Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Esel wrote: »
    Typo somewhere? That give an average weight of 800g landed.

Maybe not. Even if something burns up completely in our atmosphere, isn't it still adding mass to our planet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I saw a fabulous fireball a few years ago, around the time of the Perseids. It seems to be a good time of year to see them. There always seems to be reports of them around August, moreso than with the other meteor showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭superdog

I saw this in Westmeath at 12:26 am the other morning. It was excellent, genuinely impressive lighting up the sky before appearing to disintegrate well before the horizon. It was from NNW to a Southerly direction. Brilliant stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Esel

2 stroke wrote: »
    Maybe not. Even if something burns up completely in our atmosphere, isn't it still adding mass to our planet?
    The meteors would still have to have had an average weight of 800g each, though....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

The meteors would still have to have had an average weight of 800g each, though....

No, not really. Every day, there will probably be a handful that will make it through the atmosphere due to their large size. The chances of finding them, considering the amount of any square measurement of land we occupy on this planet as well as land versus water, gives pretty low odds! The rest are small fragments that don't have a popsicle's chance in Hell of getting through.

Seanie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Seanie M wrote: »
    Typically 500,000 meteors burn up every day on Earth adding around 400 tonnes of weight to the planet.
    Typo somewhere? That give an average weight of 800g landed.
    2 stroke wrote: »
    Seanie M wrote: »
    No, not really. Every day, there will probably be a handful that will make it through the atmosphere due to their large size. The chances of finding them, considering the amount of any square measurement of land we occupy on this planet as well as land versus water, gives pretty low odds! The rest are small fragments that don't have a popsicle's chance in Hell of getting through.

Seanie.
    you don't have to find anything to agree that my arithmetic adds (or divides) up... Massive or as small as a grain of sand, they would still have to average 800g before entering our atmosphere - which seems hard to believe, hence my first post.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

you don't have to find anything to agree that my arithmetic adds (or divides) up... Massive or as small as a grain of sand, they would still have to average 800g before entering our atmosphere - which seems hard to believe, hence my first post.

Are they not actualy weightless before entering our atmosphere?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Do not get confused between weight and mass. Weight is a phenomenon of gravity. Mass is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

saw another meteor tonight.

think it was roughly 21.45.
    it was in the eastern sky, was almost vertical in its descent. it was ENE from my point of view.
    it burned quite long too, not the quick flash you might normally see.

it was white/yellow to my eye.

anyone else see it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

Yes, I saw it. Had a beautiful long tail on it. Between Jupiter and that it was a great night of veiwing! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement