Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor

Options
  • 08-08-2011 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

Anyone just see a meteor burn up in the north of our sky. Was out a few mins ago and just caught it burning up and breaking up, only saw a few seconds of it.
    Looked like a White flame from it. It came from Ursa Major direction and finished under Cassiopia as I looked at it.
    I am in tipp.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Yes!!! I nearly crashed the car looking at it. Absolutely stunning. It seemed to me that it was incredibly close. Looked like it landed in the New Inn area. I've never seen the like of it. It was white at first; then it became orange and green as it fragmented. Remarkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 turkey46

I saw it too. I'm in west limerick. What was it? I've never seen anything like that before. Is it a big deal or does it happen often? Would there be remains of it left?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I saw it too in Offaly.

Truely magnificent experience!

I was out walking the dog down a dark country lane and it illuminated the whole lane with the white light it was producing!

I saw it break up too it appeared to run from South to North my estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 EllenD

I seen it too in Dublin. No idea what it was , is it not too close to be a comet?

This thing must have been huge. I mean, I could see so much detail I thought it was right above me. I could see sparks and embers coming off it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 turkey46

Tremelo wrote: »
    This thing must have been huge. I mean, I could see so much detail I thought it was right above me. I could see sparks and embers coming off it.
    Me too.. the detail was awesome. It was huge. One in a lifetime moment right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Ugh, why do I always miss this sh*t... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

godamn it i was goin to go out for a walk and decided to have a mars ice cream instead,would love to see somethin like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I saw it too in Offaly.

Truely magnificent experience!

I was out walking the dog down a dark country lane and it illuminated the whole lane with the white light it was producing!

I saw it break up too it appeared to run from South to North my estimate.

No it was more of a north west to south east direction from where I was.
    It depends on where the poster in Dublin saw it, i.e. was it north of them. If it was then it could have been over Scotland and landing on far side of England for example.

Pretty cool alright, not my first meteor and hopefully not my last but definitely one of the better ones

I wonder if it could be classed as a fireball or a bolide. I'm annoyed that I was in the car when I noticed it. Had I been on foot, I surely would have seen it for longer. It was outside my field of vision but was so bright that it affected the sky that was in my field of vision, so I felt the need to turn towards it; that's when I saw it. At first I thought it was a UFO or a crashing plane. Its speed and hue were astonishing. It would have been nice to have had someone else with me at the time. But I'm glad some of you saw it too. I came straight to this forum when I got home.

• Advertisement

EllenD wrote: »
    I seen it too in Dublin. No idea what it was , is it not too close to be a comet?

If it were a comet, I think there's a good chance that we wouldn't still be here :) Just a big rock vaporized by the ocean of gases above our heads.

Earth 1, meteor nil :)

Im not sure what direction it went, im in north county dublin ! Looked like it was south of me !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

damn it!!!!

Apologies I know nothing about astronomy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

trebor28 wrote: »
    No it was more of a north west to south east direction from where I was.
    It depends on where the poster in Dublin saw it, i.e. was it north of them. If it was then it could have been over Scotland and landing on far side of England for example.

Pretty cool alright, not my first meteor and hopefully not my last but definitely one of the better ones

Yes you are correct on the direction i just checked my compass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

I didn't see the one the OP mentioned but I saw an absolute beauty about 10 minutes ago. Was out the back smoking a fag and was looking at Jupiter when a meteor fell just to the East of it. It was the brightest one I've ever seen and looked exactly like a firework except it was traveling downward about 10 degrees off vertical (towards the East). It gave off a blue/white light with a hint of green towards the end.

My location is Limerick

Is the fact that it was a white light have any significance?
    Would it just be the speed of it that caused it to burn that way or would it tell us something about it's chemical make up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I didn't see it, but as I am in Wales it would have to be extraordinary for me to have seen it. I have seen this sort of thing before though. I suspect the colours are due to what the thing is made up from. But they are a wonderful sight, when you get to see them that is.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

I saw it, I'm in Kerry. It was amazing to see it so bright and then break up. Would say it landed somewhere. What I wouldn't do to get a hold of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

From what I gather there was at least 3 between midnight and 4am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

trebor28 wrote: »
    Is the fact that it was a white light have any significance?
    Would it just be the speed of it that caused it to burn that way or would it tell us something about it's chemical make up?

The colour of a burning meteor IS an indication of its make up and composition. The following should help:

Green - Nickel
    Yellow/White - Sodium
    Yellow - Iron
    Blue/White - Magnesium
    Purple/White - Calcium
    Red and Orange - Silicates (Sand)

Almost all meteorites contain sillicates but it is the added presence of other elements and metals that will add to the colour.

Perseids Meteor Shower - August 12th
    This is the meteor shower peaking on August 12th/13th this weekend, so you will see an increase up to this date and then a gradual decrease to 'normal' limits in the following 10 days. The Perseids are known for fireballs or 'bollides' every year, so despite the Full Moon on the night of maximum, I'd still keep an eye out.

Here is an info sheet I made on behalf of the club (MAC) you can dowload:

http://www.midlandsastronomy.com/Perseids-Meteor-Shower-2011.pdf

Clear Skies,

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

So there's a good chance of seeing more tonight? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Definitely, they've been around for a week or two and the peak is this weekend coming up. Though from the sounds of it the peak won't have the most awesome singular meteor this year. :P

Great. I saw a huge one last year. Guess I will have to leave my room for tonight and have a look for an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

A few little quickfire facts about meteors for you:

* Average speed through the atmosphere is between 90,00mph and 125,000mph, hence the speed and fiery nature.
    * Your typical meteor around the same consistency and size as granular sand.
    * Fireballs or Bollides would be bigger than marbles to get a really bright one.
    * A meteor would need to be bigger than a football to make it through the 60+/- miles of atmosphere which protects us.
    * Typically 500,000 meteors burn up every day on Earth adding around 400 tonnes of weight to the planet.
    * Milligram meteoroids are about a million times more common than meteoroids weighing a kilogram.
    * The largest meteorite to have been found intact to strike Earth? The 66 tonnes Hoba Meteorite found in Namibia and estimate to have crashed here around 80,000 years ago.

:-)

Seanie.

So how big was that huge one that lit up the entire sky in South Africa or that one in Canada then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I would love to have seen that.

I wonder has any camera caught it.

Seanie M wrote: »
    The colour of a burning meteor IS an indication of its make up and composition. The following should help:

Green - Nickel
    Yellow/White - Sodium
    Yellow - Iron
    Blue/White - Magnesium
    Purple/White - Calcium
    Red and Orange - Silicates (Sand)

Almost all meteorites contain sillicates but it is the added presence of other elements and metals that will add to the colour.

Perseids Meteor Shower - August 12th
    This is the meteor shower peaking on August 12th/13th this weekend, so you will see an increase up to this date and then a gradual decrease to 'normal' limits in the following 10 days. The Perseids are known for fireballs or 'bollides' every year, so despite the Full Moon on the night of maximum, I'd still keep an eye out.

Here is an info sheet I made on behalf of the club (MAC) you can dowload:

http://www.midlandsastronomy.com/Perseids-Meteor-Shower-2011.pdf

Clear Skies,

Seanie.

is there a particular direction they would be coming from over this time or will it just be a random scattering?
    (sorry just read your pdf)

might go out tonight and take a camera with me and see can i get any thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Cadoche

This is what is called 'El Magnifico'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Seanie M wrote: »
    * Typically 500,000 meteors burn up every day on Earth adding around 400 tonnes of weight to the planet.
    Typo somewhere? That give an average weight of 800g landed.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement