Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightening levels of Ireland

Options
  • 08-08-2011 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi All,

Does anyone know there i can get a map showing the lightening levels of Ireland (what i just discovered are called "Isokeraunic Levels"). Basically , its shows Ireland divided into different regions , and the probability of lightening strikes in that region - or something along those lines.

thanks,
    Jo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

jocotty wrote: »
    Hi All,

Does anyone know there i can get a map showing the lightening levels of Ireland (what i just discovered are called "Isokeraunic Levels"). Basically , its shows Ireland divided into different regions , and the probability of lightening strikes in that region - or something along those lines.

thanks,
    Jo

Sorry... Never heard of "lightening" .... But I HAVE heard of LIGHTNING! ... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

Iancar29 wrote: »

...hilarious.... !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Yup, it was only recently I was educated too. :o

PS, I was wondering why all those lamps and shades were returning to my queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Met Eireann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Met Eireann

A link to where it might be found is probably what the OP is looking for . . .

On this page you can see the average number of days per month and year with thunder at each of the met stations. With some work you could probably produce the map yourself from that, but there is probably a better source somewhere.

Belmullet: 5.5 days per year.
    Birr: 5.2
    Casement: 4.8
    Claremorris 4.1
    Clones: 5.7
    Cork Airport: 3.7
    Dublin Airport: 4.1
    Kilkenny: 5.0
    Malin Head: 5.9
    Mullingar: 5.3
    Roches Point 4.2
    Rosslare: 6.7
    Shannon Airport: 6.3
    Valentia: 7.1

So if you like thunder, avoid living in Cork or Dublin and try to live in Kerry, Wexford or Limerick/Clare!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭thomasj

Iancar29 wrote: »

it could work for me!
    I see a little silhouetto of a man,
    Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Fandango
    Thunderbolt and light-en-ing, very, very frightening me
    (Galileo) Galileo (Galileo) Galileo, Galileo figaro

sounds better! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Just as well you're not looking for lightening maps from the Ordinance Survey:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I think the UKMO has IE/UK combined data going back years. I would check there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

jocotty wrote:

Not sure if this map is of use (From UK MET OFFICE - Based on 8 year period 1990-1997)
    170120.gif

Map below shows average number of days per year (based on 61-90 average) with thunder at met eireann synoptic stations:
    170126.jpg

Was going to draw in isokeraunic contours but don't have the steadiest hand in the world. Most likely my linear projections would be wrong anyway!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Fcuking thunder bunnies :mad: Kill 'em all!! 12.gif

la la

Advertisement