Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft says: "PC gamers are better than console gamers"

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,381 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Jazzy wrote: »
    if PC games are more complicated and have a higher skill curve would that not mean the people that play them and get good at them are better then someone thats just as good on a less complicated, lower skill curved game.

lil' johnny might be very good at call of duty modern black war: rise of the gummy bears but put him onto ztn in quakelive and he would be totally lost.. and then if you get big jimmy who is very good at quakelive and put him into CoD, i find big jimmy adapts far better in this comparatively simple game. ive seen this dozens of times btw

missed out on a good one there jazzy, should of been lil Jimmy :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Headshot wrote: »
    missed out on a good one there jazzy, should of been lil Jimmy :D

upgraded him to big jimmy (he is part of the pc gaming master race after all... no space for lil guys)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

if PC games are more complicated and have a higher skill curve would that not mean the people that play them and get good at them are better then someone thats just as good on a less complicated, lower skill curved game.

lil' johnny might be very good at call of duty modern black war: rise of the gummy bears but put him onto ztn in quakelive and he would be totally lost.. and then if you get big jimmy who is very good at quakelive and put him into CoD, i find big jimmy adapts far better in this comparatively simple game. ive seen this dozens of times btw

Yeah for the last year I was away at college and wasn't able to play PC games due to only having a crappy laptop, and as such started playing CoD on the 360. This was the first time i've played an fps on a console since halo and after a few days was teabagging like a pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's a reason Halo Wars is nowhere near as intense as Starcraft. It's because if it was coming anywhere near as intense as starcraft it wouldn't be managable on a gamepad. Halo Wars is dumbed down compared to PC RTS games. Also nobody plays C&C:KW on the PC because of consolitis.
    Yet it would suit CoH and DoW2
    ríomhaire wrote: »
    Coward, what you should do is move towards him but slightly to the side and then circle strafe him while firing!
    :D

But yeah. There really is no argument here. For first person shooters a keyboard and mouse set up allows much faster and more precise aiming that a thumbstick can. There really isn't an argument against this. It's not a matter of preference, it's a matter of hardware. With a mouse you can aim as fast and precisely as you can move your own hand, with a thumbstick you're limited to whatever physical range the thumbstick can move in. You have a minimum and maximum speed you can aim at and it's much less precise. It's not a matter of preference in the same way whether a Land Rover or Smart Car is better for off-roading is not. It's a physical limit.

Now it's true that a keyboard set-up locks you to a four axis movement relative to the current direction where you are looking at, but I would like to name one first person shooter where the ability to walk at an angle of 15° relative to your current direction is a bigger advantage than being able to shoot the other guy faster, easier and more accurately.
    I have not tried to argue against the mouse's aiming ability at all.My main argument is that a thumbstick is better than the WASD keys. As for a game that under this description, you need to select a game which focuses on movement more than combat, which is a very rare breed of FPS.
    Mirrors Edge
    And you know what's great about PC gaming? If you put in the effort you could make your won control setup with a thumbstick and mouse, getting the best of everything. Seriously. Get a Wii remote and nunchuck, a Bluetooth dongle for your PC and find drivers for it on the internet. Set up the the nunchuck for the game (most PC FPSs support thumbsticks as well as keyboards) and there you have in your left hand a thumbstick for movement and two buttons and in your right a mouse for aiming, left click, right click, mousewheel up and down, mousewheel click and whatever peripheral buttons your mouse comes with.
    This is exactly what I have been arguing towards. Would this system beat the other two each time? I have tried to do it in some games, however I found that as they are PC games, they still are restricted by WASD style movement due to poor button mapping. I have tested the xbox controller for this, but it is not great to the above and the fact that it is fairly heavy for one hand. I will need to get a Wii Nunchuck to test it out (though I think I will be a button down compared to the xbox controller)
    Blowfish wrote: »
    Bar maybe your first 3 games, who actually uses menu's in RTS's? Every single command is given through keyboard shortcuts as it means that you (ironically enough given your other argument) don't hinder your movement/selection with the mouse and nothing gets in the way visually.
    You raise a good point. A control system could change it so that movement is not hindered (use the right thumbstick for selection). However obstruction to the view is still there due to pop up contextual menus. A game could alter this by making the menus smaller or more transparent.
    On the flipside, Most RTS I have played on PC lose 10-20% of the screen due to menus being constantly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

sierra117x wrote: »
    your all doing a horrible horrible job at defending pc's. your using generic arguments like hotkeys and graphics capabilties. at the end of the day console controles are more than functionable for playing rts but i dont believe they would ever stand up against a good keyboard and mouse. they are however much much easier to pick up and play with than a keyboard and mouse. with a controller even the stupidest most retarded individual should be able to get up to speed with all the in game controls within a few minutes of practice. but it is much harder to do that with pc controls. maybe im just a slow learner but it takes me a long long time to get to grips with shortcuts and hotkeys when i get a game. once i do however im far better off.

Im confused, are you defending console controllers or are you defending KB+M? This reads to me as a glowing acknowledgement of the thread title.

What you seem to be saying is "Console controls make it easier for slightly retarded people to control their game easier, whereas pc controls allow for far greater control but with a much steeper learning and skill curve"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Bet Nada wishes he had a controller....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

CORaven wrote: »
    I have not tried to argue against the mouse's aiming ability at all.My main argument is that a thumbstick is better than the WASD keys. As for a game that under this description, you need to select a game which focuses on movement more than combat, which is a very rare breed of FPS.
    Mirrors Edge

oh right

sorry about this but im going to have to completely and utterly sink your 'main arguement'

UT2004 was also very movement based. quake is MASSIVELY movement based. i dunno, i dont think you really know what you are talking about tbh

oh and all those vids are impossible to do on a gamepad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

UT2004 was also very movement based. quake is MASSIVELY movement based. i dunno, i dont think you really know what you are talking about tbh

oh and all those vids are impossible to do on a gamepad

UT is amazing

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

CORaven wrote:
    Yet it would suit CoH and DoW2

As a COH vet with probably close to 2,000 games online I can safely say that a control pad would not suit COH.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I popped into this thread briefly to express my opinion,ive read nothing in this thread or countless others on the net that changes my mind even 1 %.
    After over 20 years gaming on every format i know without any shadow of doubt which has the superior controls for each genre.
    Reading this thread ive come to the conclusion there are those that know what they are on about.
    Also those that never used kb/mouse in their life therefore really know no better.
    Then unfortunately there are a handful that havent got the slighted iota of what they are talking about and keep spouting all sorts of garbage in an attempt to backup their argument,sadly every time they attempt to do so it becomes even more evident that they havent got a clue what they are talking about.

Personally i think its time to lock this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Dcully wrote: »
    I popped into this thread briefly to express my opinion,ive read nothing in this thread or countless others on the net that changes my mind even 1 %.
    After over 20 years gaming on every format i know without any shadow of doubt which has the superior controls for each genre.

Couldn't agree more.

Jaguar.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Please, it's obviously...

dreamcast-controller-1vcm-460.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thread locked for, mostly for my own sanity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement