Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice on my broken Xbox DVD Drive

Options
  • 08-08-2011 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

My Xbox Elite DVD drive has packed it in and my console is out of warranty. I rang Microsoft and he said a repair will cost me EUR100.

I reckon I can replace the drive myself if it's a matter of simply opening the console and swapping the drive.

Does anyone know where I can buy a suitable drive and if doing this will get me banned from Xbox Live? There's a few on adverts.ie but I'm not sure if it matter which drive I go for.

Also do I need to solder or flash anything (if I do I'll just send it to Microsoft)?

Thanks for the help

PS Skyrim for GTOY

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

You need to dissassemle your Xbox first you will need a torx 10 screwdriver and a 2mm flathead screwdriver you'll find instructions on the Internet.

Once you've removed the top casing you'll be able to access the drive, remove the Sata and power cable from the back. To identify what drive you need look at the sticker on the drive.

You'll find plenty of replacements on adverts or eBay, when you've found a suitable replacement open the broken drive with a Phillips screwdriver you'll need to extract the PCB by removing the ribbon cables and/or desoldering the coloured wires(taking note of the color and order).

This circuit board contains the key paired to your Xbox 360 you will need to put this into the replacement drive, reverse the steps above and test the console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

First of all try to find out what dvd drive you have,

http://www.360drives.com/howto,

then its just a matter of getting the key from your old drive and putting it in your new drive, if you just out a new drive in it without your original key it will just play dvd movies,

I have a few spare drives PM me with what dvd drive is in your xbox and we can discuss this futher

Advertisement