Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Vs Blackberry Vs Iphone

Options
  • 08-08-2011 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hi everyone, sorry if there's already a thread like this but i'm thinking about getting a smart phone but there's so many i'm at a loss of which one to get, any advice?

what kind of phones do you have, would you recommend them?

thank you in advance for any answers or help you can give

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Samsung Galaxy S2. Best phone on the market, end of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Let's close the thread now, MR has spoken. The debate is over before it started.

At the moment in terms of android I'd go with something like the HTC Sensation. The Galaxy too has huge popularity, but both phones are pretty much the same in terms of quality of spec etc - so it's just a personal choice in that regard. For the more well-versed person in the intricacies of how they operate I can't really comment, but as a fair-weathered interests in a decent device these two phones would be up there as being the most sought after currently.

Come the next few months there will be a new rash of handsets that the market will sway towards. The iphone 5 is due to be out soon as well. Maybe trawl some more threads on these phones and others and potential new releases from those that have more than a fleeting interest and it will give you a better insight on what to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

du Maurier wrote: »
    Let's close the thread now, MR has spoken. The debate is over before it started.

i'll look into a Samsung Galaxy S2,
    @du maurier so you agree with what MR says?

i would like a few more opinions, at first i thought about getting an iphone, but i'm not a fan of the Apple company, and they date so quickly, like there's an iphone 4 now, right? , it feels like the iphone 3 just came out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Maybe if you told us how you use your phone we could give you more advice. Do you email much, social network, game, listen to music or watch videos on your devices, prefer touch screen or physicial keyboard. Big devices or small ones etc... How much money do you want to spend, are you restricted to a network or are you happy to move. Bill pay or pre pay

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've used them all, iPhone 4 is the best, feels like it's quality built. The S2 is better on paper but the iPhone is still the better product.

Saying that if someone was to give me a cash adjustment and a xperia play I'd probably take them up on it.

• Advertisement

allydylan wrote: »
    i'll look into a Samsung Galaxy S2,
    @du maurier so you agree with what MR says?

i would like a few more opinions, at first i thought about getting an iphone, but i'm not a fan of the Apple company, and they date so quickly, like there's an iphone 4 now, right? , it feels like the iphone 3 just came out

Well, not quite, as he proceeded with a statement that didn't take into account user criteria. Whilst the Samsung being a much lauded handset people's mobile use differs and one phone may suit one person and not another.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Maybe if you told us how you use your phone we could give you more advice. Do you email much, social network, game, listen to music or watch videos on your devices, prefer touch screen or physicial keyboard. Big devices or small ones etc... How much money do you want to spend, are you restricted to a network or are you happy to move. Bill pay or pre pay

i want the phone to have a good wifi, that you can use facebook and email on, i listen to music alot but i have an ipod i'm happy with so the phone won't be used to lisen to music, i don't plan on watching movies or tv shows on it

i prefer a physical keyboard
    and would like a small ligght phone that could easily fit in my pocket

i can't go much higher than 550 and even that is pushing it, i want this phone to last me a very long time since i'm spending so much on it

i'm not restricted to any netwrok so i'm happy to move, i prefer pre-pay, but that's not such a big issue for me

Sounds to me you'd like a BlackBerry so. This is a personal opinion but I think they're great. Have also use iOS, Android devices and I too like the physical keyboard. They're excellent for email as they have great integration. Use a third less data then normal smartphone devices due to data compression over BlackBerry servers. Great twitter and facebook apps which work nicely with teh device too. O2 have a decent pre pay blackberry plan. 20 euro per month gets you 700mbs data (9.99euro per month), free o2 to o2 calls and texts or free unlimited texts any network, leaves you with 10.01 euro for off network calls or texts. If you get a BlackBerry off them I;d say you'll get some bonus credit too. The 8520 Blackberry is an ok device but I think the 9300 is better. It's got wifi and 3G whereas the 8520 only has 2g and wifi.

i want the phone to have a good wifi, that you can use facebook and email on, i listen to music alot but i have an ipod i'm happy with so the phone won't be used to lisen to music, i don't plan on watching movies or tv shows on it

i prefer a physical keyboard
    and would like a small ligght phone that could easily fit in my pocket

i can't go much higher than 550 and even that is pushing it, i want this phone to last me a very long time since i'm spending so much on it

i'm not restricted to any netwrok so i'm happy to move, i prefer pre-pay, but that's not such a big issue for me

A lot of android phones have quite a poor battery life in my opinion, but seeing as you're not really using it frequently for music or video etc then that won't pose such a huge issue.

But if you prefer a physical keyboard you'd have to rule out touchscreen which is an android feature.

Maybe a Nokia e6 or n72 might work out well for you. They're not crazily priced either and both regarded highly.

As for a Blackberry I wouldn't go for something like the 8520 curve as it's minus 3g - any BB handset pricier than this one would have the kind of spec you're looking for. I find people are like marmite with Blackberries (sounds like I'm trying to furnish you with some recipe there!)

i'm wanting a phone with a keyboard but it's just come into my mind that the letters on the keys will fade over time?

but by far the most thing i want from the phone is a good wifi

• Advertisement

The letters haven't faded on my BlackBerrys anyway and I've got 4 with the oldest being 7 years. Can post pics later if you'd like. All the devices you're talking about all have good wifi

cookie1977 wrote: »
    The letters haven't faded on my BlackBerrys anyway and I've got 4 with the oldest being 7 years. Can post pics later if you'd like. All the devices you're talking about all have good wifi

that would be great thanks :) , oh ok that's great
    A lot of android phones have quite a poor battery life in my opinion, but seeing as you're not really using it frequently for music or video etc then that won't pose such a huge issue.

But if you prefer a physical keyboard you'd have to rule out touchscreen which is an android feature.

Maybe a Nokia e6 or n72 might work out well for you. They're not crazily priced either and both regarded highly.

As for a Blackberry I wouldn't go for something like the 8520 curve as it's minus 3g - any BB handset pricier than this one would have the kind of spec you're looking for. I find people are like marmite with Blackberries (sounds like I'm trying to furnish you with some recipe there!)

i like the look of a Nokia e6, i can't find a price for it though?

what about a gps?

They all pretty much (iphone, android, BlackBerry) have GPS except the Blackberry 8520 which uses cell tower location to work out where you all. Nokia e6 has gps too.

ok thank you so much you're heloping me alot

i like the nokia E6 i just need a price, apparentyl the camera on it isn't good but i don't use camera on phones anyways

that would be great thanks :) , oh ok that's great

i like the look of a Nokia e6, i can't find a price for it though?

http://www.vodafone.ie/df/shop/ProductDetails.shtml?handsetselected=569045&offerSelected=prepayporting&action=view

356 on pay as you go. It's on a bill plan too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

i'm wanting a phone with a keyboard but it's just come into my mind that the letters on the keys will fade over time?

but by far the most thing i want from the phone is a good wifi

I think pretty much any smartphone will have decent WiFi.

There are plenty of Android phones with physical keyboards.
    http://www.androidauthority.com/the-best-qwerty-android-phones-in-2011-compared-10391/ (a lot of those in that link won't be sold in Ireland but you get the idea, Android isn't restricted to touchscreen). But I felt the same as you when I moved from a N97 to a Desire. I thought the touchscreen keyboard was going to wreck my head. It didn't. It took about 3 days to get used to and I wouldn't go back now.

I don't think you'd need to worry about the keys wearing off the phone. That's like worrying about the keys wearing off your keyboard. I'm in IT and have loads of old (ancient) Blackberrys here. None of them have excessively worn keys.

If it's just Facebook and Email then the OS doesn't matter too much.

What do your friends use? There is nothing more annoying than somebody showing you a great app on a different format phone, so you can't get it.

wow that's really good, i expected it to be alot more, well i'm really liking the look of this phone, but i guess i'll keep looking and keep my options open :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Agree! :D

would it be possible to keep my number after i get a smart phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

would it be possible to keep my number after i get a smart phone?

Yep as that number belongs to you!

No matter what network you go to it's still your number if you want to use it.

oh that's great, it's such a pain having to change your number

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

C6 is fairly decent

Other to consider is maybe the a Nokia E7?

It has a flip out keyboard under the screen. Would be good cause you would retain good screen size for browsing and apps, but retain a physical keyboard

Or maybe a HTC 7 Pro (link to Amazon) HTC 7 Pro on HTC Website

Neither of them would break your budget and are fairly decent handsets!

Thanks i'll look into them :)

Advertisement