Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pondering over new business idea...solar energy

Options
  • 08-08-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

i have been researching the solar energy business concept over the last year, it all came around me actually looking a system myself and i would always research something inside out before making any decision...

i have since being wondering over a business supplying and installing solar systems, from my research and time after looking into the market i think i have something that could work...now im not a plumber but i have a set up in my head that would work...

has anyone any experience in the sector or offer any advise? i have already been speaking to various system suppliers, the better homes scheme etc etc... whats my next step?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Entirely depends on government subsidies, isn't viable on it's own. Also needs feed-in tariff from national grid (which is only coming on-line here). We don't have enough subsidies for solar here at the moment. UK + Germany have massive subsidies.

(not trying to start a green debate, I know fossil fuels are also subsidised etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

srsly78 wrote: »
    Entirely depends on government subsidies, isn't viable on it's own. Also needs feed-in tariff from national grid (which is only coming on-line here). We don't have enough subsidies for solar here at the moment. UK + Germany have massive subsidies.

(not trying to start a green debate, I know fossil fuels are also subsidised etc)

hi thanks for your feedback!

I was thinking of the thermal systems to start with, at least there is a grant and its something that is becoming popular in ireland, have you any experience in the sector yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Not in Ireland. Your first task would be to go and identify exactly what govt subsidies are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭YouBuyLocal

Have you installed them before? They can be quite complex and dependent on a lot of variables. The thermal systems require a super efficient immersion to keep the heat generated for it to be in any way cost-efficient.

The market is also congested, maybe 4 years ago you could have gone in but now, without feed-in tariffs like the UK - which we are very far away from because of the lack of investment in our national grid over the years - it seems to me you'll be struggling without a significant advantage and some added selling points. There are lots of skilled individuals out there doing this already (and a lot of cowboys) and although people still have savings, most haven't got the spare cash, even with the subsidies.

My parents have a few in their house that my Dad installed, so I know a bit about this, but not much.

I would look for a different edge in energy innovation. The first stop-shop for energy innovation for anyone who knows what they're doing is ALWAYS insulation. But you green-eyed neighbours can't see your insulation the way they can see a couple of shiny solar panels on your roof;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 suarez9

Enervise.ie seem good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

suarez9 wrote: »
    Enervise.ie seem good

Not from that site it doesn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

NIMAN wrote: »

i never seen it tried to watch it on the bbc player but cant watch it cause not in the uk, does anyone know how to get around this would love to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Solar energy, as in electric photovoltaic, is lightyears from being viable. Your talking less than 5% of sunlight to electricity. Its also ridiculously expensive at this time. Ireland also does not have suitable sunlight to make it viable.

Thermal on the other hand does work, but its a fairly saturated market. Pretty much every plumber is doing it.

Which end are you looking at? Electricity or Thermal?

trixyben wrote: »
    i never seen it tried to watch it on the bbc player but cant watch it cause not in the uk, does anyone know how to get around this would love to see it!

To watch bbc iplayer follow these instructions:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKE9pbuujFg

• Advertisement

ironclaw wrote: »
    Solar energy, as in electric photovoltaic, is lightyears from being viable. Your talking less than 5% of sunlight to electricity. Its also ridiculously expensive at this time. Ireland also does not have suitable sunlight to make it viable.

Thermal on the other hand does work, but its a fairly saturated market. Pretty much every plumber is doing it.

Which end are you looking at? Electricity or Thermal?

Exactly right... I think he said thermal, but it is much more complex than it sounds. Not necessarily to install them, but to upgrade the plumbing in the house to make it efficient you need to know what you're doing.

And every plumber is doing it already.

Advertisement