my children is a fluent speaker.

Genuinely, Please explain this 'truth' of which you speak?
    Or don't, at least not in this forum.

Surely TG4 should be in the Irish language for all its programming, if it is to be acknowledged as an Irish language channel which it was originally supposed to be.

And that is the 'truth'

Surely TG4 should be in the Irish language for all its programming, if it is to be acknowledged as an Irish language channel which it was originally supposed to be.

And that is the 'truth'

Surely RTÉ One, RTÉ Two and TV3 should all provide 100% Irish programming after all aren't they Irish television stations. Not that you could provided 24hour stations with purely Ireland AM (sorry more of the TV3 bashing ;) )
    Cúla 4
    TG4+1
    3KIDS
    3CLASSICS
    TV3+1
    Irish Film Channel
    Houses of the Oireachtas Channel
    Irish TV

They problem is when will they happen?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76760775&postcount=428
    from http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056194520&page=29
    I would also like to see the addition of NON RTE radio stations such as newstalk etc

They would need to take an interest but Raidio RíRá, Easy FM and an Classic 1980s radio station might happen. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

...And that is the 'truth'

“You can’t handle the truth!” Col. Jessep - A Few Good Men 1992

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,590 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

NewHillel wrote: »
    “You can’t handle the truth!” Col. Jessep - A Few Good Men 1992

You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! Bah! I deride your truth handling abilities!

Sideshow Bob 1994

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

In my opinion, TG4 have always been advanced, and have done a great job for the low budget they get, as opposed to RTE who are always making technical mistakes and couldn't care less about the quality of their transmissions and the reliability of their transmissions (look how many times the HD broadcasts on RTE Two have been mistake ridden).

TG4 have a lot of imports, and sports. Since they're getting HD feeds for these, regardless of how many viewers they have, they should be delivered to the viewer in the highest quality. I'd imagine that in 2016 if TG4 were still in 576i and you wanted to watch something on TG4, you'd be complaining about the quality of the picture, yet you can't justify the early transition to HD.

I say bring it on, and good luck getting started with it, and I'd imagine they'll have a lot more HD from the start as opposed to RTE's waste of bandwidth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Dose anyone know if TG4 have any plans on puting in a 'red button' option for getting rid of the subtitles in English, like S4C has, I just find them distracting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

No attempt is made to highlight those programmes on TG4 that are worth watching.

Whel thats not entirly true, there is, but only in Irish language media. If you want to know whats on TG4, have a look in Foinse, its free with the Indo every Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

RTE stations and TG4 is hardly a sufficiant line-up - RTE+1 RTE-JR, and RTE NEWS NOW, surely these are more pointless -
    RTE Junior is first choice for the children in our house now, rather than cbeebies. It's missed at the weekends. And we actually use RTE News Now a fair bit (a bit less now they've stopped replaying 6.1 at 7, without adverts, presumably to keep advertisers happy by making people watch the replay on RTE1+1). RTE didn't even want RTE1+1!

On TG4, for me has little irish, it being on saorview has meant I watch it a lot more - it's amazing the difference epg/ information button makes so you know in advance what the programme is.

Basically, I think all the channels you listed are watched more in our house than TV3/ 3e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why is RTE jr off air at the weekends? I'd have thought they could simply repeat weekday programmes for practically no additional cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

mike65 wrote: »
    Why is RTE jr off air at the weekends? I'd have thought they could simply repeat weekday programmes for practically no additional cost.

This from RTÉ in late 2010
    It is not possible to provide this service at the weekend in Phase 1 due to technological limitations.

In Phase Two, investment in technology and infrastructure will enable the creation of a unique looped schedule for this service running from 0700 to 1900 and will enable RTÉ to broaden the service to weekends.

Phase Two is planned to commence, finances permitting, in May 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I love TG4 in general, some excellent documentaries, great live sports coverage (especially of the club GAA and national league, when RTE only seem to care about the Championship) and an attitude that puts RTE to shame. The possibility of getting TG4 in HD interests and excites me, as a sports fan, as hurling is a sport that demands high resolution.

As a very brief and not very scientific study of programming, lets compare the TG4 and the other Irish channels listings for tomorrow.

RTE One:

Teleshopping, repeats of the previous days Afternoon programmes, repeat of a medical show, Dr. Phil, three Anitpodean soap-operas (two of which are shared with RTE Two), a BBC medical drama and a BBC soap opera, a repeat of a cooking show, a repeat of Fair City, two "lifestyle magazine" shows that take up the slot from 4pm until the Nuacht and 6.1 news, Nationwide, Come West Along The Road (a good show, I'll admit)[/COLOR], Eastenders (again), Who Knows Ireland Best?, News, Late Late Show, Lotto and News.

I think it's fair to say that the medical shows are there to extend the lives of the ageing audience, and then Tubridy appears to kill them off at the end of the night, with whoever else was stuck hanging around the RTE studio.

RTE Two:

Kids shows from 06.55 until 18.00 (none of which I'm familiar with but very few of them seem to be indigenous), two Australian soap opera's, u20's Rugby, Boxing, an American crime-drama series, a Jack Black movie (which rates a whopping 5.6 on IMDB).

Nothing there to stimulate my imagination, sorry. Between the two RTE channels, there is a maximum of one hour of television that appeals to me, and I could almost guarantee there'd be a foreign digital channel with something of more interest at those times.

TV3:

Repeat of Vincent Browne, Ireland AM, Jeremy f*cking Kyle, The Morning Show, Midday, repeat of Xpose[/COLOR], three back-to-back repeats of Coronation Street, a show about people whose houses have been destroyed, Jeremy F. Kyle USA, Judge Judy, [COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]News at 5.30, Xpose, Come Dine With Me, Emmerdale, Coronation Street, Mike and Molly, Coronation Street (again... fifth time today), Take Me Out Ireland, Tallafornia, Sex Tips for Girls, Eurotrash, Area 22 (Rugby chat show)

Whilst I'd laud them for having live shows for most of the morning and having some Irish programming in the evening, everything else is Lowest Common Denominator stuff. 2.5hrs of Coronation Street, two separate helpings of Jeremy Kyle and plenty of other tripe. Chewing gum for the eyes. I won't even waste my time by listing 3E's nonsense.

TG4:

France 24, Teleshopping, Childrens programming from 7am until 11am, repeat of Muintir Na Mara (talking about the future of the fishing industry), repeat of Comhra (profile of a famous Irish language activist), repeat of the Golden Girls (bless), repeat of Ros na Run, weather, Bonanza, news, Childrens programming from 2pm to 6pm, Wipeout USA, music-weather-news, Smidirini (bit's and pieces show, I think), Geantrai (music show), Seo Spoirt (preview of the weekends sport), weather, Pale Rider (Clint Eastwood movie, scores 7.1 on IMDB), repeat of Hector san Afraic.

Didn't really help the point I'm trying to make here, really poor selection of shows that makes me think it's no wonder people here are so against paying the licence fee.

And that is the 'truth'
    The truth hurts, sadly.

Tg4 should only be compared with TV3 and RTE, and not uk channels for viewership percentages.
    Compare and weep, TG4 ratings are extremely low, due to lack of irish speaking natives.
    So why is boards.ie not in Irish then if it is the native language of ireland
    Stating jewish was an example of a minority language group here, could be arabic, polish( probably more polish speakers here than irish), spanish etc, even, dare I say it greek
    I don't see how it should use up bandwidth on the DTT transmitters so it can be HD for the few hundred who watch it daily.
    Can RTE1 not be HD or is that in the pipeline. Tv3 probably could not afford it, but somehow TG4 can, how is that possible, government intervention thats why.
    TG4 generally gets just under 2% of viewers on a daily basis, not sure where you get that figure from. It's not a fully public service broadcaster now though and with that many viewers can it be explained how it is being funded?
    It doesn't make any commercial sense and as for choice and variety on irish tv, you can probably thank the brits for that and not by an irrelevant tv channel such as TG4
    Bit pointless, who will watch it or understand it
    Total waste of resources, TG4 get hardly any viewers compared to the other channels. Only exists due to the Irish speaking communities having too much say in this country.
    It will be done for political reasons only, its ridiculous
    The ratings will be higher when not in irish, that is the paradox.
    Never said it shouldn't exist, its just not a good choice putting TG4 onto HD, majority of the country can't understand irish and the listings in the newspapers too. Why not have a jewish channel as well, as they are a minority too in ireland.
    I said minority group, irish speakers compare to jews

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

I just have the Saorview channels at home, but any night I turn on the TV, TG4 is usually the only channel that doesn't have some mind-numbing **** on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

@ Mr Joe Soap, a huge amount of the kids stuff on RTE2/RTEjr is Irish made,I was genuinely surprised by the sheer amount of animated stuff even shown on UK tv that's made here.eg. Octonauts,Noddy and many more.A lot of talent here when it comes to kids stuff,now if only the adult stuff was up to standard.

