Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair Astec phone element after storm.

Options
  • 08-08-2011 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

I have an Astec alarm that used to call me (and a set of other numbers) whenever it was triggered. A few months back it was damaged, presumably when we had some lightening and since has not worked. At the time my phone stopped working entirely and after some eircom engineers visited they said the alarm was the issue and they temporarily bypassed it so I could get a phone line again.

Now I’d like to get it fixed but have no idea of the rough costs involved, assuming the board is fried does anyone know how much a repair of the phone element of these alarms costs?

Secondary to this I’m thinking of changing to UPC for my phone and thus will possibly connect that to the alarm rather than the physical phone line, but again I’ve no idea how much it would cost to get someone to connect the two or if it’s something I can do myself.

I may even be able to repair the alarm myself depending on what people here recommend.

The main point is that depending on costs, it might be more worth my while to connect directly to the new UPC modem rather than the old phone line but in either case I presume I have to get the phone/alarm interface fixed?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If Eircom were at the line its quite possible there is nothing wrong with the alarm digi. Eircoms engineers are very fond of disconnecting everything & only reconnecting their own stuff.
    First thing I would do is reconnect a line to the panel & see if you get anything.
    The voice dialler will work fine with UPC lines, although they are dependent on mains power.
    If there is a problem I would recomment replacing the entire panel rather than just the board. If it did get a whack of lightening there may be damage to the power supply also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭chabsey

KoolKid wrote: »
    If Eircom were at the line its quite possible there is nothing wrong with the alarm digi. Eircoms engineers are very fond of disconnecting everything & only reconnecting their own stuff.
    First thing I would do is reconnect a line to the panel & see if you get anything.
    The voice dialler will work fine with UPC lines, although they are dependent on mains power.
    If there is a problem I would recomment replacing the entire panel rather than just the board. If it did get a whack of lightening there may be damage to the power supply also.

Think it's blown alright, roughly hoe much am I looking at for a repair of this assuming it's the entire panel? Just wondering would it be cheaper to go for a GSM dialler.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

chabsey wrote: »
    Think it's blown alright, roughly hoe much am I looking at for a repair of this assuming it's the entire panel? Just wondering would it be cheaper to go for a GSM dialler.

If your outside bell is working you could connect a relay card plus a voice dialer to the alarm and connect this to the UPC. What this would do is trigger the dialer in the event of an alarm activation. I would not be replacing any Astec panels until any conformation comes with regards whats happening with there systems.

altor wrote: »
    If your outside bell is working you could connect a relay card plus a voice dialer to the alarm and connect this to the UPC. What this would do is trigger the dialer in the event of an alarm activation. I would not be replacing any Astec panels until any conformation comes with regards whats happening with there systems.

Thanks for the info, you mention something happening with Astec's systems, are they being bought out or changing products or something?

Outside bell is working, don't suppose anyone on here has a recommendation for a alarm guy / electrician who works in the North Dublin area? The guys who installed it have unfortunately gone out of business.

Thanks for the info, you mention something happening with Astec's systems, are they being bought out or changing products or something?

HKC has bought them, it is covered here, as soon as we get any more information we will post.
    Outside bell is working, don't suppose anyone on here has a recommendation for a alarm guy / electrician who works in the North Dublin area? The guys who installed it have unfortunately gone out of business.

There is a list of alarm installers here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You will get a replacement 63DV panel does around €150. A separate voice dialler and relay card will cost as much and is a bit more complicated.
    Astec for now is continuing to trade as a separate company so you should have no problem getting a panel from them directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

don't suppose anyone on here has a recommendation for a alarm guy / electrician who works in the North Dublin area? The guys who installed it have unfortunately gone out of business.

I know a guy... really reliable... C.O in Stillorgan... he works exclusively with bonce slim.

What is bonce slim?

Tried a guy that I got given the number of and he's telling me that there's no way the UPC unit will work with my alarm! I said that I'd been told it would but he insists that if I don't have an eircom landline then I need to get a GSM unit installed (roughly 500 euro installed!).

Is he right? I had a look at the alarm box and it says 63DV, it's an Astec one if that helps at all.

Also, since originally posting this I've now got UPC so the modem is working away in the living room and I can run a cable from there to the hall so I can connect the two points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I have connected dozens of 63DV's to UPC modems. Your installer is either incompetent or he's trying to rip you off.

+1 to Fred , it works no problem. If he can't do something that simple look up someone else would be my recommendation.

• Advertisement

Am inclined to agree, I dont like arguing with people who work in specific fields but after reading the replies here I'm thinking this guy doesn't know his stuff.

He blamed UPC telling me it was a sales pitch by them and that the two wouldn't work together, UPC never mentioned it to me. So I think I'll forget that guy.

Out of interest his quote of 500 euro for the supply and installation of a GSM unit, is that very high or about right?

Am inclined to agree, I dont like arguing with people who work in specific fields but after reading the replies here I'm thinking this guy doesn't know his stuff.

He blamed UPC telling me it was a sales pitch by them and that the two wouldn't work together, UPC never mentioned it to me. So I think I'll forget that guy.

Out of interest his quote of 500 euro for the supply and installation of a GSM unit, is that very high or about right?

Yes, that is a high price, I would buy one yourself and connect it. All it does is convert a sim to a line. The UPC will work with any voice dialer. A GSM like one of these will cost about €275 from R.E.W.

Advertisement