Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maximum UPC broadband available in Charlesland?

Options
  • 08-08-2011 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,

Just wondering what the maximum broadband speed is for UPC in Charlesland. I'm in Charlesland Crescent.

Also how reliable is it? I would be using it to work from home occasionally.

Thanks,
    Michael.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I've a 25Mb line in the crescent, excellent broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wardie214

I got it two months ago and it's excellent.

When I was buying it they said that they are upgrading all the estates to be capable of 100Mb by the end of the year, including, I was told, Charlesland. That remains to be seen.

However, even at 25Mb it's very reliable and would Id highly recommend it. I'm not an employee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

25Mb is the Charlesland max.

I cant fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I'm in the wood.
    1423317762.png

DK32 wrote: »
    I'm in the wood.
    1401928636.png

30Mb package is no longer available.

• Advertisement

Must be due a refund or an upgrade soon then :)

DK32 wrote: »
    Must be due a refund or an upgrade soon then :)

I wish it was an upgrade but 50Mb and 100Mb is not available here. :(

Got a letter yesterday from UPC saying the download limit is been raised from 250Mb to 500Mb from September :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

wardie214 wrote: »
    Got a letter yesterday from UPC saying the download limit is been raised from 250Mb to 500Mb from September :)

You've got a limit? I'm pretty certain the package we're on (25Mb) doesn't have a limit.

The download limit on the 25Mb, 30Mb and the 50Mb is increasing from 250GB to 500GB.

All UPC connections have a limit. Read the small print.

• Advertisement

Damo9090 wrote: »
    The download limit on the 25Mb, 30Mb and the 50Mb is increasing from 250GB to 500GB.

That makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Whats the story with UPC only being available in some areas. Even within areas, some houses can get it and some cant. Neighbour of mine has it but I'm unable to get it. I've emailed UPC to get no reply! Anyone got any idea why?

Where are you?

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Where are you?
    Sorry, should have said. I'm up in Kenmare Heights, not in CL.

Jammyc wrote: »
    Whats the story with UPC only being available in some areas. Even within areas, some houses can get it and some cant. Neighbour of mine has it but I'm unable to get it. I've emailed UPC to get no reply! Anyone got any idea why?

Are you in Charlesland? Charlesland seems to have been piped with high-speed internet, but then that pipe is connected (if the customer service bloke in UPC is to be believed) via a satellite link. So because of this Charlesland is designated as an "MMDS" area. MMDS is the service whereby you can have a satellite hooked up to your roof and get the same service, so because of that you aren't eligible for certain packages. But they've lumped all of Charlesland into that category too. Even the customer service people seemed to have been confused by this as they offered us a bundle only to later charge us full price for everything (including the "free" Sky Sports + Movies). Apparently the problem was we shouldn't have been offered the bundle deal in the first place because we are "MMDS subscribers".

Charlesland is the only estate in Greystones that can avail of their broadband. As far as i know its to do with infrastructure. The cables in Charlesland are much newer. The greater Greystones area has a much older system.

I am very much open to correction here.

That makes sense. The wires up here would be a bit older yeah. Got in touch with them there, despite it saying on the website that nothing is available at my address, we were told that Digital TV is. Broadband currently is not. I wish they'd upgrade the area or something, options are very limited up here.

You could try Niall Quinn's Q-Sat http://qsat.ie/broadband/ starting at €24.95 for 1Mb up to €59.95 for 8Mb.

The download limit is pretty poor starting at 2Gb but you can add on a "Nightsaver" option for €10 which is a genuine (I'm told) unlimited download at off peak (during the night).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Are you in Charlesland? Charlesland seems to have been piped with high-speed internet, but then that pipe is connected (if the customer service bloke in UPC is to be believed) via a satellite link. So because of this Charlesland is designated as an "MMDS" area. MMDS is the service whereby you can have a satellite hooked up to your roof and get the same service, so because of that you aren't eligible for certain packages. But they've lumped all of Charlesland into that category too. Even the customer service people seemed to have been confused by this as they offered us a bundle only to later charge us full price for everything (including the "free" Sky Sports + Movies). Apparently the problem was we shouldn't have been offered the bundle deal in the first place because we are "MMDS subscribers".

Heard something very similar to this myself, although I was told that we were connected via wireless to the trunk (or whatever it is that UPC call it) in Bray. Speaking of which, is there any chance that the work going on up by Windgates is putting down a hardline to Bray? Wishful thinking more than likely :/
    wardie214 wrote: »
    You could try Niall Quinn's Q-Sat http://qsat.ie/broadband/ starting at €24.95 for 1Mb up to €59.95 for 8Mb.

The download limit is pretty poor starting at 2Gb but you can add on a "Nightsaver" option for €10 which is a genuine (I'm told) unlimited download at off peak (during the night).

TBH, I think this should only be used if you have no other choices. It's great for people out in the sticks who can't get proper BB. But it's priced higher than Eircom currently is.

UPC told me Charlesland has it's own dedicated MMDS antenna which is relayed from the antenna in Wicklow.

The Charlesland antenna installation should have been in place before the 1st phase of houses were completed in Charlesland Wood June/July 2004, this was not done so anyone wanting UPC (NTL back then) had to get an MMDS antenna installed on the roof. These were taken down by UPC when the antenna was erected.

• Advertisement

The antenna is between the Court and Wood.

Advertisement