Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

only one set of eyelets for back carrier

• 08-08-2011 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi

I wanted to put on a back carrier, and I have eyelets close to where the axle of back wheel is, but the frame doesn't have the two usual holes up where the back brakes are, so the side arms of back carrier can be attached.

I was wondering what solutions I could have. I could always go to some mechanic's shop and ask them to drill them in for me. Or maybe there are some ready made solutions, I imagine there maybe some attachable bar that could be used. Any clues welcome.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭JOHN_70

One of these is an option, I have used one to put a rack on a road-bike. It replaces the existing seatpost clamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tubus-clamp-set-for-seat-stay-mounting

I would cut up an old tube and put it between the clamp and the seatstay to avoid the paint getting damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

From what your saying this is what you have

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTU4lGwqMPb9aCTjzdVnqhH2nfBV2sO0WZ0AjpmYwP2UZ_JVMuKoarBi04rEA

With two arms at the top to connect to the bike under the saddle. This simply means that you have the wrong rack for your bike, no need to bore holes.
    a few options:
    Either get one of these or convert your existing rack into this
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1TEOlOsSyJLrrm1nMCMgb9966aN8PVp2_Rwktp1rZs-UbABNa

The difference is that instead of having two connecting arms there is one at the centre which connects onto the same fitting as your rear brakes. You may be able to modify your existing rack to attach to your bike as so.

OR

Get yourself a saddle post rack

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-Zlb6MhCixfC-3UBu7KYvxsKROu3GyPZgYXhaVPdM0OV1kaArRw

I have one for a MTB i 'converted' into a tourer, big strong post on that bike which could take 20kg so you would have to check what your road bike post is like.

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭polariz

I bought one of these rear "Sherpa" racks : http://www.carradice.co.uk/categories/omm

Made by a company called "Old Man Mountain". They're held on by a skewer through your hub axle and come with various clamps that can be used to secure the rack to either the brake mounts (if using cantilever brakes) or the frame itself (as I did with my full suss mtb, locked out) so you don't need eyelets. They're really solid and well built, unlike the seatpost racks IMO..
    Pictures and more info here http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Pages/FAQ.html

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭stabeek

Hi,

Many thanks for the replies, they're all really good .. I never thought I'd have so much choice in the matter.

thebouldwhacker, you're right, though I have not bought the carrier yet. Where do you get the ones which use the back brakes connection?

Many thanks to one and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Well I have a bog standard Toctec which can be used either way. The one on my GF bike is old and can only be used as a centre bolt rack. Have a look before you buy to see of it can be used to fit your bike. Have a look in a bricks and mortar shop to see them in the flesh as it were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭doh777

you can use jubilee clips available in any hardware shop.

image search 'jubilee clips'.

some tape (or an old tube as recommended above) wrapped around where they'll be postioned will prevent damage to frame.

Advertisement