Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental leave directive

Options
  • 08-08-2011 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

So far in the office 8 women have taken parental leave under the parental leave directive.

I do say to them well for them who can afford it with their husbands working.

Any men out their who can afford to take unpaid leave?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I know a Dad who uses it to take a half day every friday, so that he can do the long drive to pick up his kids for weekend access, I know another Dad who uses it to go see his kids who are in a different country and a mother who is a widow who uses it as extra unpaid leave in the summer when the children are off school as there is no suitable child care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Sharrow wrote: »
    I know a Dad who uses it to take a half day every friday, so that he can do the long drive to pick up his kids for weekend access, I know another Dad who uses it to go see his kids who are in a different country and a mother who is a widow who uses it as extra unpaid leave in the summer when the children are off school as there is no suitable child care.

Would be nice, but where i work you can only take it in blocks of 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

alex73 wrote: »
    Would be nice, but where i work you can only take it in blocks of 2 weeks.

That part of the problem with it.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm hoping to take 1 day per week parental leave when I go back to work, however I don't know if my employer will consent. If not, I'm going to apply for a 4 day week contract. They used to let you take it whatever way you wanted, but apparently they've changed it now. Someone in the office said they'll only let you take it in two blocks of 7 weeks, which doesn't suit me. According to citizens information website it seems to be at the discretion of the employer how the leave is taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 emmeim

it seems to be at the discretion of the employer. here you can only take a minimum block of 6 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

emmeim wrote: »
    it seems to be at the discretion of the employer. here you can only take a minimum block of 6 weeks.
    Same as that.

Any men out their who can afford to take unpaid leave?

I don't think the gender issue is relevant re: parental leave. If someone can afford to take 6 weeks off unpaid, it hardly matters if they are male or female. If a woman is working and they can afford for her husband to take parental leave then he should.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Just on this topic I see we're behind schedule in terms of extending the length of parental leave that should be available.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/parents-have-to-wait-till-2013-for-extra-leave-2842537.html

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

I was just reading about this parental leave yesterday. What I couldn't quite make out though was if the 14 weeks leave is per child, or is it 14 weeks overall, regardless of how many children you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

It's per child

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/parental_leave.html

A lot of the restrictions (or lack of them) seem to depend on your employer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

alex73 wrote: »

??? So they shouldn't take it? What business is it of yours?

• Advertisement
Advertisement