Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City centre discussed on Newstalk this morning

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    OH BTW this is the time in Aug 1691 that Patrick Sarsfield blew up the Williaminite siege train headed for Limerick.Has anyone ever considerd doing a reenactment or film of this event??
    A good script and the story being sold properly would provide plenty of employment for the Summer months.
    This is thinking ouside the box,but that is somthing sadly lacking in Limerick.:(:(

Now here is a film just waiting to be made

And it's still well known, here in North Tipp there is an old ford now crossed by a modern road but it floods occasionally and it was a ford in centuries past.

Named Hogan's Pass after Sarsfield's scout and guide Galloping Hogan.
    All the locals know the story and the reason for the name

If not a film, I hope TG4 could produce a documentary, as you say it's extra employment for a few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I'm afraid it does :P

Since when? My brother only left there 4 years ago and it was GAA and soccer. No rugby. I know they tried it years ago when Ginger McLoughlin was working there but that didn't last long.

I left in 2009 and that was the first year of it! Hurling is dying in CBS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

mikemac wrote: »
    Now here is a film just waiting to be made

And it's still well known, here in North Tipp there is an old ford now crossed by a modern road but it floods occasionally and it was a ford in centuries past.

Named Hogan's Pass after Sarsfield's scout and guide Galloping Hogan.
    All the locals know the story and the reason for the name

If not a film, I hope TG4 could produce a documentary, as you say it's extra employment for a few months

but how could something that could be a success be done, the city fathers would not have and crying and lamintations to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

source wrote: »
    Firstly I have made many suggestions on this and other threads, which are doable, no pie in the sky lunacy (with the exception of my light rail idea).

Actually not as dumb as it sounds your monorail,IF you change it to existing railway system.We have a fine circut line already in place from Moyross to Mungret.Both terminating in Colbert station.Any major city would kill for this as a trtansport solution.We dont use it at all.:rolleyes:
    Yes that does mean tinkering with the aesthetics of the city and also involves using what is already there for its original or a new purpose. Small changes can make a huge difference and re-purposing existing buildings in my mind is the way forward. for example,
    Make the Fransiscans into a theatre the place is huge and has great acoustics. The idea I outlined for Dunnes above is a simple idea which would work great.
    Agreed 100% or the old cresent SJ church.However the problem is,your traffic plan sucks!!;) Turning all the city centre and the main roads into pedisterian zones will kill off what ever busisness and trade there.
    It is making deliveries impossible and/or awkward,no one wants to lug their purchases or items for repair through a no car zone back to a parking lot three or four blocks away.Most of the city centre blocks are overpriced in rates,crummy,user unfriendly former city houses of the gentry dilapadated buildings that should have been demolished by either fire or war,sixty years ago when Adolf was touring Europe.IOW who wants to start a busisness with high rates/rents and is inconvient to get to,a health hazard in some cases,and user not to mind disabled unfriendly??Hence you have everyone fleeing to the shopping centres.

Either drop the rates down to appropriate depression levels,and appropriate for slums.OR gut them in their entirety,and rebuild inside to modern standards with disabled access and lifts.No one wants to wheeze up eight flights of stairs anymore to get to their office or the toilet.Then you might get some busisness back into the centre.
    Putting a cafe,resturant at the old Dunnes is fine.BUT your big problem is then,apart from the view,how good will this place be to keep getting return custom??See again the problems of rates,services etc.And again your problem is of transport,not to mind public safty.Who wants to go into a city centre where you will be botherd by "heads" hanging around at all hours of the day and night??

UL was the first 50m (Olympic length) pool in the country, so you're wrong there.

Hmmm I seem to recall us wasting a few millions on a 100 meter[proper Oly length pool] in the Celtic Tiger era,and it being billed as Irelands FIRST Olympic pool?????
    The problem with the grand prix course is that modern vehicles would be dangerous on the circuit, and the vintage cars are too valuable and rare to race. I would love for a vintage grand prix to be held here once a year and have suggested it in the past, close off the streets on the original course and let rip. The problem was outlined to me, as being too dangerous with modern race cars and vintage are too valuable to risk damage to them through racing.

That sounds to me more like the narrow minded thinking that infests this town,rather than a viable reason.So unlike Monacco,we are unable to erect crash proof barriers,have a viable policing and ambulance and fire service,or have modern backup services and are unable to actually utilise any of this here???:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Next Question..Has anyone of the Formula 1 world or of the motorsport industry on an international level been actually consultated and asked their opinion of the course and its doability???

Vintage cars are valuable,but then you as a responsible adult owner would know this and know the risks of driving one,and its limits in a race.Same as if you fly a plane from ww2 at an airshow,you are obviously not going to to over stress it either.
    Yes we have a reliance on rugby in Limerick, but it's not a new thing. Rugby has been a Limerick sport since the 1800s. We have world class sports facilities in UL, Thomond Park, and the Gaelic Grounds. Not to mention the multitude of successful local clubs in the area. We also have one of the top European rugby clubs calling Limerick home.
    Yes we know all this..Point being???:rolleyes:

As for "world class" facilities we are missing one pretty basic one in UL that is an Olympic disipline,in which Ireland excels in and brings home on average from the Commonwealth games, and the Olympics on average a dozen medals,but is ignored totally in the public eye as it is the red haired bastard child of Irish sports,namely a olympic clay piegon set up or a 10 meter air rifle or small bore range.
    Somthing I and Limericks shooting community have being to get set up here for the last ten years.So despite your arrogant assertations and downright presumptions.I have been trying to do somthing to change it.Not sitting on my arse hiding behind my computor screen playing at town planning or cutting and pasting the same tired bullsht from a PR issue city hall brochure ..:mad:

Pig and Porter is a great festival, it brings a lot of people into the city. So what if you don't like it, get off your arse and come up with your own idea for a festival and get it going. Our very own Zuroph has done just this and is going to be launching his zombie fest here this year. If you don't like what's here now, stand up and change it, or at the very least throw out some constructive ideas. All this negativity doesn't help anyone.

With all due respects to Zuroph and fair dues to him for organising it.When is this happening?It seems to be stalled again in narrowmindedness .

TBH we have enough zombies as it is in Limerick..mostly in control of organisations that promote it,and instead of "brainnnsss",their moan is "ruggggbbbbyyyy":pac::pac::pac::pac:

Its not negativity,its realism of life of this town,that it is too narrowminded,petty and parochioal to try and change itself or be totally daring and try somthing new.Sorry for commenting about the emperors new clothes,but as some "wit" said here if you dont like it,fk off ...

Yep,thats exactly what everyone does,and all the rest sit here and wonder why they are losing out in trade and life.Because we are too dumb to change or realise that not all the entire world is soley intrested or obsessed in rugby,drink,GAA,drink,soccer,drink,sports,drink.The world of Limerick unfortunatly is.:(:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Grizzly 45 is a brave man expressing such venomous anti-rugby views here, but I think there is some credence to his argument.

I ain't born and bred here so the whole rugby thing was kind of like a refreshing and different culture when I arrived. But if I grew up here and was surrounded by a rugby culture in every part of my life (from school to college to work to social life) I would become very frustrated. Anytime one activity permeates every aspect of society and is placed on a pedestal above all else, you will get problems. There will always be individuals on the fringe for whom rugby holds no appeal or they have no interest. You will get disingenious followers jumping on the bandwagon to gain social acceptance and the worst element is the sense of elitism from those heavily involved or playing at a high level. I'm sure a similar situation can be found in Kerry with football, Kilkenny with hurling and Longford with wet tshirt competitions. If you are not involved, you will find life that bit more difficult in those regions.

I personally have no problem with rugby or Munster and think it is probably the best attraction Limerick has. There is a great atmosphere on match days that you will not find in any other Irish city. I just think its a bit frustrating that a lot of festivals and other events are based around rugby, just need a bit of variety and differentiation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Not trying to be smart but I would imagine Zurophs Zombie festival will take place at Hallowen so not really stalled but just waiting ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

BESman wrote: »
    Grizzly 45 is a brave man expressing such venomous anti-rugby views here, but I think there is some credence to his argument.

