Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearview Park, Ballybane, Galway. Good place to live?

Options
  • 08-08-2011 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi.

I am currently considering moving into Clearview Park, Ballybane. The house is great and cheap enough. I was wondering whether it was a nice area to live. I always heard Ballybane was a rough spot, and it only really worries me because I work evening shift and come back home late at night so I wouldn't want any trouble...

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Hi OP,
    You probably mean Clareview Park.
    My partner lived there for 3 years and never had any issues.
    Most of the houses are terraced, so you will need to keep your bins in the front garden or driveway.
    Check also if the walls have been insulated - these houses were built without insulation, and unless they have been pumped afterwards, they can be costly to heat during a cold winter, and prone to dampness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 SilverScreen89

ha! Up to now, I was sure that it was Clearview and not Clareview...

Anyways, I'm only worried about rough crowds and messers, cos as I said, I work late and don't want trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johnnyk66

It can be fairly bad at times IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Hi.

I am currently considering moving into Clearview Park, Ballybane. The house is great and cheap enough. I was wondering whether it was a nice area to live. I always heard Ballybane was a rough spot, and it only really worries me because I work evening shift and come back home late at night so I wouldn't want any trouble...

Thanks.
    It's a grand area. Little or no trouble. If you're looking at area beside Castle park road, there can be noise from beer fuelled folk walking along the road but no biggie.. If by trouble you mean fighting harassment ect then don't worry, doesn't happen. If you do move in my advise would be to be friendly with neighbours. I don't mean invite them for tea every second day, just quick chat as you see them and a friendly hello. Even the young bucks that playing soccer in the street... As for working shift, I have done that in the past. Just left hall light on and locked up. Haven't heard of any break ins at all in the area. Any questions, I'll be happy to answer..

The house wouldn't be very near the main road, it's rather at the back. It's a granny flat and there is a passage on its side and it faces a large parking area. The agent said that someone broke into the house not too long ago, but he said that it was whoever rented the house last that was hanging out with the wrong crowd.

It is a nice house, and the rent is cheap enough. But I need to make sure it's safe before I move in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

OK, I know whereabouts now.. Look, the way I see it, it's a grand place. It seems to tick all the boxes for you except your concerned about how safe it is.. I could tell you it's safe as could many others, but until you really believe it it won't be the right place for you as you will always have that at the back of your mind.. Have you taken a drive up there late at night for a look around. It may put some of you concerns to bed.. Anyway, I wish you well with whatever decision you make..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What kind of agent tells you that the house had been broken into and gives you a history the previous tenant ?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

An honest one maybe?
    Sure what's the point in letting the place if the person moves out a month later?

snubbleste wrote: »
    What kind of agent tells you that the house had been broken into and gives you a history the previous tenant ?

dodgy, ain't it? I wonder whether he was being honest or hiding something...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

He didn't have to tell you anything so maybe just wanted to give you a heads up. Put a new name on the door, doesn't have to be yours, and maybe look over some alarms from Argos or similar.
    If in doubt don't move there.
    A friend of mine lives there and hasn't said anything about it being bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

just saw that granny flat on rent . ie was thinking of taking it for myself
    was just about to post the same question here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I lived in a granny flat in clareview park which was entered via a path at the side (if not going through the house) This was for 2 summer months 3 years ago. (might be the one you're talking about) i asked the same thing on moving in but had no bother. Got to know the people in the house and some of the kids fairly well in that short space of time -brought me out of my shell a bit but i know what you mean by dark nights. I was a bit put off by a loada 11/ 12 yr olds sitting on the wall outside once -you get thinking something *could* kick off. - lived in worse places, all outside Galway when i think about it.

Advertisement