Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with the basic structure of my idea

Options
  • 08-08-2011 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

So at the moment all i have is a really good idea. Ive done some basic research and there doesn't seem to be anything out there like this at the moment. Everybody Ive mentioned it too thought it was a clever and original idea. id like to get cracking on testing the market, but there's one big problem. It is an online business, and i haven't a clue about web design or what goes into making an online business.

So this is just a general question. Does anybody know if online businesses are ever created by non tech savvy people? Should i just forget it? I was thinking of trying to find somebody studying web design and who would like some experience. They might do it for a small fee. But I'm just wary of bringing anybody else in on this idea at this early stage. If i was a dab hand with the PC myself id set up a sample site and try test the market, but i would have to read hundreds of books to even have a basic grasp of what it entails to set up a web based business.....wouldnt i?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Paying someone to develop an idea is something most people are worried about because they think the idea will be stolen. Fact is, if you pay someone to do a task for you, chances are, they'd prefer just to be paid. Being an entrepreneur isn't for everyone, alot of people don't find it in any way enticing to go it alone. I think you'd be relatively safe getting someone to do it for you as long as you pay them

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smtdos

Find a web developer that's looking for nixer work. Get a non-disclosure agreement if your paranoid about it being stolen.

Agree with previous post, most devs prefer payment over a stake in a business that may never take off.

You don't need to have a site up to test the market, talk to people! See what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

Yeah, good points folks. Its a service i can sell to retailers, so i can start there i suppose. Id like to snatch the domain name i had in mind though, while its still free. I dont have to be registered as a business to do that do i? I was just reading past thred on it there and i think i have to register a business name before i get a .ie domain, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smtdos

Id like to snatch the domain name i had in mind though, while its still free. I dont have to be registered as a business to do that do i? I was just reading past thred on it there and i think i have to register a business name before i get a .ie domain, correct?

Register your business name on the cro website. It's 20e. You need the rbn number to buy a .ie domain.

Plenty of threads (even a sticky) on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

smtdos wrote: »
    Register your business name on the cro website. It's 20e. You need the rbn number to buy a .ie domain.

Plenty of threads (even a sticky) on this!

Yea i found them, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Well I can imagine it is a big worry for you.

This is like being at the mercy of a garage and knowing nothing about Cars.....hard to trust where €€€ is concerned these days.

Basically would this website need to be built so businesses are able to edit their information themselves as in create an account on it etc?

I have some business ideas myself but as I taught myself web design I can do everything myself.

If you want some inspiration then look no further than Steve Jobs of Apple.
    It was his good fortune to meet Steve Wozniak and have the idea of selling his circuit board as a mainframe computer.
    Steve Jobs wasn't the tech guy behind Apple, Steve Wozniak was.
    Jobs just had the gift of the gab to sell it.

Look Steve Wozniak up on Wikipedia and read the story for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭YouBuyLocal

I've talked my hole off on this subject on these threads. Its tough, but if it was easy then everybody would be doing it and you'd hardly have a business. You can find the odd developer to work with you on it, but its pot luck, as most of them have their own dreams and won't give you much of their valuable time.

I am not tech-savvy at all but am setting up an online trading platform in a niche sector. I am making great progress so far, but you need to build a team behind it. For a credible business I suspect you'll need a programmer and a web designer. You can use open-sourced software like joomla or elgg or code it from scratch. If you find someone to code it from scratch make sure they sign an agreement saying you own the code.

I looked for interns and now have an excellent team of three reasonable good developers + a fantastic tech advisor to lead me through the process. But as far as my advisor is concerned it was pure luck because I had known him well as a teenager and just bumped into him again at the right time.

It can be done, but it can cost money or a lot of time learning about the industry. If you pay someone you need to know that they are really committed and are the right guy for the job. Go through lots of companies and freelancers and make sure you are confident that they will work with you in the long term.

Good Luck pal:-)

Advertisement