Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to Canada or Australia for older than 30

Options
  • 08-08-2011 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello,

I am thinking of working/moving abroad, but it seems like every immigration program is directed to people only until 30. I am 36 now. Anybody has experience or know somebody that was able to travel and work in Canada or Australia and was older than 30?

thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You can apply for a skilled migration visa for Oz up to the age of 50, the under 31 WHV (working holiday visa) is not emigration it's only a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dub_citizen

Thanks, I will look into it.

Yes, I am planning to emigrate for a while not to travel for working holidays. Does anybody know about Canada?

thanks for any info.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I would suggest you'd get a better response if you gave us some more information about yourself:

- Work areas your interested in
    - Qualifications
    - Part of Canada you are thinking about

and so on,

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Sorry to hi jack the thread but fell an awnser to my question would also help the OP.

Member of my family is in same situation. She is 44 Years old and holds FETAC qualifactions in childcare.
    She has worked in Creches etc and more recently has been working with children with special needs. Both in schools and in their homes.

Where would be the best place to go for accurate info in regards types of workers needed.

All to often we are assured by friends and friends of friends that they are crying out for childcare workers etc but would be better to have a reliable source.

Also how would we go about finding out how relevant her qualifications are and if they are even recognised?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dub_citizen

I will give more details, I have a translators master degree and I would be interested in working in the same area, or maybe teaching Spanish. Or any office job really. I am prefer to go to a city rather than the country side. I have an intermediate knowledge of French (European French though) but I'll say not enough to work in an office job in the French speaking towns.

Up to now it looks like I will have a better chance to work in New Zealand.

@JustLen: I think your relative could have a chance, there is a list of professions that are currently needed in NZ. Look in this NZ government website http://www.immigration.govt.nz/faqs/
    Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

@ Dub_Citizen

I too am keen to relocate to Australia in the medium to long term but like you at 32 am past the age for the WHV.

My background is in HR & Recruitment however as my occupation is not included on the SOL and I hold a diploma and not a degree it seems my options maybe limited even though I have extensive experience in the area and the market appears to be booming in that field.

If you do have any updates it would be very interesting and helpful to me; likewise if I make the move in the near future I will keep you posted :o

Advertisement