Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total miles of Mediterranean or Caribbean coastline?

• 08-08-2011 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Anyone know where I might find a total number of miles of Mediterranean or Caribbean coastline? I can find a figure for global coastline and for individual countries but can’t seem to find anything divided by sea / ocean.

Thanks for any ideas.

Edit 1: I found a figure for the Med: "The length of the Mediterranean coastline totals about 46000 km, of which 19000 km represent island coastlines." Still looking for a Carribbean figure though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

That's 6000km longer than the length of the equator, all the way around the world.

Minus the island coastlines however, it's shorter than the equator, but still bloody long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Length of coastline is a evasive measurement, as what might look like a straight line on a country map is a jagged line up close and may be several times longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

Victor wrote: »
    Length of coastline is a evasive measurement, as what might look like a straight line on a country map is a jagged line up close and may be several times longer.
    Indeed. The lenght of any coastline is infinite. Your measurement depends on the depth of detail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭CajunOnTour

The old granularity issue.

But are you sure the lenght is infinite? :confused:

I'd think not.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Welcome to fractals. Prepare your mind for blowing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If measuring in miles would that not set a limit to the depth you want to go ?

Alternatively you could choose an limit such that you get the same answer for high and low tide.

Alternatively you could choose an limit such that you get the same answer for high and low tide.

I'd say the length of the average coastline gets shorter at low tide - even as the land inside the line expands.

Not many people know that! :rolleyes:

marketty wrote: »
    Welcome to fractals. Prepare your mind for blowing.

Prefer to blow it with something other than maths! :D

If coastlines are infinite then they are all the same length.

So I'm, guessing that when we measure a coast in two dimensions there is some restriction on the fractalism when you get down to atomic sizes?

Advertisement