I ain't born and bred here so the whole rugby thing was kind of like a refreshing and different culture when I arrived. But if I grew up here and was surrounded by a rugby culture in every part of my life (from school to college to work to social life) I would become very frustrated. Anytime one activity permeates every aspect of society and is placed on a pedestal above all else, you will get problems. There will always be individuals on the fringe for whom rugby holds no appeal or they have no interest. You will get disingenious followers jumping on the bandwagon to gain social acceptance and the worst element is the sense of elitism from those heavily involved or playing at a high level. I'm sure a similar situation can be found in Kerry with football, Kilkenny with hurling and Longford with wet tshirt competitions. If you are not involved, you will find life that bit more difficult in those regions.

I personally have no problem with rugby or Munster and think it is probably the best attraction Limerick has. There is a great atmosphere on match days that you will not find in any other Irish city. I just think its a bit frustrating that a lot of festivals and other events are based around rugby, just need a bit of variety and differentiation.

The rugby thing is a spurious argument though. The question shouldn't be "why must everything be based around rugby?" but rather, "why does it always fall to rugby people to arrange things?"

Let's face it, Limerick FC destroyed themselves over the last 30 years, starting with leaving the Market's Field and the Limerick GAA have repeatedly failed to capitalise on how popular hurling is in the entire county. Limerick has, iirc, the third or fourth highest number of senior hurlers playing club hurling. By those figures Limerick should be a hurling super-power (so should Galway btw) but repeatedly the County board find ways to mess things up.

By comparison, rugby in Limerick is well run. It has issues but of all the sports it seems to be only one capable of keeping it's house in order.

If people want cultural festivals (and we have a few, EV+A(back next year), Cuisle, Kate O'Brien weekend etc) then stop bitching and get involved. The problem with all these threads is people come on them with an attitude that the city owes them something and somebody else should entertain them. If you want a film festival (for example), why not take the initiative and start something? Every festival, from the Galway Arts to the Rose of Tralee started off because people got out of their seats and made them happen. Too many Limerick people are passengers who are full of energy to knock things but absolutely no energy to build things.

Maybe Zuroph's Zomebiefest will become the best one in Europe, maybe it'll lurch into obscurity, but at least he's willing to run with it. Maybe the Limerick Marathon crowd will fade into the ether but again, at least they tried something, maybe in 20 years Thomond will be knocked due to disinterest but at least the rugby crowd will have tried something.

Save us from the complainers who are experts on how things should be done but never willing to do anything themselves. I'm not saying no one has a right to criticise, or indeed complain, but the best solution to nearly all these complaints is to find like minded people and work on solutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Actually not as dumb as it sounds your monorail,IF you change it to existing railway system.We have a fine circut line already in place from Moyross to Mungret.Both terminating in Colbert station.Any major city would kill for this as a trtansport solution.We dont use it at all.:rolleyes:

Actually my idea was using existing rail tracks to build a commuter rail system as you outlined above, I drew a map and everything.

Agreed 100% or the old cresent SJ church.However the problem is,your traffic plan sucks!!;) Turning all the city centre and the main roads into pedisterian zones will kill off what ever busisness and trade there.
    It is making deliveries impossible and/or awkward,no one wants to lug their purchases or items for repair through a no car zone back to a parking lot three or four blocks away.Most of the city centre blocks are overpriced in rates,crummy,user unfriendly former city houses of the gentry dilapadated buildings that should have been demolished by either fire or war,sixty years ago when Adolf was touring Europe.IOW who wants to start a busisness with high rates/rents and is inconvient to get to,a health hazard in some cases,and user not to mind disabled unfriendly??Hence you have everyone fleeing to the shopping centres.

Either drop the rates down to appropriate depression levels,and appropriate for slums.OR gut them in their entirety,and rebuild inside to modern standards with disabled access and lifts.No one wants to wheeze up eight flights of stairs anymore to get to their office or the toilet.Then you might get some busisness back into the centre.
    Putting a cafe,resturant at the old Dunnes is fine.BUT your big problem is then,apart from the view,how good will this place be to keep getting return custom??See again the problems of rates,services etc.And again your problem is of transport,not to mind public safty.Who wants to go into a city centre where you will be botherd by "heads" hanging around at all hours of the day and night??

