Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrecotta Pots for Propogation

Options
  • 08-08-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Would anyone know where I would get small terrecotta pots for propogating cuttings in. Gardnersworld recommend terrecotta instead of plastic but I can't find them in any of the DIY stores or local Garden Centres

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what was the reason given for using terracotta? less chance of the cuttign suffering through excess moisture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Eblana12 wrote: »
    Would anyone know where I would get small terrecotta pots for propogating cuttings in. Gardnersworld recommend terrecotta instead of plastic but I can't find them in any of the DIY stores or local Garden Centres

B&Q have them-from about 80cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Terracotta dries out faster, and are harder to clean, can't really see why they would be recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Eblana12

It was a piece done by Carol Klien and she said it made the water cirulate past the cutting rather than sitting against the side of a plastic pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

Hi eblana,
    I can see the benefit of using terracotta for cuttings but if you use the right mix of compost and horticultural grit you should have no problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement