Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only Half A 20 Euro Note Came Out A Machine

Options
  • 08-08-2011 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

On Saturday 30th July i took out 60 euro cash from a bank machine in Tesco.
    3 20 euro notes came out, but with one 20 note just over half the note came out, it looks like it was a ripped note.

I asked for the manager at tesco and they said there was nothing they could do and i should take it to a bank. I went to Bank Of Ireland College Green and was told by them that i need at least 2/3 of the note. I was told by them to go back to Tesco.

Does anyone one have any idea what i should do, Tesco and Bank of Ireland dont seem to know, Am i to cut my losses on this note.

If your wondering why it took so long to getting to sort this out, i went on holiday the same Saturday this happened.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

mick087 wrote: »
    On Saturday 30th July i took out 60 euro cash from a bank machine in Tesco.
    3 20 euro notes came out, but with one 20 note just over half the note came out, it looks like it was a ripped note.

I asked for the manager at tesco and they said there was nothing they could do and i should take it to a bank. I went to Bank Of Ireland College Green and was told by them that i need at least 2/3 of the note. I was told by them to go back to Tesco.

Does anyone one have any idea what i should do, Tesco and Bank of Ireland dont seem to know, Am i to cut my losses on this note.

If your wondering why it took so long to getting to sort this out, i went on holiday the same Saturday this happened.

Find out who operates the ATM, its down to them to remedy the issue.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I thought that once you had more than 50% of the note you'd be ok.

This link may help.

http://www.centralbank.ie/paycurr/notescoin/exchange/Pages/damagedeuronotes.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Central bank will be able to change the note for you once you have more than 51% of it AFAIK. The fault would seem to lie with whoever is in charge of filling the machine, so it could be Tesco or it could be an outside security company. The problem with those in-store ATMs is often the staff in the store are clueless about them and if there's a problem you get bounced from billy to jack. I reckon the Central Bank would be the quickest and easiest way to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You need to talk to the bank who operate the ATM. If there was a fragment of a note left over after a transaction it should have been dropped by the machine into a special receptacle and there should be a record of this.

I don't think there is any possibility that only a portion of a 20 euro note was fed into the machine, more likely that there was a rip which wasn't spotted and the note was torn inside the machine so the remainder of the note should have been left behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

All bank machines inside tesco stores are filled by ulster bank. Afaik, They do have cameras on them too.

Advertisement