I agree completely that the city is being run wrong, i also agree that the rates are too high. I do hate to break it to you, but "my" traffic plan was not my idea, I was merely outlining that the council are already doing what another poster suggested be done.

My suggestion for the Old Dunnes, is just that, a suggestion. I didn't say I was 100% right or an authority on what should be done in the region, I simply made a suggestion that would be easy to implement. If you have a better idea without knocking and rebuilding then please share.

Hmmm I seem to recall us wasting a few millions on a 100 meter[proper Oly length pool] in the Celtic Tiger era,and it being billed as Irelands FIRST Olympic pool?????

From the Olympic committees website:

The first swimming competitions at the modern Games took place in the sea or in a
    river. Today competitions take place in a 50m swimming pool, usually indoors.
    The current programme includes the following disciplines: swimming (freestyle, breaststroke,
    backstroke and butterfly), water polo, diving and synchronised swimming.

I think you're thinking of the National Aquatic Centre in Dublin (also a 50m pool) and opened after ULs pool despite what they in Dublin would have you believe.
    That sounds to me more like the narrow minded thinking that infests this town,rather than a viable reason.So unlike Monacco,we are unable to erect crash proof barriers,have a viable policing and ambulance and fire service,or have modern backup services and are unable to actually utilise any of this here???:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Next Question..Has anyone of the Formula 1 world or of the motorsport industry on an international level been actually consultated and asked their opinion of the course and its doability???

Vintage cars are valuable,but then you as a responsible adult owner would know this and know the risks of driving one,and its limits in a race.Same as if you fly a plane from ww2 at an airshow,you are obviously not going to to over stress it either.

I am merely quoting what the organisers I spoke to have told me. I already said I would love to see this happen.

Yes we know all this..Point being???:rolleyes:

As for "world class" facilities we are missing one pretty basic one in UL that is an Olympic disipline,in which Ireland excels in and brings home on average from the Commonwealth games, and the Olympics on average a dozen medals,but is ignored totally in the public eye as it is the red haired bastard child of Irish sports,namely a olympic clay piegon set up or a 10 meter air rifle or small bore range.
    Somthing I and Limericks shooting community have being to get set up here for the last ten years.So despite your arrogant assertations and downright presumptions.I have been trying to do somthing to change it.Not sitting on my arse hiding behind my computor screen playing at town planning or cutting and pasting the same tired bullsht from a PR issue city hall brochure ..:mad:

I haven't cut and pasted anything from any city hall brochure, well done to you for trying to do something, but I would say that not having a shooting range in the city, doesn't mean we're devoid of sporting venues as you seem to be making out in previous posts. I humbly apologise if I was wrong in presuming you've done nothing, it's just something that is seen quite a bit on this forum, keyboard warriors who have done nothing but bitch about everything (which I'm sorry but that's how you're coming across here). The shooting community of Limerick is well catered for, you have to have land or be a member of a shooting club to even get a gun licence. So it's not like you have no place to practice your chosen sport. Keep lobbying for it though, someday with enough pressure you'll get it just like the skateboarders got a space of their own, that only took about 10 years of lobbying before it became a reality.

With all due respects to Zuroph and fair dues to him for organising it.When is this happening?It seems to be stalled again in narrowmindedness .

TBH we have enough zombies as it is in Limerick..mostly in control of organisations that promote it,and instead of "brainnnsss",their moan is "ruggggbbbbyyyy":pac::pac::pac::pac:

Last I checked, First weekend October is the kick off date, he's been involved in a competition to get his business off the ground in the last 2 weeks so the festival hasn't gotten his full attention.
    Its not negativity,its realism of life of this town,that it is too narrowminded,petty and parochioal to try and change itself or be totally daring and try somthing new.Sorry for commenting about the emperors new clothes,but as some "wit" said here if you dont like it,fk off ...

