Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on the humble kebab

Options
  • 08-08-2011 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

just looking to know what the opinions of you all our on the mighty kebab, be it a doner, chicken, beef etc...

i personally love them and the problem is finding somewhere that sells really good quality kebabs, at a good price etc etc...

yeah there is your little kebab shops which i found to be completely hit and miss and then you have abrakebaba which i thinks serves very poor food and is way over priced not to mention the very poor service...

how come there is no proper brand kebab outlet where you know what you would get everytime similar to say kfc, where you could sit in or takaway and be confident that you have a tasty meal at a good price everytime!

any opinions folks or have i spotted the next big fast food business for ireland :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Zaytoon is pretty reliable, just two locations though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

+1 on the aul Zaytoon. The bread, the sauces and the meat - all fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

olaola wrote: »
    +1 on the aul Zaytoon. The bread, the sauces and the meat - all fantastic.

I miss this, but in Liverpool there are many great places serving kebabs barbequed for about 5 euro, absolute heaven when bought with chips after a heap of IPA, you can wake up picking bits of it out of your ear and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

So is it humble or is it mighty? ;)

Kebabs, when done well, are absolutely fantastic and can be a very nutritionally balanced option. Unfortunately, much like pizza, the vast majority of takeaways doing them in Ireland serve absolute rubbish. Greasy, fake meat, pre-packaged pitta bread, a scant bit of limp iceberg lettuce (if you're lucky) and processed taco sauce or garlic mayo.

My local chipper is run by a Turkish family and they do the most amazing kebabs. They make the bread from scratch and I'd happily buy that on its own from them - it's light as a feather, with massive big air bubbles in it when it comes out of the oven, and I would eat it all day long. They use actual, real chicken fillet pieces, which they cook from scratch for each kebab, with a homemade marinade, absolutely HEAPS of fresh onions & lettuce, and homemade garlic dressing. That's what a kebab should be like.

There was also a place next door to Dowling's on Upper Baggot St. that did proper, fresh, homemade kebabs. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

I wouldn't touch a kebab from Abrakebrabra or most other chippers with a barge pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Babylon, Camden St. FTW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Zaytoons is great.

Just had one in Sultans on South Georges Street. It was fairly nice. Something similar to Zaytoons but not as nice, but with that said, it was good and beats chipper kebabs any day.

I think I got a Kebab with Chips and a can for 8 squid. I think Zaytoons do something similar Mon - Fri and throw in the Chips and drink between 12 and 3 for lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭gudwan

Had a good one as Iskanders a while ago - not easy on the wallet though, as I remember. Berlin's nearly worth visiting just for the kebabs. The Brandenburg Gate's nice and all, but doner kebabs for €1.50 are something else altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Iskanders is the best kebab in Dublin

Zaytoon a very close second

Zayton give you more, but Iskanders is pure flavour heaven! top with pickled jalepenos for an amazing meal

Had one in the Epicurean Food Hall yesterday, the place is called Istanbul. People have said good things about them but it was muck. Nearly 10 euro for fatty and rubbery meat. It was cheap doner meat, and I'd know because I've had kebabs in loads of places.
    The salad was from a crappy cabbage mix bag. No fresh tomatoes or even onions. The pitta bread was pitiful too. The sauces were decent but not too good.

Overall, a complete waste of money and was utter disappointed.

Much respect for Zaytoons, though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Well, I may be an innocent. Went to Abebrekabra in Phib. Used to have lovely chicken kebabs, chicken breast mmmm. Nows its chickens bits with peppers. Shocked. Is there a good kebab house in north dub. Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Kebab Palace in Bray is savage.

Davexirl wrote: »
    Kebab Palace in Bray is savage.

I've travelled by it a few times and have been intrigued by its name. Is it run by Turks or Greeks, or is it a normal Italian-like chipper?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭texidub

Fart wrote: »
    I think I got a Kebab with Chips and a can for 8 squid.

Thanks goodness bartering is coming back. *runs off to get fish and chips for four turnips* :D

With you on Zaytoons!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I've travelled by it a few times and have been intrigued by its name. Is it run by Turks or Greeks, or is it a normal Italian-like chipper?

Run by Turks I think, it has a normal chipper menu but the kebabs are unbelievable, the bread they use is lovely. http://yfrog.com/kfzlwqkj

Davexirl wrote: »
    Run by Turks I think, it has a normal chipper menu but the kebabs are unbelievable, the bread they use is lovely. http://yfrog.com/kfzlwqkj

Oh excellent. I shall investigate this establishment soon. Thanks :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Kebab palace are on just eat now
    http://www.just-eat.ie/restaurants-kebabpalacebray1/menu

just eat have offers now and again, just the other day was 20% off if ordered with a CC.

rubadub wrote: »
    Kebab palace are on just eat now
    http://www.just-eat.ie/restaurants-kebabpalacebray1/menu

just eat have offers now and again, just the other day was 20% off if ordered with a CC.

Oooh awesome. Have you tried a kebab here?

I intend to go there on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Oooh awesome. Have you tried a kebab here?
    No yet, my mate did and was impressed.

It stuck in my mind as they recently sent an email specifically about it and the have a wide delivery area.
    Area:
    Min Order:
    Delivery Cost:
    Ballybrack Co Dublin
    No minimum
    € 3.5
    Bray Co Wicklow
    No minimum
    € 1.9
    Cabinteely Co Dublin
    No minimum
    € 4
    Cherrywood Co Dublin
    No minimum
    € 4
    Deansgrange Co Dublin
    No minimum
    € 5
    Delgany Co Wicklow
    No minimum
    € 5
    Enniscorthy Co Wexford
    No minimum
    € 1.9
    Kilcoole Co Wicklow
    No minimum
    € 6
    Killiney Co Dublin
    No minimum
    € 4
    Kilmacanogue Co Wicklow
    No minimum
    € 3.5
    Sallynoggin Co Dublin
    No minimum
    € 5
    Shankill Co Dublin
    No minimum
    € 2.5

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

must try this zaytoons place!

so in your opinion is the kebab an everyday snack like you would a burger or similar or is it more a drunken snack?

have to say myself i would have one anytime (if i could find a decent place!) as they are just so tasty, what but the resr of you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

iv often nipped into zaytoon while shopping in town for some grub! its a great fead anytime. if you pass it anytime during the day, you will see slot of natives eating it, friends and youngchildren included. it will not be full of pissed dubliners!

i used to work just off dame st and a trip to iskanders was a weekly thing, best kebab in dublin by a longshot. just ask for a mixed shawarma and your on a trip to heaven!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Iskanders and Zaytoon both excellent. I'd put Iskanders slightly ahead but I haven't been to either in a long while.

trixyben wrote: »
    must try this zaytoons place!

so in your opinion is the kebab an everyday snack like you would a burger or similar or is it more a drunken snack?

have to say myself i would have one anytime (if i could find a decent place!) as they are just so tasty, what but the resr of you?

I wish the kebab was an everyday snack for me, but I'd have to watch my waistline if I did.

Of course I've eaten them when pissed, but I do enjoy them when sober even more so. I'd often take trips to various kebab restaurants just to try them.

Iskanders is really great, but in my opinion, their taste, meat etc falls into the "Irish Kebab" category :P. They sure do keep their Irish customers coming back and for every good reason too.

I think the layout of the kebabs in Zaytoons and the meat they use is what makes me think that Zaytoons is the best. It really is personal preference. I'd even dare to say that the best chipper kebab I've tried is from Cinelli's in Whitechurch, Rathfarnham. Cinelli's isn't even my local chipper, so I'm not biased.

Kebabs ftw!!!

Advertisement