Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathmullan

Options
  • 08-08-2011 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi
    am renting a house up in Rathmullan next week. We've 2 small kids (who are pretty mobile) and 1 baby.

I' plan to play golf one morning up in Portsalon and we plan to visit Glenveigh aslo.
    Can anyone give me 2/3 things within an hour's drive to visit/do on our days out?

tks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

there is a few things to do in or around the town itself if you don't want to drive every day.

there is also Otway Golf Club not far from Rathmullen if you wanted somewhere handy in the morning. its a 9 hole one so wouldn't take long to fly round before breakfast.

If its a nice day a trip over knockalla is nice and will lead you to one of the nicest beaches in the world* If thats to far away though Rathmullen beach is a lovely beach itself. If you wanted you could always go up by the football field and go theough the walks (any local will show you where) and you can then join up on the beach near the end, very nice.

There is a wee playground just off the beach too.

as far as food, i highly recommend Belles Kitchen. Can be slightly pricey but very very nice. there is also the beachcomber which does decent bar food.

Can i ask where you are staying? I'm from the area itself so knowing where you are i'll be able to tell you whats near!

As far as things to drive to in the area there is a thread ummm somewhere in this forum with things to do in Donegal i'll try and dig it up now for you

* and not just me saying this its been in top 10s in magazines before.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056230453

her ya go, sorry you might not have seen it as some mod decided to mess with the boards layout... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

tks a mill danniemcq. Is that the beach on the way down to Portsalon? seen that before and looked fantastic. will definitely go there as want to show the kids.

Heard about Otway alright - sounds grand before brekkie alright. Will fit that in too. Plan to do Portsalon quite early too so that I can head off with the family to do something.

we're renting a house pretty near the Waters Edge on the southside of Rathmullan.

will take a look at the link now.

Breffni Cottages?

Waters Edge has improved vastly over the last while so if you are looking for a nice family meal its probably your best shot. Fastastic view too while you eat and if you are where i think you are its only a wee walk back.

Aye thats the portsalson beach i think here is a pic

warden_beach_portsalon_donegal_co_ulster_ireland_photo_roger_kinkead.jpg

it looks like this EVERY time you go i swear...

Breffni - thats the spot.

What a pic- thats exactly what it was like the day i saw it 5 years ago BC (before children).

Is there also a restaurant called An Boinnin Bui or something in the village?

Does the Buncrana ferry operate daily?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Ahhh good old knockalla, i spend ages up there anytime i'm down that neck of the woods just admiring the beauty....

one of my photos
    5560988243_561cfef900_b.jpg

OP as far as places to eat its hard to beat Rathmullan House Hotel (i think its called) bit pricy but well worth it!

Places to go you could bring the kids to dunlewey it'll keep them entertained for a good while.

Alas the Bunan Bui is now a chinese :( used to be my go to restaurant too. If you go with homers idea of Rathmullen house they'd sort you out a taxi too (columba more than likely) so you can enjoy a glass of wine too.

apart from that is there anything that yous would like to do (except golf)?

Places to go you could bring the kids to dunlewey it'll keep them entertained for a good while.
    That looks like just the ticket. Something nice and simple.....tks

tks for all the help here

We don't want to spend the whole day in cars doing all the drives. The kids amusements in Redcastle or Bundoran - which place is handier to get to from Rathmullan?

Also, kids are at the age where a playground suits them fine. Is the one in Rathmullan within walking distance of Breffni?

not exactly walking distance, its at the pier so its a good 10 minute walk aat least (you are on the other side of town sadly) My ma is renting out number one though and there is a grassy area (its not croke park but give a kid a ball and it could be!) running infront of all the houses and as its a dead end you don't have to worry about heavy traffic volume. Not ideal for you but better than concrete!

probably easier to get to Bundoran but better to go to redcastle, Bundoran seems to have more the adult amusments than redcastle (although they do have waterworld) and please anyone in Bundoran feel free to comment and correct me.

although if the ferry is still going (which i think it is) it shouldn't be to hard to get to redcastle from Buncrana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Bundoran to Rathmullen is an hour and a half drive though.. would you get pretty much the same children's amusements at Arena 7 in Letterkenny? (without the view of the sea)

• Advertisement

Bundoran to Rathmullen is an hour and a half drive though.. would you get pretty much the same children's amusements at Arena 7 in Letterkenny? (without the view of the sea)

tks for that. Another one for the list if (when) there's rain. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

Ànd there's also lurgybrack open farm.