Yep,thats exactly what everyone does,and all the rest sit here and wonder why they are losing out in trade and life.Because we are too dumb to change or realise that not all the entire world is soley intrested or obsessed in rugby,drink,GAA,drink,soccer,drink,sports,drink.The world of Limerick unfortunatly is.:(:(

I hate to break it to you, but moaning about it on a webforum isn't realism, it's negativity. If you don't like rugby then don't get involved, I only got into rugby in the last 4/5 years as something to do with my dad and fell in love with it, and I've lived pretty much my entire life in Limerick. So I've managed to go 24 years without coming into contact with rugby. It's not as hard as you make it out. Going off your posts I take it you live on the Northside of the city, Somewhere down long pavement direction. I can say with quite some certainty that Gardai block off every housing estate around Thomond Park on match day so only residents get in.

Realism is saying yes we have a few problems in this city, what can be done about it, continually giving out about it without making suggestions until you're forced is negativity. I think all of my suggestions have been very realistic.

The rugby thing is a spurious argument though. The question shouldn't be "why must everything be based around rugby?" but rather, "why does it always fall to rugby people to arrange things?"

Let's face it, Limerick FC destroyed themselves over the last 30 years, starting with leaving the Market's Field and the Limerick GAA have repeatedly failed to capitalise on how popular hurling is in the entire county. Limerick has, iirc, the third or fourth highest number of senior hurlers playing club hurling. By those figures Limerick should be a hurling super-power (so should Galway btw) but repeatedly the County board find ways to mess things up.

By comparison, rugby in Limerick is well run. It has issues but of all the sports it seems to be only one capable of keeping it's house in order.

If people want cultural festivals (and we have a few, EV+A(back next year), Cuisle, Kate O'Brien weekend etc) then stop bitching and get involved. The problem with all these threads is people come on them with an attitude that the city owes them something and somebody else should entertain them. If you want a film festival (for example), why not take the initiative and start something? Every festival, from the Galway Arts to the Rose of Tralee started off because people got out of their seats and made them happen. Too many Limerick people are passengers who are full of energy to knock things but absolutely no energy to build things.

Maybe Zuroph's Zomebiefest will become the best one in Europe, maybe it'll lurch into obscurity, but at least he's willing to run with it. Maybe the Limerick Marathon crowd will fade into the ether but again, at least they tried something, maybe in 20 years Thomond will be knocked due to disinterest but at least the rugby crowd will have tried something.

Save us from the complainers who are experts on how things should be done but never willing to do anything themselves. I'm not saying no one has a right to criticise, or indeed complain, but the best solution to nearly all these complaints is to find like minded people and work on solutions.

These responses miss the point. Asking "why don't you do something about it?" adds absolutely nothing to the debate. I, and I presume many other posters, are not experts in event management and I don't believe it is the responsibility of ordinary residents to organise events to help the city. Those in positions of authority among Limerick's sporting, arts & cultural and public bodies (i.e. councils) are the ones in the best position to implement new ideas and events for the city. Why would I do it?

Someone like Zuroph organising a zombie festival is great, but these are small, amateur events for a bit of craic. I'm thinking along the lines of mass appeal, mass marketed, city wide events which would attract visitors from all over the country. Hate to keep referring to Galway, but things like the Galway Races, the Arts Festival and the Volvo Ocean Race are the scale of events that Limerick badly needs. The Ocean Race in particular was something that was kind of obscure and new, yet it was organised and marketed so well and attracted huge crowds as a result (albeit, weather helped A LOT). The Races and Arts Festival have been running for years and are well established events, so its hard to imagine something similar in Limerick but the Ocean Race proves that a city can organise something new with no distinct following and make it hugely popular and successful.

The Great Limerick Run is something I had forgotten about. I took part in May and I think its something that works very well, generates a lot of interest and adds a buzz to the city for the weekend. Hope it continues.

Galway didnt organise the ocean race they just asked them to stop off there.

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote: »
    Galway didnt organise the ocean race they just asked them to stop off there.

Each stopover is an event in itself for every city that has one. Do you realise the amount of organisation that went into this? The whole docks area was redeveloped and a Race Village was set up there along with a stage and stalls. It was marketed all over the city and it had its own organisation committee.

There was a lot more to it than calling them and asking them to stop off on their way. There were over a 100,000 people there over the course of the stopover. Whens the last time Limerick had a 100,000 people for anything? O'Connell Street for the Heineken Cup Finals?

redeveloped ? putting up a stage and some stalls ?

Limerick has plenty of pulling power just not utilised correctly but that will change

kilburn wrote: »
    redeveloped ? putting up a stage and some stalls ?

Limerick has plenty of pulling power just not utilised correctly but that will change

The docks were fairly ugly, they had to knock some sheds and derelict areas and move a scrap yard. All buildings were painted and cleaned. New Victorian style street lights, street signs and flower pots were put up all over the city. The whole area looked completely different to what it was before.

This image shows what a great event it was.

102.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

A Danish company whom ran a very successful Oktoberfest Beer Festival in Dublin wanted to have one in Galway, Limerick and Cork this year.

Cork were already having one.
    Galway couldn't provide a location suitable.
    Limerick just said no.

Instead of the 1 week Oktoberfest in Dublin it will now be 2 weeks long instead. They had 1900 people each night last year(max capacity) and expect the same this year.

It's a shame when locals council just turn their back. They have to do nothing other than provide a location. :confused:

Beer Baron wrote: »
    A Danish company whom ran a very successful Oktoberfest Beer Festival in Dublin wanted to have one in Galway, Limerick and Cork this year.

Limerick just said no.

Instead of the 1 week Oktoberfest in Dublin it will now be 2 weeks long instead. They had 1900 people each night last year(max capacity) and expect the same this year.

It's a shame when locals council just turn their back. They have to do nothing other than provide a location. :confused:

That's crap, the council are never willing to back something until they're sure it'll work here, stupidity is all it is.

Beer Baron wrote: »

Limerick just said no.

Why don't they approach someone else? The Market Trustees, Jackman Park etc.

Edit, another thing they could do is approach the Leader and make an issue of it. I know the Leader tries to avoid actual news as much as possible but if they feel they had something to offer Limerick they could at least make their case. The Council are always looking for more tourists and events so at least they could outline why they refused it.

BESman wrote: »
    These responses miss the point. Asking "why don't you do something about it?" adds absolutely nothing to the debate. I, and I presume many other posters, are not experts in event management and I don't believe it is the responsibility of ordinary residents to organise events to help the city. Those in positions of authority among Limerick's sporting, arts & cultural and public bodies (i.e. councils) are the ones in the best position to implement new ideas and events for the city. Why would I do it?

Someone like Zuroph organising a zombie festival is great, but these are small, amateur events for a bit of craic. I'm thinking along the lines of mass appeal, mass marketed, city wide events which would attract visitors from all over the country. Hate to keep referring to Galway, but things like the Galway Races, the Arts Festival and the Volvo Ocean Race are the scale of events that Limerick badly needs. The Ocean Race in particular was something that was kind of obscure and new, yet it was organised and marketed so well and attracted huge crowds as a result (albeit, weather helped A LOT). The Races and Arts Festival have been running for years and are well established events, so its hard to imagine something similar in Limerick but the Ocean Race proves that a city can organise something new with no distinct following and make it hugely popular and successful.

The Great Limerick Run is something I had forgotten about. I took part in May and I think its something that works very well, generates a lot of interest and adds a buzz to the city for the weekend. Hope it continues.

Tbf, i disagree. The Arts festival in Galway had modest beginnings too, it's taken 30 or so years to get it to where it is. No one starts out an expert, no one gets everything right on day one. Better to try and fail than to never try and be an incessant whiner, imo.

Limerick needs big events but the best way to get them is to start small events and let them grow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Talking about Galway actually, the organisers of the Volvo Ocean Race were so impressed with Galway in 2009 (the city, the welcome, the atmosphere) that the race will finish here in 2012!

Talking about Galway actually, the organisers of the Volvo Ocean Race were so impressed with Galway in 2009 (the city, the welcome, the atmosphere) that the race will finish here in 2012!

That's great news for Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭niceview

Going back to the original debate, I think we underestimate the city. There are a lot of positives. Despite what some have said, I don't think the city is big. I often park the car on Careys Road and walk in. About seven minutes to Thomas street. It is compact and you can get from one point to another quite easily on foot. By and large, Limerick people are passionate about their city. This is part of the reason Munster are so big. They are our team and our players. It would be senseless not to capitlise on our strongest asset.

