Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

haircut: children hairdresser or not?

Options
  • 08-08-2011 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have 2 kids (3 years old girl and 18 months old boy) and have to bring them every 2 months to the hairdresser. I used to go to KiddizCut but I find the service quite inconsistent, sometimes the cut looks great, sometimes it's just a few snips here and there (it's different staff, but you can't know in advance who will be there). And it's about 18/20 euros, which I find a bit steep when the "haircut" is just a trim.
    Recently, my daughter has asked to grow her hair, but we still need to cut her fringe and I don't want to be charged a full cut for that. I also find that the last cut my son got was quite bad so I want to find somewhere else to bring them. Do you think a barber would take a boy that age? Or can someone recommend a kids hairdresser (or a normal hairdresser that takes children) in the Dublin North area?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I use the local hairdresser for my daughter who is 2 and a half and they charge me 8 euro to cut her fringe and trim the back of her hair slightly (less than an inch off). She actually likes it more than she liked Kiddicutz because she feels like a big girl when she's getting her hair done! I'm sure they'd cut the boys hair for you too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My 2 year old Nephew hates the kiddies hairdresser but we had no problems in a regular salon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

My eldest girl got her first professional hair cut after she turned 4...it's been mom's bowl cut before and since :D

My younger girl (22 months) has never had a pro cut, it's a case of sit on mom's knee while she tries not to snip ears.

Didn't realize people really brought their kids to the hairdressers reguarly, but then again I suppose it's not much of a priority for me...I get a haircut about 1-2 times/year (I have short hair but am just too cheap) :D

Ayla wrote: »
    My eldest girl got her first professional hair cut after she turned 4...it's been mom's bowl cut before and since :D

My younger girl (22 months) has never had a pro cut, it's a case of sit on mom's knee while she tries not to snip ears.

Didn't realize people really brought their kids to the hairdressers reguarly, but then again I suppose it's not much of a priority for me...I get a haircut about 1-2 times/year (I have short hair but am just too cheap) :D

I wouldn't trust myself to do it properly! That's the only reason she goes to the hairdresser! The youngest hasn't got enough hair to have cut yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Hehehe, I don't do it properly at all - my husband always rolls his eyes when he's seen the butchering I've done. :eek:

But they're kids, and what's childhood w/o wacky haircut photos? :D

• Advertisement

Hehehe, I don't do it properly at all - my husband always rolls his eyes when he's seen the butchering I've done. :eek:

But they're kids, and what's childhood w/o wacky haircut photos? :D

I'll have to root out the school photo with me and my new "bob"... what we seemed to forget is that I had frizzy hair, and what looked like a lovely sleek bob when wet, was actually up over my ears once it was dry!!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I tried to cut my son's fringe once. Will never try that again. He was lucky he just got away with a very bad hair cut, and his eyes still intact. And the photos of him for the following 3 months will stay in a well locked album!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

As a men's hairdresser i've had babies as young as 9 months getting their hair cut. A good hairdresser will be prepared for young kids, bad hairdressers are rife and think that a childs haircut is not as important as an adults. That's just bad business as consistency is very important for repeat business.
    In our salon we have a smaller chair with a dvd or a booster for the big seat when they get a bit older. A lollipop when they're finished and for the older ones we have hairspray colours. We also do a discount day for kids on a wednesday. €5 for the cut. We just do the boys but have often trimmed their sisters fringe and generally wouldn't charge for it.
    If you find a good hairdresser stick with them, they're hard to come by ;)

cbyrd wrote: »
    As a men's hairdresser i've had babies as young as 9 months getting their hair cut. A good hairdresser will be prepared for young kids, bad hairdressers are rife and think that a childs haircut is not as important as an adults. That's just bad business as consistency is very important for repeat business.
    In our salon we have a smaller chair with a dvd or a booster for the big seat when they get a bit older. A lollipop when they're finished and for the older ones we have hairspray colours. We also do a discount day for kids on a wednesday. €5 for the cut. We just do the boys but have often trimmed their sisters fringe and generally wouldn't charge for it.
    If you find a good hairdresser stick with them, they're hard to come by ;)

Thanks for your advice. You wouldn't happen to be in Dublin North, by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Unfortunately not. . . i'm in Meath .. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I think it's worth a trip to meath though, don't you OP;)

My lad is 9 now, but has been going to the same barber since he was 1. He sat on my lap then, and the barber was fab. We were only there last week, and there were 2 mams with toddlers on their laps getting hairs cut and there wasn't a peep out of them.
    It's on dublin northside if you want to pm me OP, but I'm sure there are many hairdressers who offer the same service.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

Hi, My little girl is 16 months old now, and I've never put a scissors near her hair. is this wrong? I haven't dreamt of cutting her hair yet, even though its down in her eyes more often than not!

fi1979 wrote: »
    Hi, My little girl is 16 months old now, and I've never put a scissors near her hair. is this wrong? I haven't dreamt of cutting her hair yet, even though its down in her eyes more often than not!

My 18 month old hasn't had a hair cut yet either, but that's because she's practically bald!

It's not wrong, the hair is healthier if it is trimmed every few weeks though, the hair at the end is all her baby hair don't forget.

fi1979 wrote: »

No, it's really up to you ;) My little girl had very thin, sparse hair until she was 2, we cut it when she was about 18 months to fortify it, and now trim it every 3 months and she has lovely thick hair now.
    My son was born with a full head of hair, never fell, so when he was 1 he had so much it fell into his eyes and I had to put him a hairband. Only he has a very boyish face, so it wasn't very suitable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 magrat

Most hairdressers will do childrens hair. I always just went to the same one as myself for my girls, the ordinary barbers for my son.

When my son was around 9/10 we bought one of the hair trimmers and have always just done it at home since. He is 20 now so has been doing his own for the past five years or so.

My younger daughter needs a fringe trim - and I have been using the shop over near tesco in finglas - they usually only charge around a fiver too.

I would go with your local and see how that goes. I second the statement that a good hairdresser is worth keeping a hold of. You get someone your happy with and hang on tight!!

magrat wrote: »
    Most hairdressers will do childrens hair. I always just went to the same one as myself for my girls, the ordinary barbers for my son.

When my son was around 9/10 we bought one of the hair trimmers and have always just done it at home since. He is 20 now so has been doing his own for the past five years or so.

My younger daughter needs a fringe trim - and I have been using the shop over near tesco in finglas - they usually only charge around a fiver too.

I would go with your local and see how that goes. I second the statement that a good hairdresser is worth keeping a hold of. You get someone your happy with and hang on tight!!

My sister in law works in that hairdresser in Finglas :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

This was good enough for me. How times have changed. :pac:

red_bowl.jpg

HairCuttingScissors.gif

8292837-upset-boy-in-a-shirt-and-tie-holding-his-hands-behind-his-head-isolated-on-white.jpg

Advertisement