I tuned in the saorview channels on my tv but they are only used for HD sports on RTE2.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I love TG4 in general, some excellent documentaries, great live sports coverage (especially of the club GAA and national league, when RTE only seem to care about the Championship) and an attitude that puts RTE to shame. The possibility of getting TG4 in HD interests and excites me, as a sports fan, as hurling is a sport that demands high resolution.

As a very brief and not very scientific study of programming, lets compare the TG4 and the other Irish channels listings for tomorrow.

RTE One:

Teleshopping, repeats of the previous days Afternoon programmes, repeat of a medical show, Dr. Phil, three Anitpodean soap-operas (two of which are shared with RTE Two), a BBC medical drama and a BBC soap opera, a repeat of a cooking show, a repeat of Fair City, two "lifestyle magazine" shows that take up the slot from 4pm until the Nuacht and 6.1 news, Nationwide, Come West Along The Road (a good show, I'll admit)[/COLOR], Eastenders (again), Who Knows Ireland Best?, News, Late Late Show, Lotto and News.

I think it's fair to say that the medical shows are there to extend the lives of the ageing audience, and then Tubridy appears to kill them off at the end of the night, with whoever else was stuck hanging around the RTE studio.

RTE Two:

Kids shows from 06.55 until 18.00 (none of which I'm familiar with but very few of them seem to be indigenous), two Australian soap opera's, u20's Rugby, Boxing, an American crime-drama series, a Jack Black movie (which rates a whopping 5.6 on IMDB).

Nothing there to stimulate my imagination, sorry. Between the two RTE channels, there is a maximum of one hour of television that appeals to me, and I could almost guarantee there'd be a foreign digital channel with something of more interest at those times.

TV3:

Repeat of Vincent Browne, Ireland AM, Jeremy f*cking Kyle, The Morning Show, Midday, repeat of Xpose[/COLOR], three back-to-back repeats of Coronation Street, a show about people whose houses have been destroyed, Jeremy F. Kyle USA, Judge Judy, [COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]News at 5.30, Xpose, Come Dine With Me, Emmerdale, Coronation Street, Mike and Molly, Coronation Street (again... fifth time today), Take Me Out Ireland, Tallafornia, Sex Tips for Girls, Eurotrash, Area 22 (Rugby chat show)

Whilst I'd laud them for having live shows for most of the morning and having some Irish programming in the evening, everything else is Lowest Common Denominator stuff. 2.5hrs of Coronation Street, two separate helpings of Jeremy Kyle and plenty of other tripe. Chewing gum for the eyes. I won't even waste my time by listing 3E's nonsense.

TG4:

France 24, Teleshopping, Childrens programming from 7am until 11am, repeat of Muintir Na Mara (talking about the future of the fishing industry), repeat of Comhra (profile of a famous Irish language activist), repeat of the Golden Girls (bless), repeat of Ros na Run, weather, Bonanza, news, Childrens programming from 2pm to 6pm, Wipeout USA, music-weather-news, Smidirini (bit's and pieces show, I think), Geantrai (music show), Seo Spoirt (preview of the weekends sport), weather, Pale Rider (Clint Eastwood movie, scores 7.1 on IMDB), repeat of Hector san Afraic.

Didn't really help the point I'm trying to make here, really poor selection of shows that makes me think it's no wonder people here are so against paying the licence fee.

:rolleyes:

All these channels have good and bad points, still not enough to suggest TG4 to be in HD taking up our 'precious' bandwidth.

LOTR eat your heart out.

All these channels have good and bad points, still not enough to suggest TG4 to be in HD taking up our 'precious' bandwidth.

LOTR eat your heart out.

Precious? there is very little else on Saorview for space to be considered precious even with the additional services, which most likely won't be available until '13 (if at all) and at that stage Mux 3 will be available if needed. You could possible add RTÉ ONE HD and 3eHD to the list of HD services at that stage.

TV3 and TG4 HD will happen circa 2013. IMO. Little point in them launching in 2012.

Not forgetting all the +1 channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Looking back at the tread it was all cob wobble talk, none of this turned out to be true. If only we knew.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don’t drag up old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement