Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for an upgrade, but on a tight budget

Options
  • 08-08-2011 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Have been keeping my C902 alive for too long now. I love the old girl but a fourth keypad seems like a stretch.

Last january SE released the Vivaz, and at the time I was drooling for the thing, but back then it was about €500, so out of my reach as a pov student. Now its around 200 so within reach, but very dated....

Pros:
    Nice stills
    Really nice video
    Right size
    Light
    3.5mm Jack
    Wifi

Cons:
    Resistive :(
    App limitations due to OS

So, what I'm wondering is can I get something better in my price bracket. From my searches the answer would seem to be no, but I just thought I'd ask before I spend(gonna buy at the end of the month).

Budget: €200, hard limit €220
    Will buy from Ireland or the UK only.

Would like to go over to droid(Already have a tablet running 2.3) but I cant see anything in my price point.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
    LB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

LG Optimus 7?

Cheap, great specs, access to windows market place. Capacitive screen. 16GB storage all for around 170 on ebay.

The camera wouldn't be the greatest, but it certainly does the job. It will record 720p too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

As well seen some HTC Mozarts on Amazon for 200 pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cheers guys.

The optimus 7 looks nice. The Mozart looks like a small step up again. Gonna look a little further, amazon best price is 200GBP, or €229. Worth the stretch though if its a good phone and will likely be something I'll carry for the next two years.

One thing is I cant really splash for a data package and the stock o2 Prepay system is a euro a day for 50MB :| Due to this I'd want to disable all data unless on wifi(wifi at home and in college, I can do without FB for a few minutes when I'm not near an access point. I assume this can be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Well few things to consider.

HTC Mozart has 8GB of memory, so it might not be alot for some users. Especially if you like to have a good few hundred songs and videos on it.

Personally in looks i think Mozart looks alot slicker and as usual excellent build quality from HTC.

LG Optimus 7 is very good value for the money. 16GB internal memory. Camera isnt as great as it is on Mozart, but it does the job.
    The main thing that i like about Optimus is the hardware buttons. As well as being a fairly robust phone :)

Biggest complain from most people that they press the search button when in an app or somewhere else cause the finger slides of the screen. No problem like that with Optimus 7.

But for around 180 to 220 for a high end smartphone i dont think any one can complain. If ya go to a shop the best you can get for that is a wildfire or an ace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Oh, neither of the them have a card slot...WTF? Thats kinda been standard for years. Either way I was planning on picking up a 32GB at some point(I have 8's in m2/micro). That kinda puts a new edge on things as I was gonna use it as a media player.

I supposed if I can survive with a 2GB player shuffling daily, going back to 8GB would be ok. If I'm gonna watch video on the go I'll bring the tablet. Both have FM and I listen to a lot of radio wherever I am.

#thinkingoutloud :p

Anybody in dublin stock either(both?) of these? Wouldnt mind a hands on.

Cheers for all the input,
    LB.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Vodafone on Grafton St usually have the LG out on display.

Expanding budget to €270, if that opens any better options.

After reading some more I've decided to completely exclude WP7.

Ok, bump again.

SE X10 looks like a prime candidate now, no real flaws I can find with it spec wise, but searching it seems SE might be bollixing around with their android releases. Anyone have any first hand experience. I dont mind having to flash a rom onto it if there are stables out there.

All input welcome,
    Thanks,
    Lethal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement