Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we mad? :-(

• 08-08-2011 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey ho everybody! We are new to the forum and have been lurking a while because we are looking for a camper and have been reading up on the right kinda questions to ask. As we are new to campers we have decided to go through a dealers. We have looked at a good few that fall in to our tiny price bracket...my question is..we have seen one we really really like...in fact I think I am in love :D But with 214,000 kms on the clock are we nuts to even consider it? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Hey ho everybody! We are new to the forum and have been lurking a while because we are looking for a camper and have been reading up on the right kinda questions to ask. As we are new to campers we have decided to go through a dealers. We have looked at a good few that fall in to our tiny price bracket...my question is..we have seen one we really really like...in fact I think I am in love :D But with 214,000 kms on the clock are we nuts to even consider it? :(

Is there a service history, how old is it, is it a van or a motor home. The pannels on motor homes can work loose over time and shaking starting to let in water. What is the price. Check it for damp and get a mechanic to look at it. The engine should be good for another 214k is it's a big diesle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 digbychicken

Howdy, its a 94 VW LT31. I'd say it can be gotten for €8750. It will be serviced before we get it. Have also asked them for info re when the cambelt was changed...think thats a problem with the LT 31's? I am open to correction cos thats just what I read about them :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Howdy, its a 94 VW LT31. I'd say it can be gotten for €8750. It will be serviced before we get it. Have also asked them for info re when the cambelt was changed...think thats a problem with the LT 31's? I am open to correction cos thats just what I read about them :confused:

Is it a van conversion LIKE THIS
    Or a coach-built LIKE THIS

Its the second one there..thats the actual coachbuilt we have looked at. What do you think? I do really like it. But it needs a bitta TLC. Should I ask for a DOE test too? I have asked about an Engineers report alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

Hi,heres another Karmann you might consider,
    http://www.adverts.ie/676315
    its mine(cheeky)

• Advertisement

Hey Terry, I was actually going to mail you! I spotted you over on Karmann Coachbuilts as well :) can you let me know two things, when was last service done and when was cambelt changed? You can PM me if you prefer,
    Thanks a million,
    Bronagh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

karmaan wrote: »
    its mine(cheeky)

Thats a nice van. What sort of MPG do you get? What is the 'cruising' speed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Karmann would be considered a quality German converter.
    Being a coachbuilt of 17 years old it is important to have it damp tested by someone who knows what they are doing, if there is any trace of water ingress walk away.
    I wouldn't be overly concerned about the mileage, the base vehicle should be good for at least 300,000Kms and more if regularly serviced.

A DoE is not yet a legal requirement. I would spend my money on an engineers report or a good mechanic who will check stuff like engine condition, transmission condition, suspension & steering, brake component (shoes, pads, pistons, cylinders, etc.) condition, the kind of stuff not covered in an NCT / DoE test, and have a good look for any rust that might be structurally significant..

Hey Terry, I was actually going to mail you! I spotted you over on Karmann Coachbuilts as well :) can you let me know two things, when was last service done and when was cambelt changed? You can PM me if you prefer,
    Thanks a million,
    Bronagh
    pm sent Terry

650Ginge wrote: »
    Its not fast , sits nice up to 95 kmph, im guessin it does about 25 to 30 mpg,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

650Ginge wrote: »
    Its not fast , sits nice up to 95 kmph, im guessin it does about 25 to 30 mpg,

That's fast enough and the mpg ain't bad either. My 1.9 td fait only gets 22 on a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

its mine(cheeky)

Was going to contact u as I love ur van specially the bike rack as I race motocross and it Would b perfect however price an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Pat Keogh is a very decent fellow , and Karmann are a good brand , so if it's in good order and not smokey etc it may be worth a chance . KMS seem high , but maybe it was just one that had a lot of regular use .

The driving feel on them is a bit....different.... I actually like it , as I have a '79 LT31 as a Retro rally service barge , but some people think they feel weird .

Advertisement