Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runners for Triathlon

Options
  • 08-08-2011 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

My T2 time is awful and looking for a pair of runners i can wear with no socks for sprint distance races.

I wear orthotics normally which means i need socks to stop my feet slipping around in them. But i feel i'll be ok for the likes of 5k in a runner without them.

I'd also use them in training brick sessions.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I think the biggest problem with going sockless in shoes is the way shoes will cut into your achilles while you're running.

Look at the way zoot shoes are designed compared to say your average asics shoe, I'd imagine that plays a big part in combating that as well as helping you pull them on quickly with the tab at the back?

What shoes do you wear now? Have you tried them sockless? If I was going sockless in a normal shoe I'd put compeed plasters on my achilles before the race.

An actual triathlete will probably have a much better answer. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I think the biggest problem with going sockless in shoes is the way shoes will cut into your achilles while you're running.

Look at the way zoot shoes are designed compared to say your average asics shoe, I'd imagine that plays a big part in combating that as well as helping you pull them on quickly with the tab at the back?

What shoes do you wear now? Have you tried them sockless? If I was going sockless in a normal shoe I'd put compeed plasters on my achilles before the race.

An actual triathlete will probably have a much better answer. :pac:

I use Asics Nimbus. I haven't gone sockless due to the orthotics which make it impossible because my feet slip around on the plastic !

I see what you mean about the Achilles, I'd only intend it for max 7km and anything longer would be Nimbus and socks !

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I don't think anyone can recommend a shoe without knowing what you already wear. Pronator/neutral platform etc. As mentioned to ya on your log, I don't go sockless so can't help ya there either.

Oryx wrote: »
    I don't think anyone can recommend a shoe without knowing what you already wear. Pronator/neutral platform etc. As mentioned to ya on your log, I don't go sockless so can't help ya there either.

Asics which are neutral to allow for the orthoics.

The socks really are slowing me down and i'd say adding a minute in T2:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You could always get the sexy noosa tri shoes.

• Advertisement

Ya but i slagged one of the lads about them so can't:D

I'll go to the Asics store in Kildare and they have a few there and club evening in Elvery's on Friday evening and i'll chat to them then.

Ah, what are you doing? 15 seconds, max!

You could always get the sexy noosa tri shoes.
    God, they look like someone got sick on them. :) Are they really worth it?

Oryx wrote: »
    Ah, what are you doing? 15 seconds, max!

Wet feet, dry socks and powder didn't work on sat !

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gottarun

Get yourself in for a proper analysis and try some of the supportive racing shoes such as the Noosa, DS Racer to see how your foot looks under analysis.

You might be ok for 5k in a neutral shoe but you might be even better in an orthotic-less supportive shoe.

Most racers are seam free to allow sockless racing but get your feet used to that before racing.

I use Mizuno Inspire or Brooks ST5 up to 10k without sock without problems.

• Advertisement

gottarun wrote: »
    Get yourself in for a proper analysis and try some of the supportive racing shoes such as the Noosa, DS Racer to see how your foot looks under analysis.

You might be ok for 5k in a neutral shoe but you might be even better in an orthotic-less supportive shoe.

Most racers are seam free to allow sockless racing but get your feet used to that before racing.

I use Mizuno Inspire or Brooks ST5 up to 10k without sock without problems.

Good advice there, i'll go to Elvery's on friday night but i don't know what sort of a selection they'll have.

Looks like i'll have 1 set of runners for short tri and another for long distances

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I'd have to dry my feet anyway to get rid of all the stones that are usually stuck to them coming out from the swim. So in T1 I usually sit down, use a small microfibre towel to dry my feet and put on a pair of socks that I've rolled up so they roll straight onto my feet. I keep the same socks on in T2 so don't lose anytime there.

What does make a bigger difference for me is elastic laces in the runners and just velcro on the bike shoes.

Sorry, I need to wear socks or my feet just blister regardless of shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

Personally a big fan on the Brooks ST5 if your looking for a runner with some support in it.

Advertisement