Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm box siren

Options
  • 08-08-2011 3:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just a quick question about the pictured alarm box...

6019953995_9955705501.jpg

6019954467_c1aae2b39e.jpg

There seems to be a spare location for a second siren. Can i just go and install a second siren into the siren connection terminals for a louder sound.

Also, it states on the connection terminals, "120 Vac Siren"... do i have to match this, as i can only seem to locate 12 volt sirens on the net?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It had to be a speaker the same as what's there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

anyone have any links on where to buy one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Access wrote: »
    Hi,

Just a quick question about the pictured alarm box...

6019953995_9955705501.jpg

6019954467_c1aae2b39e.jpg

There seems to be a spare location for a second siren. Can i just go and install a second siren into the siren connection terminals for a louder sound.

Also, it states on the connection terminals, "120 Vac Siren"... do i have to match this, as i can only seem to locate 12 volt sirens on the net?

The sabb only takes one siren. If you where to add another one just connect it in with the other one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

anyone have any links on where to buy one of these?

Most of the supplierts here should be able to source one for you.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956748

altor wrote: »
    The sabb only takes one siren. If you where to add another one just connect it in with the other one.

Thanks altor for telling me the model... i wasnt too sure on what it was..

I have pictured wiring setup done by installer... (he has gone under since) could someone with the knowhow just confirm that this is right as the alarm works well, but we live near an esb sub station and we have had 3 or 4 long term maintenance scheduled power cuts this year already (each time between 3 and 8 hours) on our supply. The alarm has a power cut activation and goes off after a minimum/maximum setting of between 0 and 255 minutes (4hrs 15 min). I have it set at the max of 255 minutes and when this is reached the shagging thing activates and siren goes on and on... and we cannot silence it no matter how many times we enter the code. (causing me to head up a ladder to disconnect the siren box backup battery!)

Any chance someone could confirm that the wiring in the pics below is correct and maybe advise me on how to maybe wire in a siren kill switch or a similar solution to this problem. (i do have a decent knowledge of wiring/soldering etc... but i wouldnt be too up on alarm wiring

6 core wiring from panel... only 4 used...

Red = Bell +
    Black = Bell -
    Blue = bell Tmp
    Yellow = Com
    Green = Not used
    White = Not used

6023847394_9663e8887f.jpg

At the alarm siren box:

Red goes to External Bell +
    Black goes to External Bell -
    Blue goes onto two resistors and then into right cnc of Tamper Resisor (this doesnt look right to me IMHO)
    Yellow goes to AB HOLD (BHO)
    Green = Not used
    White = Not used

6023417445_e16486078b.jpg

• Advertisement

Is there no cut off setting rather than extending the time before the external bell will ring ? What system do you have installed ?
    You should also loop the external bell and strobe to get the strobe working in the external bell. Your installer must of being short of resistors to do that with two resistors :D

Thanks Altor,

I knew there was something wrong with that setup!

Its a Rokonet Wisdom System (Not great IMHO but does the job)

I have gone through the whole manual and i even have the engineers code to access the full menus, but cant see an way of silencing the siren after the power loss time limit has been reached.
    You should also loop the external bell and strobe to get the strobe working in the external bell

Do you mean linking the 120vac screw terminal outputs for the siren to the strobe +/- screw terminals?

The strobe never worked from day one, but there is two working leds that pulse in turn during normal operation. The connections to the strobe unit in the external box are JP4 and JP5 as in the second pic.

from what you can see is the whole lot wired up correctly as in the two pics? do i need to alter anything on the tamper res input (blue wire with two resistors) on the external box (as the resistor seems to need to be placed as the print on the circuit board shows maybe?) also one resistor looks reversed... dont know if that matters? Should i just get a proper rated resistor to replace?

How do i silence the siren after a power cut max time limit has been reached on this system.

Sorry for all the questions, but if you can help me out you would be a legend! Thanks!

I will have a look at the installer manual and let you know but there has to be a timer for it. There should be a 2K2 resistor in the bell. Yes just wire a cable from the external - to the strobe - same with the + from external to strobe.

altor wrote: »
    Yes just wire a cable from the external - to the strobe - same with the + from external to strobe.

Thanks for the info... will do that this weekend.

Do i need to alter anything on the tamper res input (blue wire with two resistors - apart from getting a proper rated resistor for it) on the external box, as the resistor seems to need to be placed as the print on the circuit board shows maybe?.. so that the way it should be is that the resistor has one leg in each of the "tamper resistor" screw terminals and the blue wire looks like it should be in that left "tamper resistor" screw terminal?

That's correct. I will have a look at the manual later and see if we can sort the other issue with the bell time. There has to be some solution.

• Advertisement

I just got a reply form rokonet customer services regarding the power loss activation... (i sent the email 3 weeks ago!)...
    When the panel detects an AC fault, it should only give you an annoying quiet ‘blip blip’ once a minute. It should not activate the Sounder outside.

What I am assuming is happening is that, the AAC goes off, the WisDom batteries get low and the Hold Off voltage from the WisDom to your Sounder is now deemed as too low. This make the Sounder believe that the WisDom has died (like a cable cut), so your outside Sounder begins to ring all by its self.

The "AC Off Delay Time" min/max time limit is only for reporting the fact that the system has loss ac input power to the follow me number (ie your personal mobile phone or a call receiving centre)

The only think I would suggest is to power your outside Sounder with a 12V supply (backed up by a 12V battery) instead of having the WisDom (10V with Ac on, 7V with AC off) power it.
    Basically, fit a 12V supply. Connect 0V from the new PSU to 0V of the WisDom. Move the +V volts wrire for the Sounder from the WisDom to the new 12V PSU.

I think your Sounder outside doesn’t like the WisDoms low voltage when the AC is off and the battery drains down.

Regards

his comments make sense now as when the power was off for long periods during the outages the alarm panel text and keypad lights would be very very faint when the external siren was sounding (due to the panel backup batteries being so low) and the panel internal siren was silent.

So it must be the fact that the external siren wasnt getting enough voltage from the panel to hold off on activating the external siren.

So, i checked the backup AA batteries in the wisdom (6 x 1.2v) with a volt meter and its only showing just under 4 volts instead of at least 7.2v! so its got to be that.

I will start by replacing the backup AA batteries in the wisdom with new rechargeable ni-mh AA batteries as per specs and that should power the alarm for long enough during any future power cuts.

Thanks for all the info Altor... your legend status certificate is in the post!

Thanks for all the info Altor... your legend status certificate is in the post!

Thanks Access :D

I would agree, the panel only takes a 9v external bell so the SABB would be killing your back up batteries plus when it looses power you dont have enough for the hold off to work
    The wired external bell off your system is a Xcess 3D or else even put up a wire free one since you do have issues with the power in your area.

This is the way the tamper should be wired on your bell:

cheers,

i did a google search for that xcess 3d... but found nothing?

would i be better off in the long run so to change that external 12 volt sabb unit for a 9volt unit?

Any particular 9volt makes/models you would recommend?

I had a quick look on line also but could not find one, it is the correct wired external bell for the system. R.E.W stocks the wisdom equipment. I would go for the wire free one if you keep getting the power cuts.

Advertisement