Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Phonecall

• 08-08-2011 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭

Okay everyone, I'm making a final stand.

We've been told were on the edge of the exchange in Kilkenny and thus we have slow broadband and when it rains the connection cuts out (Eircom deem that acceptable)

Basically I'm fed up paying for a connection that is slow when it works and thats not very often.

So what I want to know is:
    • Could demanding a new router help?
      Currently have the bog standard silver netopia router
    • Is there any guarenteed fast connection i can threaten were moving to?

Cheers in advance!

Comments

I don't think a new router will make any difference. If you're on the edge of the exchange, then don't expect any help from eircom regarding faster speeds.

What are you line stats? Get the from http://192.168.1.254

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

I don't think a new router will make any difference. If you're on the edge of the exchange, then don't expect any help from eircom regarding faster speeds.

What are you line stats? Get the from http://192.168.1.254

stats.jpg?t=1312812810

Hope thats what you need...i deleted some stuff i think is sensitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

63dB line attenuation, that's not good at all. I'm surprised you even have a connection. If you are at a large distance from the exchange, then you're at the edge of ADSL's capability, and as such it will never get any better than that. Changing modem, or ISP, won't help, unless the ISP uses a different technology. Check to see if there are any fixed wireless operators in the area. Digiweb Metro, Imagine Breeze, etc, are the ones you want. Imagine Wimax is not what you want, nor are 3G mobile operators.

If there is a fast connection available, then don't threaten to move, just move. eircom won't do anything to keep your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

good to know that we are dealing with piss poor broad band..many thanks for the reply...

see the problem is, were 3 miles outside kilkenny city...so...ill check out some of the ones like imagine breeze...

any more suggestions are welcome...i really havent a clue about anything after eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 djiv!de

eldwaro wrote: »
    good to know that we are dealing with piss poor broad band..many thanks for the reply...

see the problem is, were 3 miles outside kilkenny city...so...ill check out some of the ones like imagine breeze...

any more suggestions are welcome...i really havent a clue about anything after eircom.

to be honest if you are only 3km away you shouldnt have 63db. i have 6km of cable between me and the exchange and i have 63db but i sync at 2mbit :

DSL Mode: ADSL_G.dmt
    Speed:
    2048 kbps /256 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 63 dB /31 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 9 dB /27 dB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

djiv!de wrote: »
    to be honest if you are only 3km away you shouldnt have 63db.

3 miles, not km, and it's 3 miles outside of the city, not from the exchange. There could be another 2 or 3 miles to that.

The SNR margin is another one to look for. If it is low, then that could account for the disconnects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

What is the wiring inside the house like? If there are many sockets etc. they can add to the attenuation - if any unecessary ones can be stripped, and the modem moved closest to the point of entry to the house, there may be a marginal improvement...

Does anyone know of a modem with a particularly good adsl radio in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

How do you find out where the exchange for your area is?

Advertisement