Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

colregs. they exist for a reason!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Aluminium (and fibreglass) always gives way to steel ;)

I thought that there was an "exclusion zone" around shipping in the Solent, patrolled by the pilot boat and tugs? Unless they had passed outside of this and were proceeding to open sea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Looking at the cardinal marks in the video they where well inside the navigation channel. The ship had right of way on for numerous reasons and from the sound signals they tried to avoid a collision with the yacht. The ship is limited in Manoeuvrability, by draught and had tugs assisting.
    The skipper of the yacht is an idiot and they got off lightly only losing a mast. Hopefully no one was injured and they had spare underwear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

It mentioned in the comments that the pilot boat was distracted dealing with another boat that almost got hit.

And check out the guy that bails overboard at 24 seconds with a massive tanker closing in on him. Smart.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

article-2023307-0D53E8A000000578-563_634x453.jpg

article-2023307-0D52A7B200000578-128_634x429.jpg

I hear this may be an ex Irish owned Corby 33?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Silver Breeze

Tabnabs wrote: »

I hear this may be an ex Irish owned Corby 33?

Once a Galway boat. Linky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

i dont think its a corby. hull shape and coach roof dont look very corby. more looks like a standrad production boat. Skipper deserves a good pair of specs and kick up the backside. I think loosing the race is better then playing chicken with a tanker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

neris wrote: »
    i dont think its a corby. hull shape and coach roof dont look very corby. more looks like a standrad production boat. Skipper deserves a good pair of specs and kick up the backside. I think loosing the race is better then playing chicken with a tanker

No it's definitely a Corby 33.
    She is one of three boats built by Harley Racing Yachts

As stated in the link above the yacht "Atalanta" was previously called "That's Life " and was a Galway Bay SC boat.

"That's Life" was a successfully raced on the west coast.

Last winter, while on her overland delivery to the UK after being sold out of Galway, the delivery truck driver miscalculated the height of a bridge ripping the mast, which was lying on either the coach house roof or the deck, from the boat.

To make matters worse, the mast was fastened to the winches which in turn were also pulled from the deck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

rumour has it....

the crew were apparently mostly royal navy, and the skipper a naval lieutenant. Words fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭dnme

Colregs? Is that an abbreviation for colision regulations?

Colrgs - International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭batman1

Here's hoping the yacht skipper is prosecuted and punished appropriately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

rumour has it....

the crew were apparently mostly royal navy, and the skipper a naval lieutenant. Words fail.

did the royal navy not manage to ground a very expensive submarine last year aswell? what next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Looking at the cardinal marks in the video they where well inside the navigation channel. The ship had right of way on for numerous reasons and from the sound signals they tried to avoid a collision with the yacht. The ship is limited in Manoeuvrability, by draught and had tugs assisting.

Just because there's cardinal marks does not mean the sailing v/l was the give way v/l, unless its a TSS or Narrow Channel

The ship doesn't seem to be displaying his daytime signals for Restricted in Ability to Manoeuvre, Constrained by Draught or Not Under Command, hence the likelihood is he wasn't any of the above

Unless special reg's dictated otherwise (in accordance with Rule 1), the power driven vessel was at fault

If special rules were in effect, delighted to see that the yacht got thought quiet a frightening lesson but avoided injury

WAFI's...

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Just because there's cardinal marks does not mean the sailing v/l was the give way v/l, unless its a TSS or Narrow Channel

The ship doesn't seem to be displaying his daytime signals for Restricted in Ability to Manoeuvre, Constrained by Draught or Not Under Command, hence the likelihood is he wasn't any of the above

You're right it should have been showing a cylinder. Still though, doesn't take a genius to work out it's not going to turn on a coin! All that aside...
    tommyhaas wrote: »
    Unless special reg's dictated otherwise (in accordance with Rule 1), the power driven vessel was at fault

If special rules were in effect, delighted to see that the yacht got thought quiet a frightening lesson but avoided injury

WAFI's...

There were special regulations in place. I'm not sure if it's always a local rule, but I hear it was also stated in the sailing instructions that a 100m clearance either side of, as well as a 1000m clearance ahead of, all traffic in the TSS was to be maintained. Which explains why there was an assiting boat going over to the yacht well before it collided telling it to back off.

But yea, skipper sure did learn a lesson about playing chicken with supertankers anyway and tanker should have been displaying his shapes. I hear though from other forums that it's not uncommon to see ships that are LBD without shapes up in that area.

As an aside...
    The term "vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver" means a vessel which from the nature of her work is restricted in her ability to maneuver as required by these Rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of another vessel. The term "vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver" shall include but not be limited to:
    • (i) A vessel engaged in laying, servicing, or picking up a navigational mark, submarine cable or pipeline;
    • (ii) A vessel engaged in dredging, surveying or underwater operations;
    • (iii) A vessel engaged in replenishment or transferring persons, provisions or cargo while underway;
    • (iv) A vessel engaged in the launching or recovery of aircraft;
    • (v) A vessel engaged in mineclearance operations;
    • (vi) A vessel engaged in a towing operation such as severely restricts the towing vessel and her tow in their ability to deviate from their course.

