Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.17HMR/.22Hornet/.220Swift or .223

Options
  • 08-08-2011 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Well lads!

Most lads on here have probably seen posts from me.

Back when my auld lad was a gun dealer I had a much better finger on the pulse of shooting things ;)

Anyways, my youngest brother has told me he wishes to licence the Remmy 700 in .220Swift, currently licensed by myself. I hold this gun as my other (younger) brother died a few years ago, so I licensed his gun in trust for the youngest boy.

If he is successful in his application, and there's no reason he shouldn't be, my whole family are licensed firearms holders, hunters and outdoorsy types.

What gun do I replace the Remmy with?

I got rid my Steyr Mannlicher Luxus in .270 Win. Not having time to shoot Deer since the kids arrived!

We all love shooting my CZ452 in .22rf, subsonics and no recoil=happy shooters!

I may have to talk to my local FO, but what do ye think the chances are of my getting a second .22rimfire, like a 10-22?

Failing that it's a licence transfer to...

.22Hornet Krico I've seen online, reminds me of my auld lads Full Stock 5.6x57!

Another Remmy .220 Swift or .223.

A CZ .223 Varminter.

or one of the many .17HMR, but I have a .22 rimfire, is there any advantage in swopping a centrefire .22 for another rimfire, if the Gardai would allow it?

Any ideas, suggestions or sites welcomed.

All depends on young boy (he's nearing 21) getting approved for his first gun, but all our family always has been ok, no need to assume his application might fail.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Can he afford to run the Swift ammo wise?? (being 21 may be a student?)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'll start the ball rolling by voting for the .223.
    1. Excellent caliber
    2. Cheap ammo (also medium priced, but none expensive)
    3. Plenty of excellent deals new and second hand to be got.
    4. No major recoil.
    5. Great ballistics/performance to 300, and well beyond if you're good enough.
    6. Falls into the same category as the .220 swift (foxing, but not deer legal). Should be a straight swap.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

Dont forget the .204 ;)

Similar ballistics to the 22-250 but not deer legal (some places 22-250 isnt enough for deer permit) but not as hot a round with less recoil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Ezridax wrote: »
    I'll start the ball rolling by voting for the .223.

I second the motion.

If the young fella has the cash to get his recommended daily allowance of vitamin .220, then go with the swift. Otherwise, go with the 223. Best price to performance value out there.

I would recommend: 22LR, 223, and 270 WCF. Those are three sound, fundamental choices for shooting in Ireland.

Slan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

FISMA wrote: »
    I second the motion.

If the young fella has the cash to get his recommended daily allowance of vitamin .220, then go with the swift. Otherwise, go with the 223. Best price to performance value out there.

I would recommend: 22LR, 223, and 270 WCF. Those are three sound, fundamental choices for shooting in Ireland.

Slan

I've just sold my .22WMR and am probably getting a .223.
    It will leave me with 12G, .22lr, .223 and .270 WIN :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

As always I will throw a vote in their for the 22 hornet.

1. Low rapport minimal recoil
    2. Excellent on foxes out to 200 yards
    3. Loads of second hand available
    3. A classic cartridge just look at its shape:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

I may have to talk to my local FO, but what do ye think the chances are of my getting a second .22rimfire, like a 10-22?
    is there any advantage in swopping a centrefire .22 for another rimfire, if the Gardai would allow it?

1) Id say you'll get 10/22 handy enough given you already have the CZ. And you could do alot worse then a 10/22. Im sure you know this already.

2) Well that depends on you. What would you call an "advantage"? The cheapest bullets your gonna get for 223 is 10euro a box of 20. THat means €2.50 every time you empty a mag.

Whereas a second 22lr has the advantage that you buy a box of 500 bullets for 25 euro. Thats an advantage.
    And I can sit here all day giving you advantages one caliber has over the other. We need to know what the rifle is to be used for. Are we talking target shooting- if so are you talking benchrest/ftr etc... or do you want a hunting rifle...??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Glensman wrote: »
    I've just sold my .22WMR and am probably getting a .223.
    It will leave me with 12G, .22lr, .223 and .270 WIN :D
    Oops, I forgot the absolute standard for gun owners, the one thing that definitely has to go in your Get Out Of Dodge (good-e) bag - the 12ga!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Cheers lads, some good ideas there. I had a Ruger Hornet years ago and was very fond of it for foxing.

I think I'll ask the local FO about getting a second .22rimfire instead of the Swift. If that's a non-runner it'll probably be a choice between .17HMR and .223 :D

Main thing is if the brother gets approved for a licence on the Swift at all.

Then I can watch the classifieds, seen some great deals on here over the years!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Cheers lads, some good ideas there. I had a Ruger Hornet years ago and was very fond of it for foxing.

I think I'll ask the local FO about getting a second .22rimfire instead of the Swift. If that's a non-runner it'll probably be a choice between .17HMR and .223 :D

Main thing is if the brother gets approved for a licence on the Swift at all.

Then I can watch the classifieds, seen some great deals on here over the years!

I wouldn't even ask him unless in a general chit chat sort of way, as in "When are you next in the station thinking of swopping the swift" id just apply there is nothing anywhere to say that you cant have 2. I have 2 shotguns/2 rifles albeit a hornet and a 22lr and I know a lad who has a cz 22lr and a anschutz target rifle he inherited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

we have a .22 Ruger Hornet as said in a post above great for foxes out to 200 and no recoil worth talking about a child could shoot it with ease and there is also a good selection of ammo for them , out of the guns you listed i'd pick the .22 hornet or the .223

Advertisement