Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router Access Question for Fixed Wireless domestic customers

Options
  • 08-08-2011 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

Hey Folks, this question really applies to anybody who takes a fixed wireless service from a provider such as BBNET,ICE Broadband, Digiweb.

Im looking to host a couple of services (ssh server/web server) at my house, certainly nothing too crazy that couldnt be hosted via a standard DSL connection to all the lucky broadband users out there. When I contact my provider BBNET, they inform me that they cannot give customers access to their radios, and the only way I can do what Im looking for is to apply to RIPE for a static address assignment. Even after explaining the beauty of dyndns and port forwarding I was told no its not possible, so after facepalming a few times, I just hung up.
    I know for a fact that they use static addresses within their own access network, as the technician who installed the antenna day one told me. When I queried if they could do the port forwarding to for me, I was again told no, not possible..

Has anybody here had similar problems, and were they able to resolve them without the whole RIPE application process?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

What's the IP address of the device plugged into their radio ethernet socket? Surely that's a public IP?

I had digiweb before, and the radio modem gave, via DHCP, a public IP address to the first device plugged in. I could do all the port forwards I wanted thereafter, through my own router

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

They have the radio set up to NAT everything, and it acts as a DHCP server giving out private addresses. The situation you describe is what I was hoping for initially, but alas it wasnt to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

ah, bummer...

does it do UPnP per chance? If so, on Win XP at least, you could add port forwards to a router from My Network Places once UPnP was enabled on both the PC & router...

whats the modem/routers model number?

Edit: This SW might help: http://www.wiseorbit.com/projects/upnppw/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Bet they'll do it if you sign up to a business package ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Dardania wrote: »
    ah, bummer...

does it do UPnP per chance? If so, on Win XP at least, you could add port forwards to a router from My Network Places once UPnP was enabled on both the PC & router...

whats the modem/routers model number?

Edit: This SW might help: http://www.wiseorbit.com/projects/upnppw/

No PnP im afraid. I cant remember the make/model, but its a fairly plain vanilla yoke from what I recall.

And youre correct, business package gives me everything. Serious PITH altogether!

• Advertisement
Advertisement