The city's architecture is, in my opinion, quite beautiful. We have the largest and most intact Georgian area outside of Dublin, some stunning stone and brick structures (king John's Castle, many of the churchs, the market etc etc) and we have the river. Underutilised to a criminal level, but we can change that.

I think the lack of evening entertainment is a real shame. Late night cafes and a cinema would be an enormous addition. I know there are plans afoot for a three screen art cinema near Costellos, so here is hoping it happens.

One thing that really irks me is the absolute waste that is Arthur's Quay park. Every time I visit a large city in another country and see their parks I also think what a waste it is. In Asia you see playgrounds and exercise area for adults. They have loudspeakers with music, play areas for ball games, well manicured green portions and large outdoor class (mainly light dance). I know it is small but with the right planning it could be an absolute gem. The important thing is that it remains a park.

There are obviously issues and problems but I think the positives far outweight the negatives. We just need to think outside the box, keep working at it and remain positive. We will get there in the end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I agree completely that the city is being run wrong, i also agree that the rates are too high. I do hate to break it to you, but "my" traffic plan was not my idea, I was merely outlining that the council are already doing what another poster suggested be done.

When I say "your" traffic plan I meant it in the fact that you posted it.Called a generalisation.
    My suggestion for the Old Dunnes, is just that, a suggestion. I didn't say I was 100% right or an authority on what should be done in the region, I simply made a suggestion that would be easy to implement. If you have a better idea without knocking and rebuilding then please share
    Realistically the building is going to have to be knocked,as it was designed as a retail outlet.Its in the most unluckiest locations for anything commercial or private.The only good thing that could go and should have been there is a apartment complex.

I think you're thinking of the National Aquatic Centre in Dublin (also a 50m pool) and opened after ULs pool despite what they in Dublin would have you believe.
    Proably.

I am merely quoting what the organisers I spoke to have told me. I already said I would love to see this happen.

So would I,but I am wondering is this a cop out that they have been told by the powers that be??

I haven't cut and pasted anything from any city hall brochure, well done to you for trying to do something, but I would say that not having a shooting range in the city, doesn't mean we're devoid of sporting venues as you seem to be making out in previous posts.

I am pointing out that fOR us to consider UL as a Olympic or well stocked sports campus,those should be included or considerd.
    I humbly apologise if I was wrong in presuming you've done nothing, it's just something that is seen quite a bit on this forum, keyboard warriors who have done nothing but bitch about everything (which I'm sorry but that's how you're coming across here).

Apology accepted,dont try and pre judge every "keyboard warrior".
    The shooting community of Limerick is well catered for, you have to have land or be a member of a shooting club to even get a gun licence. So it's not like you have no place to practice your chosen sport

Which goes to show you are not one of them then!As thats total and utter rubbish!!!
    There I seriously beg to differ. [1] You do not need land.You can have permission to shoot over somone elses land,or be a member of a gun club,or obviously own your own land to shoot.HOWEVER that applies to HUNTING mostly. Target shooting with rifles or handguns.There is NO club within the Limerick city environs.There are three within Munster all well over 30 miles from Limerick. Midlands rifle range,Co Offly,An Riocht in Kerry,Ballyhoura the closest,but still a 30 mile round trip both ways.
    Also these are outdoor fullbore ranges.Air rifle is actually shot indoors,and in any other European country where air powerd guns do not require liscensing are shot in any indoor space with 10 meters and a safe backstop.Some of the best EU Olympic shooters in Europe all started out as kids learning the correct stance,breathing,etc with air rifles.
    Here however, they are considerd firearms and have to be liscensed and you can only get a training liscense once you are 14,which you can only use under supervision.Not to mind a rigourous garda vetting,installing alarms etc etc to own a firearm here.So between the distance to travel,the non availability of facilities etc.Limerick most certainly IS NOT well coverd in the shooting sports.

Keep lobbying for it though, someday with enough pressure you'll get it just like the skateboarders got a space of their own, that only took about 10 years of lobbying before it became a reality.

Its been lobbied for over 25 years!! And is no way as easy as a skateboard park.It has to go thru the local cheif super,dept of Justice and council have to sign off on it.Try getting that lot to sing off the same hymn sheet.Then of course our local fammlies having the odd shoot out doesnt help either.Shure after all us law abiding gun owners are considerd to be either nutters/criminals or bambi killers or all three by the PTB and general public.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last I checked, First weekend October is the kick off date, he's been involved in a competition to get his business off the ground in the last 2 weeks so the festival hasn't gotten his full attention.
    Good to hear.As it went all quiet,I thought it had died a death.

I hate to break it to you, but moaning about it on a webforum isn't realism, it's negativity. If you don't like rugby then don't get involved, I only got into rugby in the last 4/5 years as something to do with my dad and fell in love with it, and I've lived pretty much my entire life in Limerick. So I've managed to go 24 years without coming into contact with rugby. It's not as hard as you make it out.

You sat tomato,I say tomatoe.
    The REALITY is this city is not going to try and change,but just rely on the big seller here.Personally I dont care if everyone and their dog wants to play or be associated with it.Best of luck to them and you if you enjoy it.
    I and many others in Limerick dont!Strange as it might seem!!So all we are asking for is somthing that does not revolve around Rugby,or GAA or Sports in general here.I dont know where you have been living,but when the season starts,it is all over the town,all people seem to be able to talk about is the matches,morning noon and night.
    Going off your posts I take it you live on the Northside of the city, Somewhere down long pavement direction. I can say with quite some certainty that Gardai block off every housing estate around Thomond Park on match day so only residents get in.

The longpavement is not blocked off,and explain then the residents complaints of restricted access or fear of the difficulty ofaccess of emergency services.Also,as a tax payer I think our Gardai could be better employed than doing crowd control and traffic management for these events.I wonder would anyone object if thomond stadium would mind footing half the Garda bill for the over time and services??

Realism is saying yes we have a few problems in this city, what can be done about it, continually giving out about it without making suggestions until you're forced is negativity. I think all of my suggestions have been very realistic.
    Rubbish!!! I made suggestions since the first post,if you would care to re read them.Self praise is no praise.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mod Note: I moved 12 or 13 posts over to a separate thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056357401# and left it locked, but viewable, so that the records of the conversation aren't lost. There might have been merit to that discussion somewhere else, but not in this thread.

Grizzly 45 is still on a ban from this forum, so use Private Messages to reply to him directly.

As always, keep it civil when addressing other posters.

Thread re-opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

While that is great news for Galway I was there for 2 days during the race in 2010 and I have to say it was the biggest load of codswollop ever. Galway was certainly busy (although we had no problem getting hotel rooms) but as an event I found it very underwhelming. My mate is big into sailing and found it the same. The weather was great that week as well.

Galway made a fortune out of it I'm sure but as an event I wouldnt go back in 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

is it a good or a bad sign that a thread on Limerick city centre has to end up getting locked.......

vkid wrote: »
    While that is great news for Galway I was there for 2 days during the race in 2010 and I have to say it was the biggest load of codswollop ever. Galway was certainly busy (although we had no problem getting hotel rooms) but as an event I found it very underwhelming. My mate is big into sailing and found it the same. The weather was great that week as well.

Galway made a fortune out of it I'm sure but as an event I wouldnt go back in 2012.

Yeah, it's pretty dull alright but I'm not big into sailing, i suppose if you'd a boat you could take out and get a closer look at the Ocean Race boats it'd be more interesting.

Yeah, it's pretty dull alright but I'm not big into sailing, i suppose if you'd a boat you could take out and get a closer look at the Ocean Race boats it'd be more interesting.

Not into boats myself and the first day I went down there I thought it was dull as well. But as it went on, the atmosphere in that area and around town was probably the best I've experienced in Galway. Much different kind of crowd to that of Race Week, there were a lot of genuine tourists there.

I honestly believe the weather made it though. There wouldn't have been half the crowd if it wasn't scorching that particular week.

The post earlier about a beer festival would have been great. Pity it won't go ahead. I've been to a few similar events before and they're really good.

Advertisement