Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LCVP...help!

• 08-08-2011 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi everyone!
    I am doing an interview later this week which has Business (perfect) and LCVP (never taught it before!!)

I have looked at the website and have a couple of questions which I hope you will help with :))

Is LCVP timetabled seperately to Business or do you teach the two in tandem? (probably a daft question)

Does everyone in your LCVP class come from your Business class or do some not do it?

Is is all project based and does this have to be submitted in the first year or all in the second year.

What's the grading all about?? Is it easy to do well in this?

I'm not registered to teach LCVP with the TC....is this an issue. I suppose not since the principal knows this from my application.

What are the most important skills I will need to teach LCVP

Honestly, any information at all would be gratefully received and sorry for sounding so ditzy...I'm actually an honours graduate!!:))

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

LCVP is actually a whole seperate subject that is based on project work etc (think its all in LC for submission), its nothing to do with people doing business as in we have loads who do it and they come from all backgrounds. You must have certain subject combos though. It has a different points table too.
    There is no LCVP qualification believe it or not, anyone can teach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Newteacher

Thanks TheDriver! Really helpful!

If anyone can teach it; what are the skills that you need to do it well? (trying to anticipate questions here:)) I mean, I'm really good at motivating students and getting them to do projects but what kind of projects are they? Are they all different or are they all on the same topic?

Sorry if my questions are simplistic...but I learn quickly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I don't teach it, but in our school it is a separate subject, you don't have to do Business and there's a portfolio and an exam. There's information from the Dept here

As far as I know, you can't be officially registered for LCVP.

Thanks Deemark!

That's interesting....so what kind of teacher's normally do the LCVP? Is it a scramble to get the projects done at the end type of thing? or will the plan be in place for me on what to do?

What about the work-experience and company set up? Will I be expected to do all that by myself? Or is there a co-ordinator in the school who would set that up?

Thanks again for all replies!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Newteacher wrote: »
    so what kind of teacher's normally do the LCVP? Is it a scramble to get the projects done at the end type of thing? or will the plan be in place for me on what to do?

What about the work-experience and company set up? Will I be expected to do all that by myself? Or is there a co-ordinator in the school who would set that up?

My friend is a guidance counsellor and she teaches it as it crosses over her area e.g. the projects they do are on their career areas, they have to do cvs and mock interviews. The other teacher is an Irish teacher, but she has LCVP as part of her A post.

Yeah, it's a bit of a scramble, but most teachers of subjects with project assessment have this problem.

Our students are told to get their own work experience, but there are always a few who have to be helped by the teacher. Most schools would have a list of businesses etc who take students on as it's needed for FETAC, LCA and TY anyway.

If you get the job, the school will either put you in contact with the teacher or she'll have resources left for you. And there's probably more than one LCVP teacher in the school anyway, especially if most students do it.

• Advertisement

Thanks again Deemark!

As a matter of interest, what kind of children take LCVP? Is it an extra subject to bag some extra points or is it for those who might not want to take one of the more academic subjects?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

In some schools LCVP is compulsory for all students whose subject combinations fit. It was in mine anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

dambarude wrote: »
    In some schools LCVP is compulsory for all students whose subject combinations fit. It was in mine anyway.

There will be a lot less doing it from this year onwards as the funding for it has stopped. Many schools had it to increase the number of teachers in the school. We always had 3 classes of it which was basically every leaving Cert student. This year we are only going to have 1 class of it for 5th years.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

From my experience; dont do it! It's a lot of extra work and in the end, for me, counted for nothing! You should focus on the other subjects, they get you the marks. Unless you get a Distinction, very few in my class did, its not worth doing. A merit gives a tiny amount of points which you most definately wont use when you're adding up marks for CAO.

BULLER wrote: »
    From my experience; dont do it! It's a lot of extra work and in the end, for me, counted for nothing! You should focus on the other subjects, they get you the marks. Unless you get a Distinction, very few in my class did, its not worth doing. A merit gives a tiny amount of points which you most definately wont use when you're adding up marks for CAO.

I think you may have misread what the thread is about;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

For the first few years after we introduced LCVP, while it was a seperate subject it was the Business teachers who taught it. In recent years though it's been put on the timetables of part time teachers to bring up their hours, a bit like CSPE or SPHE.

Thanks Dambarude!

But is LCVP seen as an "extra" subject? or does it hold the same standing as regular subject? Confusing in the way it's graded...

Thanks!:)

Thanks RH149!...missed your post there.. that clarifies it a lot.

How many periods a week are devoted to LCVP in most schools?

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Thanks Dambarude!

But is LCVP seen as an "extra" subject? or does it hold the same standing as regular subject? Confusing in the way it's graded...

It can be counted for points in the same way as any other subject, but it is not graded in the same way as other subjects. It's graded at Distinction, Merit and Pass. It's especially good for a student who is doing a number of ordinary level subjects as Distinction is worth 70 points.

http://lcvp.slss.ie/

In my own experience (and this mightn't apply everywhere), it wasn't held in particularly high regard by students. I was one of the 'lucky ones' who didn't have to do it, because of my subject combinations. I got three study periods a week instead. As rainbowtrout said it's valuable to students doing more than one pass subject, but for those doing all honours it isn't very valuable at all (points wise). That said, I do know people who ended up using LCVP for points despite the fact they thought they wouldn't, and said they wouldn't all year long.

Thanks Rainbow!!:)

Thanks Jonseybub and Buller also!

It's very interesting to get the perspective of a student who has studied it. If it's a lot of extra work for a student....does that mean it will be lots of extra work for the teacher.

I have a mental image of me doing all the student's projects for them at the end!! Not "doing" of course but running around trying to get them to pull them together at the end. Works like that for Art and Woodwork in my last school...is it the same for LCVP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

LCVP is a good subject for points for the Students. That's about all the good it is.

You'll be well able to teach it. Not much to it really. Just get them to submit bits of work to you on an ongoing basis. Make sure you see it being done. Stress that in the interview.

GoodLuck with the interview!

Thanks Rainbow!!:)

Thanks Jonseybub and Buller also!

It's very interesting to get the perspective of a student who has studied it. If it's a lot of extra work for a student....does that mean it will be lots of extra work for the teacher.

I have a mental image of me doing all the student's projects for them at the end!! Not "doing" of course but running around trying to get them to pull them together at the end. Works like that for Art and Woodwork in my last school...is it the same for LCVP?

Well it depends on the way you run things. The teachers who teach LCVP in my school are also Business teachers. I think they take the class to the computer room once a week, or it's block booked for the year for a specific period so they can go when needed. For their portfolios they have to do up their CV, maybe a letter of application, they write up some sort of report on their work experience and they have to do a career investigation of some sort. I think that can include different types of information like the subjects they'll need to study, courses available, career prospects and maybe interviewing someone already in that career. I've been 'interviewed' a few times as a science teacher. They also have to do a recorded interview at some stage, but I don't think that is done until late enough in 6th year, that's the way it works in my school anyway.

The exam for LCVP is normally the wednesday after the May bank holiday so it's not on at the same time as the rest of the LC exams. So I'm guessing the portfolios must be submitted before then.

I've never taught LCVP as such, but I was occasionally timetabled for the computer end of things, helping them to lay stuff out correctly, and helping them fix their formatting and spelling mistakes etc.

Thanks Doc 17!:) Getting a little nervous now....

I presume the students work is all on computer and produced on discs and printed off at the end....does this mean that LCVP classes will involve a lot of time getting students to input information....or do I encourage them to do that at home?

Also do I take up their discs to assess at end of term or how does that work?

What if schools ICT isnt up to scratch? Or am I worrying about nothing now??

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

Thanks Doc 17!:) Getting a little nervous now....

I presume the students work is all on computer and produced on discs and printed off at the end....does this mean that LCVP classes will involve a lot of time getting students to input information....or do I encourage them to do that at home?

Also do I take up their discs to assess at end of term or how does that work?

What if schools ICT isnt up to scratch? Or am I worrying about nothing now??

Thanks!

They have to do CVs and produce a couple of reports...Career Investigation being one which is partly based on work experience that they do in 4th year and then they do a recorded interview in 5th year that they send away to be marked. They also do a leaving cert exam in may of 5th year. The material covered includes case studies and SWOT analysis.

I've never taught it but that's my main understanding of what happens. You actually get to correct their portfolios/reports before you send them off.

• Advertisement

Cheers Doc!

Now I'm terrified!!! I have to correct the portfolios myself???? How would that work? Surely I'd be giving them all distinctions wouldn't I??? Do the students know what grade you give them or just the final grade?

By 5th year, do you mean their leaving cert year?

Thanks a bunch!:)

Cheers Doc!

Now I'm terrified!!! I have to correct the portfolios myself???? How would that work? Surely I'd be giving them all distinctions wouldn't I??? Do the students know what grade you give them or just the final grade?

By 5th year, do you mean their leaving cert year?

Thanks a bunch!:)

Calm down, you're going to work yourself into a tizzy. You'd correct them insofar as if a student hands up a CV all in lowercase (and they do think this is perfectly acceptable) that you would highlight all their mistakes and get them to fix it up. The portfolios are sent away with the exams and corrected by LCVP examiners.

There's no point worrying about the finer details of the subject, until you get the job and see what the set up is in the school.

You're right Rainbowtrout! Putting the cart before the horse again; that's me! :)

Keeping fingers crossed for interview!!
    Thanks everyone!! :))

Advertisement