Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ritchies Milky Fruits = Bizarre

Options
  • 08-08-2011 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I haven't tasted Ritchies Milky Mints in about 20 years but they were a staple of my youth so when I saw a packet for sale recently I got a bout of nostalgia and decided to try them out on my kids. The mints were much as I remembered them and my kids though they were alright. So far so good but then I was tempted by a multi coloured bag also bearing the Ritchies logo and called "Milky Fruits" or something similar.

"They didn't have them when I were a lad" I thought.

So throwing caution to the wind I bought the milky fruits and tried them out on my willing testers. What followed was one of the strangest sweet eating experiences I can remember:

Firstly we were surprised that the colours of the sweets didn't seem to match the colours of the assorted wrappers they came in. Then we realised that the flavours of the sweets also seemed to bear little relation to their colour.

In fact the precise flavours of the sweets were quite difficult to classify. I myself detected on that reminded me of burnt coffee grounds. My daughter swore that another reminded of nothing so much as antibiotic medicine. There may also have been a rum flavoured one but for the most part we were were unable to put a definitive name on any of the flavours. My bookworm daughter dubbed them "Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans".

Has anyone else tried these bizarre sweets? I amn't even sure about the name and I cannot find anything about them on the net but you can't miss them - they look exactly like Milky Mints but in various colours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Sounds interesting! I'll definitely keep an eye out for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I've tried them, would buy them regularly until I lost patience with the lack of nice flavours.

There's only so many coffee flavoured sweets one can eat before losing patience.

I did rather enjoy several of the flavours though, no idea what flavours they were really though, as the sweets seem to be just coloured sweets with odd flavourings.

They're a bit of a mystery alright, if only they got rid of the coffee and one other, think it's a brown sweet, unsure what flavour, they could have a nice product.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mad Mike wrote: »
    My daughter swore that another reminded of nothing so much as antibiotic medicine.
    Do you know if it was it this stuff?
    hommedia.ashx?id=7196&size=Small

I used to adore the taste of that medicine! so would like to get sweets tasting of it.

EDIT: that picture is ancient, it would have a new box now, thats the box I used to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

rubadub wrote: »
    I used to adore the taste of that medicine! so would like to get sweets tasting of it.

Is that the yellow liquid one? used to love that antibiotic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

star-pants wrote: »
    Is that the yellow liquid one?
    Yep! thick yellow, not clear, whenever I was sick I used to beg to get it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

nom nom nom.... memories

Advertisement