Aside from the TSS and local regs and being clearly constrained by draught despite the lack of shape (putting Mr. Yacht firmly in the wrong) and with regards to the definition of restricted in ability to manoeuvre, I know it says not limited to but I'd reckon the tanker wasn't restricted in ability to manoeuvre. I don't think having a brake tug attached counts as towing or does it? Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Aside from the TSS and local regs and being clearly constrained by draught despite the lack of shape (putting Mr. Yacht firmly in the wrong) and with regards to the definition of restricted in ability to manoeuvre, I know it says not limited to but I'd reckon the tanker wasn't restricted in ability to manoeuvre. I don't think having a brake tug attached counts as towing or does it? Thoughts?

I've never gone RAM when entering/leaving port with tugs. You do often see towing v/l's displaying their RAM lights, but its generally tugs and barges etc

Regarding having the tug, its irrelevant whether or not the ship/tug is towing, the only issue is if they are engaged in a towing operation such as severely restricts his ability to manoeuvre. The fact though that they're in a port, you'll always find the Port have their own regulations requiring sailing v/l's etc to keep clear of shipping traffic

Update

Case going to court in October for 5 day trial. Be interesting to see the outcome...
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cowes-week-crash-video-yacht-1853522

Guilty

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-24670515
    A Royal Navy officer who was skippering a racing yacht that hit an oil tanker in the Solent has been found guilty of contravening maritime regulations.

The Atalanta of Chester, belonging to Lt Roland Wilson, of Stanley, Perthshire, collided with the 260m-long Hanne Knutsen during Cowes Week 2011.

The 32-year-old was convicted at Southampton Magistrates' Court of impeding the passage of a vessel.

He was also found guilty of failing to keep a proper lookout.

Mr Wilson, who was a serving Royal Navy officer at the time but is now a lieutenant in the reserves, had seen the tanker from five miles (8km) away, the court heard.

It had been making its way to Fawley oil refinery. Wilson had told the court the ship had signalled to turn but never did, describing its manoeuvre as "unexpected".

District Judge Anthony Callaway said he took the wrong decision in continuing towards the path of the tanker and not taking evasive action.

The moment of impact was filmed and the video posted on YouTube, where it was watched more than 924,000 times.

Mr Callaway said: "Fortuitous it was that there was no loss of life. The potential for even greater and tragic consequence is, in my judgement, apparent.
    '£100,000 costs'

"This was a serious yacht crewed by serious people in a regatta for a serious purpose. It was well equipped in terms of experience and ability to deal with any situation.

"This was not some Saturday afternoon jaunt by some inadequate vessel crewed by inexperienced, clueless and foolhardy people who frankly have no business being on the water at all.

"The yacht took a decision, and as I find the wrong decision, to sail towards the problem into the path of the tanker across a narrow channel. It should have kept clear and in the worst event used her engine."

The judge said conditions in the Solent were crowded due to Cowes Week but the yacht's crew were experienced enough to perform the "difficult manoeuvre".

He added: "The fact it didn't do so was the product not of a lack of skill, but the product of the wrong decision at the wrong time, for which the skipper, Roland Wilson, must take responsibility."

Cowes Week sailing director Stuart Quarrie witnessed the collision from the shore.

He said: "It developed very quickly and at the time, there was no idea if anyone was seriously hurt.

"Thankfully, the injuries sustained were relatively minor.

"I don't think there's any long-term damage to the relationship between the regatta and the port authorities from this incident because of the professional manner in which it has been dealt with."

Mr Wilson was ordered to pay a fine of £3,000, and costs of more than £100,000.

The yacht, which had a crew of eight, suffered a damaged mast and its sail almost became entangled in the anchor of the Hanne Knutsen.

One crew member suffered minor head injuries and another abandoned ship after the collision with the 120,000-tonne tanker.

Mr Wilson was convicted of one count of failing to keep a proper lookout and two counts of impeding the passage of a tanker in a restricted channel.

Someone over on sailing anarchy summed it up nicely..
    I can't think of another occasion in the solent, when someone has actually managed to pull off the dream move of hitting a 120,000 ton bright orange tanker, which they acknowledged seeing from 5 miles away....He came from a position south of the tankers track, into a safe position north of it, gybed and headed back at it, with ample opportunity to bear away and avoid, right up to a minute away from it.

I do kind of respect Roland though, having pulled that move off, lost a rig and a lovely pink spinnaker, nearly killed a crew member or two, being You-tubed to nearly 1m views, and having had his RN career ruined (despite demonstrating obvious time/distance/collision assessment skills that should have seen a strong future in the missile targeting department) to still decide that going to court and pleading innocent is his best move takes some cahunas that I feel we should all recognise and congratulate.

Advertisement