Oh and the tropical world in alcorns! meant to be brilliant!

The farm and Alcorn's are great idea's. Lurgybrack website really sells it - I want to get on those tubes myself!

You folks should be working for Discover Ireland.....you're certainly doing a great job here on sorting me out - cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

Newmills flax and corn mills about 5km from Letterkenny is well worth a visit. Just head straight down Letterkenny Main Street and head out the road past Black's shop (it's sign-posted anyway). Working water wheel and old time machinery.
    Donegal County Museum on Letterkenny High Street is pretty good as well to pass a wet hour in, not sure what the current exhibition is, the last time I was there it was one on the army. They had a couple of ex service men in demonstrating drill. The kids in our group loved it.
    The other beauty of both of these is that they are free, always a consideration in these times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

mikeyboy wrote: »
    Newmills flax and corn mills about 5km from Letterkenny is well worth a visit. Just head straight down Letterkenny Main Street and head out the road past Black's shop (it's sign-posted anyway). Working water wheel and old time machinery.
    Donegal County Museum on Letterkenny High Street is pretty good as well to pass a wet hour in, not sure what the current exhibition is, the last time I was there it was one on the army. They had a couple of ex service men in demonstrating drill. The kids in our group loved it.
    The other beauty of both of these is that they are free, always a consideration in these times

Without wanting to cause any agro or upsetting anyone, with all due respect they ain't the best places to being a young family. Sure they are great attractions but not for kids :o

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

mk2 wrote: »
    Ànd there's also lurgybrack open farm.

Took my infant to this recently, and was really impressed.

Whole lot better than I ever expected it to be. Child loved it. Slightly more expensive than I would have liked but enjoyable. Plus loads of places to sit and eat and they don't mind you bringing your own food despite having a cafe on site. I saw loads of cooler boxes the day I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you are in Letterkenny you could go about 10 miles south to Raphoe and have a look at the wonderful gardens here and if its on a Saturday or Sunday you can get the kids on a 3.5km train ride.

Another 8 - 10 minutes further on and you could visit the old courthouse in Lifford. The audio/visual courtroom enactment is great

muffler wrote: »
    If you are in Letterkenny you could go about 10 miles south to Raphoe and have a look at the wonderful gardens here and if its on a Saturday or Sunday you can get the kids on a 305km train ride.

Thats the place owned by Sir Gerry Robinson.

Nice.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thats the place owned by Sir Gerry Robinson.

Nice.
    Its a lovely place indeed.

Better again that they now have a drinks licence so if you're feeling a little dry after a long train journey you can have a wee tipple ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

If you are in Letterkenny you could go about 10 miles south to Raphoe and have a look at the wonderful gardens here and if its on a Saturday or Sunday you can get the kids on a 305km train ride.

Another 8 - 10 minutes further on and you could visit the old courthouse in Lifford. The audio/visual courtroom enactment is great

I was there a couple of weeks ago and its a great spot.. not sure if I remember the train ride being that long though! :)

not sure if I remember the train ride being that long though! :)
    doh...:o

Its a lovely place indeed.

Better again that they now have a drinks licence so if you're feeling a little dry after a long train journey you can have a wee tipple ;)

Any entrance fee?

Or train fee?

train rides are always enjoyable for the kids. good idea

NIMAN wrote: »
    Any entrance fee?

Or train fee?
    There is. Click on the "information" tab at the bottom of the page I linked to

Tks a million folks for all your help. There's loads of options here for throughout the week-in good or bad weather. Tks again

Advertisement