Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Laptop

Options
  • 08-08-2011 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Hi so I'm looking to buy a new laptop nothing too fancy just for internet downloading watching tv. Any suggestions on deals or offers available Sligo area.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Compupac in Finisklin.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Whatever you do, stay clear of PC World.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

saw a netbook in tesco for about 300. Cant remember the spec but it looked OK.

Other than that Currys / PC World and there is a place beside argos.

I am not sure of argos do them also.

EDIT Found post on the laptop here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056346255

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Hi so I'm looking to buy a new laptop nothing too fancy just for internet downloading watching tv. Any suggestions on deals or offers available Sligo area.
    Thanks

Spoke to someone who reckons they got a chepo laptops from compupac with a three year warranty . I think it was typical 400e spec not a core I processor but the warranty alone would be worth it. If ur not doing that much.

Whatever you do, stay clear of PC World.

I wouldn't stay clear I just wouldn't buy into the extras they push u on. Have a budget and stick to it. They will follow u to the car to sell the insurance, fact !!!

I do quite a bit of home support and a client had a pc world pc. It had a corrupt OS and took it back after a few months as she had bought the extra support package. The ba$tards charged her 60 quid to run a simple system restore the charge was for backing up my docs folder to cd. This was after paying for the extra support and insurance on the pc. Be careful with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Currys PC World: Declan

bennyc wrote: »
    I wouldn't stay clear I just wouldn't buy into the extras they push u on. Have a budget and stick to it. They will follow u to the car to sell the insurance, fact !!!

I do quite a bit of home support and a client had a pc world pc. It had a corrupt OS and took it back after a few months as she had bought the extra support package. The ba$tards charged her 60 quid to run a simple system restore the charge was for backing up my docs folder to cd. This was after paying for the extra support and insurance on the pc. Be careful with them.
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/SAMSUNG-NPS3510-500GB-Dual-Core-Laptop-Black/306742/301

I can vouch for this as I bought it for my own kids not two weeks ago. Plenty of these to look at in the Sligo PC World. You can get cheaper of course but this is just an impressive looking and performing laptop.

Nobody's going to chase you to the car to sell insurance. I spent € 115 on Coverplan for the laptop above and I run this company. I did this firstly because I invested € 500 two years ago in a laptop for my son and he duly dropped in out of its bag and onto the pavement after 1 year. Off for a new screen at no cost to me. He also gets a free service on it once a year for five years. And he's covered for anything that happens to it through manufacturing fault or use ( and most problems occur through use ). We fix over 30,000 laptops every year, pick them up from your home, fix them and drop them back. It's a pretty decent service, costs money and no-one's going to force it on you. We might be a bit evangelical about it as I am here but pushy only alienates customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Thanks for suggestions. I got a great deal in Expert Samsung 8gb ram 320gb hardrive, canon printer,scanner and copier, laptop bag and mouse all for €450. Had been looking at HP in PC World for the same price 4GB ram 500GB hardrive and better processor for same price. Thought expert was better deal as always use external hardrive so that memory wasnt so important and with 8gb ram would do just as good as AMD processor. Needed a printer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/SAMSUNG-NPS3510-500GB-Dual-Core-Laptop-Black/306742/301

I can vouch for this as I bought it for my own kids not two weeks ago. Plenty of these to look at in the Sligo PC World. You can get cheaper of course but this is just an impressive looking and performing laptop.

Nobody's going to chase you to the car to sell insurance. I spent € 115 on Coverplan for the laptop above and I run this company. I did this firstly because I invested € 500 two years ago in a laptop for my son and he duly dropped in out of its bag and onto the pavement after 1 year. Off for a new screen at no cost to me. He also gets a free service on it once a year for five years. And he's covered for anything that happens to it through manufacturing fault or use ( and most problems occur through use ). We fix over 30,000 laptops every year, pick them up from your home, fix them and drop them back. It's a pretty decent service, costs money and no-one's going to force it on you. We might be a bit evangelical about it as I am here but pushy only alienates customers.

Most home insurance policies will cover damage to your personal effects owned or used by you inside or outside the home, including electrical goods. It adds an additional cost to your premium & you have to make sure you specify that you want it, but it's a lot cheaper that forking out an extra 20% of the purchase price on to the top of a computer or any other item you buy.

And I'd be wary of using PC World's cover plans - my brother bought a laptop from them in the & it crashed every few weeks. The repair jobs were botched as he'd to return it again & again. In the year that he had the cover plan, he had the computer in his possession for less than 6 months.

On top of that, any time I've been in either Currys or PC World, I've found the staff to be one, or several of the following.. unhelpful, disinterested, badly informed, arrogant or just plain rude.

If you want a decent PC, well speced & some proper customer service, go to Compupac (as Irish Stew says). I guarantee that you'll get a much better laptop there than you will in PC World for the same price, or less.

And they won't try to sell you cover that in all likelihood, you don't need.

You need to be careful regarding house insurance as they have tightened up in the past couple of years. Any claim can make house insurance a lot dearer.

Also they sometimes have a large excess.

My phone was damaged and when I looked into it, the excess and premium increase it was simply not worth claiming.

And I would have claimed a few years ago and there was no excess and no penalty when it went to renewal time.

The structure of home insurance pricing means that effectively a no claims bonus is in effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

dingding wrote: »
    You need to be careful regarding house insurance as they have tightened up in the past couple of years. Any claim can make house insurance a lot dearer.

Also they sometimes have a large excess.

My phone was damaged and when I looked into it, the excess and premium increase it was simply not worth claiming.

And I would have claimed a few years ago and there was no excess and no penalty when it went to renewal time.

The structure of home insurance pricing means that effectively a no claims bonus is in effect.

That depends entirely on the conditions of the policy you have. A good broker should be able to inform you of all the "small print" clauses before you take out or renew a policy.

• Advertisement

Thanks for suggestions. I got a great deal in Expert Samsung 8gb ram 320gb hardrive, canon printer,scanner and copier, laptop bag and mouse all for €450. Had been looking at HP in PC World for the same price 4GB ram 500GB hardrive and better processor for same price. Thought expert was better deal as always use external hardrive so that memory wasnt so important and with 8gb ram would do just as good as AMD processor. Needed a printer too.

Glad to see you stayed clear of PC World and thank God you didn't get a HP Laptop - they're shoddy pieces of kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Glad to see you stayed clear of PC World and thank God you didn't get a HP Laptop - they're shoddy pieces of kit.

woo really pc world person told me they were excellent and very reliable. The guy that served me in Expert was great and seemed very knowledgeable. Everything is working great the printer is excellent really fast print and scan. Just got UPC broadband and everything is working great so I'm happy. Glad I went to Expert.

My sister just bought new laptop in PC World and got their Cover Plan as she has a 10 month old hope she doesnt have any problems

woo really pc world person told me they were excellent and very reliable. The guy that served me in Expert was great and seemed very knowledgeable. Everything is working great the printer is excellent really fast print and scan. Just got UPC broadband and everything is working great so I'm happy. Glad I went to Expert.

My sister just bought new laptop in PC World and got their Cover Plan as she has a 10 month old hope she doesnt have any problems

HP laptops are great I have one and have no proplems with it. Just make sure you get the spec you need when buying a laptop. The first question is will you be playing games running autocad video editing, if yes then get a pc or expect to be paying close to 1K and have a three year warranty.
    If you have any entry level laptop then loose all the bloatware you prob have a 90 day trial of antivirus so uninstall and get avast or something.

woo really pc world person told me they were excellent and very reliable.

Of course they would.

Including family and friends, I know seven people that bought HP Laptops in PC world in the last 2-3 years. Only one of them still has a HP laptop.

That depends entirely on the conditions of the policy you have. A good broker should be able to inform you of all the "small print" clauses before you take out or renew a policy.

The problem is that if you have any claims on a house insurance it is harder / and more expensive to get a policy the following year.

This was not the problem before. It is like making a small claim on your car insurance, it can cost you more in the long run.

Advertisement