Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tanning hoggets!!

• 08-08-2011 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

hi all, its the time of year again for tanning the hoggets for sale!! normally we use yellow clay, mix with water and brush it on the fleece, when it dries ya have a nice brown colour, makes em look a bit better. years ago we could get youngs golden fleece dip which we could spray on with de napsack which was very handy, but it cant be got now. i was wondering what other people use.?? some people used even use trodax, but that turned the fleece more yellow than brown

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I see the sheep in shows that are browned like this. I dont understand it what is it thats trying to be achived? I would have thought a nice cleep fleece would be prefreble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rivervalley

its like the women, they rather have a bit of the brown stuff on!!! makes em look good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

its like the women, they rather have a bit of the brown stuff on!!! makes em look good!

I learned a long time ago that women or sheep with too much yellow ochre or polyfilla are best avoided ;):rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

hi all, its the time of year again for tanning the hoggets for sale!! normally we use yellow clay, mix with water and brush it on the fleece, when it dries ya have a nice brown colour, makes em look a bit better. years ago we could get youngs golden fleece dip which we could spray on with de napsack which was very handy, but it cant be got now. i was wondering what other people use.?? some people used even use trodax, but that turned the fleece more yellow than brown

I have never understood this either. Fleeces are worth more (well a little more) than they have been for ages, why would anyone devalue them before sale by colouring them? Discoloured wool has always been a second-class product.

It is bizarre, I would love to know the origins of it. Or if anyone who would prefer to buy/pay more for a sheep with discoloured wool, could they explain why?

Thanks

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

We used to have pedigree texels for shows when we were kids. A lot of the competition was against suffocks and tanning was popular with the suffocks. The texels were supposed to be white. I think a lot of the suffock breeders used to use trodax back in the day. However, there are some speciality products available in the uk like this:

http://www.jamescountrysupplies.co.uk/Sheep-Showing/Colouring-Shampoos-Conditioners/Jobsons-Biscuit-Bloom-Powder/prod_5.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rivervalley

well lads the tanning worked, 200 to 260 euro for hogget ewes today in borris.huge money for ewes. wonder how the buyer will make money out of them? happy days

well lads the tanning worked, 200 to 260 euro for hogget ewes today in borris.huge money for ewes. wonder how the buyer will make money out of them? happy days

The buyer can't make money, but assuming he/she is an adult, that is their problem. Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭sheeper

of course he can make money on them

1 ewe costs him 200 and she should have 1.5 lambs

if he is using the right ram he will get €100 per lamb so in his 1st year thats €150

over 5 years thats €750 and the ewe can be culled for €100

so she leaves €650 over her life

take away the costs say €60 per year = 300

she still leaves 350 over her life

thats nearly 100% return in 5 years

now find a bank that will do that ATM

sheeper wrote: »

if he is using the right ram he will get €100 per lamb so in his 1st year thats €150

My bank ATM won't do that ATM!

Will lambs really be €100 each every year for the next 5 years?

LC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

I based cost on €80 per lamb, and average 1.6 wean over 5 years.
    Thats 128 per ewe per year, or 640 over her life time, plus say 60 cull thats 700. averaged 185 for hogs this year, leaving 515 so leave 100 a year on average without taken costs and losses into account.

so don't think your to far off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

ewe lambs can be bought at approx €100 to €110 , never mind the crazy prices on done deal or the fancy prize winners in the comic each week, I have seen them in the marts and they are available

most years we wean over 1.5 lambs from our ewe lambs

ok they need a little more attention at lambing and the lambs need to to weaned a bit earlier, but it has been shown that they have better maternal instincts for life

costing €100 less each and you have a ewe a year younger , IMO hogget prices are unjustified

Advertisement