Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric Scooter vs petrol

• 08-08-2011 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hmmmmmm - given that this is a 'motorbike' forum I'm envisioning some friendly abuse in response to my question!! :-)

We used to have a 50cc moped for nipping around town but it was nicked from outside my house by a couple of scobies. We're now thinking of replacing it and, given that we only ever do journeys of 8-10 miles or less, I'm thinking of going with an electric one.

We have a garage so it can be covered and charged every night

Question is - are they any good? Or should I stick with one powered by fossil fuels?! :-)

Thanks a million - Scott

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Electric scooters like the Vectrix or Peugeot Vivacity E, have a basic problem whereby the battery has to replaced after a few years for quite a bit of money. Not too many charging points as of now. Anyhow the price on a like for like basis with a simpler 50cc petrol scooter still seems too high for electric scooters. Personally, my little Honda Lead has done me well for the past few years. Too dull looking for any criminal, economic enough, reliable and fast enough for city and suburban traffic. I'd say something petrol and secondhand is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

Economically petrol has to be the answer plenty of miles per gal & easy to refuel.... batteries will only last a couple of years at best & expensive to replace... & if your concerned about burning fossil fuels it's very likely the electricity used for recharging is generated by coal or oil!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I had an electric scooter an EVT-168 once (in 2009) and while I found it good fun, I have to say it was no where near as convienent as a petrol scooter. In all honesty the running costs (in terms of service) were far lower than a petrol one.

I'd recommend stay petrol for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hmmmmmm - given that this is a 'motorbike' forum I'm envisioning some friendly abuse in response to my question!! :-)

We used to have a 50cc moped for nipping around town but it was nicked from outside my house by a couple of scobies. We're now thinking of replacing it and, given that we only ever do journeys of 8-10 miles or less, I'm thinking of going with an electric one.

We have a garage so it can be covered and charged every night

Get yourself a pedal assisted bicycle. They can do about 20km/h but you don't need a licence/insurance or lid to ride it. It also has the advantage that when it runs out of juice you can still cycle the heavy bike home.
    Or should I stick with one powered by fossil fuels?! :-)

Thanks a million - Scott

Averaged out the vast majority of our electricity comes from fossil fuels, even when we have wind power they can't fully wind down the fossil fuels stations as we need to maintain base load for when the wind isn't blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 james03x

I will recommend a petrol scooter. Cause it is easier to refuel than changing batteries. You have to change battery after driving 5 to 6 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

As someone with a Nissan Leaf, I've been looking around for an electric scooter/bike that could replace my M900 or MP3 250. At the moment I don't think there is much out there except the Brammo Empulse

http://www.brammo.com/empulse_specifications/

If you do find something, just make sure it uses lithium battery technology. There are different types of lithium chemistry used in batteries, the ones used for automotive purposes have a much longer lifespan than the type used in laptops and phones. For me I'll probably want to keep my M900 and replace the MP3 250 with an electric maxi scooter. However I don't want something slow, so I'll probably wait and see how the new BMW scooter works out once it hits production.

http://www.tgdaily.com/sustainability-features/66338-bmw-c-evolution-electric-scooter-hits-paris-runway

bmw-cevolution.jpg
    BMW plans to launch what it calls "an appropriate premium product on the market in the foreseeable future," and one key item around this is the fact the BMW C evolution is said in terms of acceleration from 0 to 60 km/h to comfortably hold "its own against current maxi scooters with a capacity of 600 cc or more." 

It offers some other interesting features as well, including a twin disc braking system with ABS, multi-functional instrument cluster and a LED daytime running light.

Based on your commuting requirement I also wouldn't worry much about charging spot availability. Your commute is so short it hardly seems to matter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

That new BMW has a range of only 60 miles or so, so is useless. That's before the price.
    I have an AA500 myself, so I'm not immune to the idea of it. But tco is way off.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    That new BMW has a range of only 60 miles or so, so is useless. That's before the price.
    I have an AA500 myself, so I'm not immune to the idea of it. But tco is way off.

60 miles or 100 kilometers would cover me handily for my daily commute. I'd prefer more of course though! The OP says he has a requirement of 8 to 10 miles per day :)

In terms of TCO, BMW being BMW it will be expensive. Their petrol powered 650cc scooters are around 12,000 euro, so even petrol BMW scooter is expensive. The EV scooter uses the chassis from the petrol scooters, so besides range I think it should be just as capable as the 12k petrol one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In terms of TCO, BMW being BMW it will be expensive. Their petrol powered 650cc scooters are around 12,000 euro

:eek: :eek: :eek: Talk about a Bavarian Money Waster!!

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    :eek: :eek: :eek: Talk about a Bavarian Money Waster!!

They look very nice though, I wouldn't mind one as my everyday comfy commuter :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement