Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing saddle

• 08-08-2011 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Got a new bike ( Focus Cayo ) about 2 months ago and i've found that the saddle is leaving me with a sore left groin.

I seen people mention try a saddle that some places do, any info on this and what is the difference with different saddles ???

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Have you experimented with saddle position at all? For normal riding it's usually best to have it dead level - is there any angle to it at present? You may find you can resolve any issues with the existing saddle before having to try alternatives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Thanks,

Just to add that i have aero bars on the bike and spend a lot of time in that position.

When i bought it the reviews did mention that the saddle was the only negative.

I don't believe there is an angle on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I was looking to replace my worn out saddle and stopped by the BikeHub in Howth. I kinda had a brooks leather in mind but they let me try out a couple of saddles on my bike on the trainer in the shop (I didn't ask to take one out so I dunno if they would have let me). One Specialized saddle for about €80 looked good but felt horrible. The Brooks, OTOH, felt comfy immediately. Bought that (good deal on it from BikeHub) and have been loving it since...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you're using aero bars it may be appropriate to slightly tilt the saddle downwards

I had a TT specific saddle on my TT bike, and started out with it level. I could just about cope over a 10 mile TT, but could hardly walk after 25 miles. Tilting it down very slightly improved things (although I've since moved on to this a "stubby" Adamo one, which although not cheap has made a massive difference)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Thanks for that Beasty, i spend at least 80% of my time in the tri position so the tilt might be the way to go. I'll be out on it tomorrow so i'll adjust before i go out.

Its ok if your just cycling but if you have to get off and run its not a good thing to have happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭torturedsoul

Hi Beasty,
    Don't mean to make you the go to guy with regards saddles, but you seem to know a thing or two about this issue in particular and any advice would be greatly apprieciated.

I posted on here before about having particular problems "down there" from the saddle I am using. It simply came with my entry level giant defy3. Although some posters were great other took the piss (excuse the pun)

It was cortailing my cycling quite a bit.
    I lowered the handle bars on the bike to the racing postion and straghtened out the stem.

This helped greatly BUT I still beleive getting a saddle with a cut away in the middle will help as I place alot of pressure on that area when I am on the bike.

Can you recommend any saddle and/or the adamo saddle, which model would work best for racers? I am upgrading to a Cervelo R3/R5 soon so I would love a pretty decent saddle for long journeys.

Hope you don't mind helping me out on this one.

If anyone else can I would love the advice.

Cheers people
    Baz

Advertisement