Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I prepare walls for painting?

• 08-08-2011 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

About to paint the living room in our house for the first time since it was painted by the builder a few years ago. The walls are not in brilliant shape. They are not smooth or even and when applying paint samples these imperfections are coming out even more as I'm using a . I want to know how best to approach this.

The ceiling is just as bad but I couldn't care less as that's just going to get a couple of coats of ceiling paint after I wash it down.

The steps I've identified are:
    Sand walls (don't know what tool to use for this as yet)
    Wash walls
    Paint

Am I missing anything or is there something else I can do for this "issue". Also should I paint a base coat of white paint before I paint the walls?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

First off I'm no prof but here's my 2p worth
    Feel free to completely ignore

Sand walls a must (pick up a orbital or belt sander)
    Wash walls with sugarsoap
    Polybond (waterdown apply with roller) to seal the wall
    Base coat would be no harm

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 abouttobuild

Thanks - that's pretty good advice! Now for my next question. Considering I'm good but not great at the old painting and this is in one of the most prominent rooms in the house should I hire a professional or go it alone myself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

What you want and need to do is sand down the walls. Do this with sandpaper(80 grit maybe) and the tool to use is your hand. No need for electrical tools. Dust throughly. No need to wash unless the walls are filthly. Do not use polybond, as the plaster is already sealed. Apply first coat of paint to the walls. Fill walls with appropiate filler, I prefer Tourpret but most fillers work well. You might need a heavier product if the walls are as bad as you say. Lightly sand and check filler is sound. Dust and hit these spots with your roller, I usually use a rad roller for these areas. Apply final finish coat to room.

No need for a base coat unless it's a radical colour change. Reds nearly always cause problems.

Hope this helps and if you don't feel confident hire a pro, who will leave a superior finish. Always look for references and ask him for a written quote, check references and insurance details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Do not use polybond.....

Advertisement