Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islands in the Shannon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

There is one down near foynes/glin remember reading about it in the limerick leader the other week, one family lives on it and they were in negotiations with the new river plane company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

only one i can think of out that way is foynes island itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Never knew Foynes island was inhabited....must be nice to pop down to the shops in your boat :)

As far as I know there is two houses on Foynes island and a few industrial silos but I don't think anyone has lived on it for a number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

At the mouth of the Raite there is Johnny Green's Island. There is the ruin of a house there and used to be inhabited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

only one i can think of out that way is foynes island itself

There are a number of small islands in the Shannon estuary. Foynes Island is probably the most obvious in terms of one that has folk living on it.

There is one not far from Limerick (close to where the Shannon passes Bunratty) that was for sale not to long ago that had it's own little pier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Kess73 wrote: »
    There are a number of small islands in the Shannon estuary. Foynes Island is probably the most obvious in terms of one that has folk living on it.

There is one not far from Limerick (close to where the Shannon passes Bunratty) that was for sale not to long ago that had it's own little pier.

Seen that....sold for the price of a 3 bedroom semi in a well too do area during the boom years...

id much prefer my own island than a 3 bedroom semi :D

I must get round to visiting some one them

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pat Fitz

wingnut wrote: »
    At the mouth of the Raite there is Johnny Green's Island. There is the ruin of a house there and used to be inhabited.
    The late Johnny Greene died in 1989, he watched over the lights on the Shannon estuary for Limerick Harbour. There is a punt gun which belonged to the Greene family in the Limerick Museum, and was donated to the museum by the Greene family.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement