Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Coast Run Sportive

• 08-08-2011 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Anybody have any further info on this as my nearest and dearest is hoping to do her first 100km sportive. I know its the inaugural event but anybody here any insight to the 100km Leisure route. No profile on the web and don't know the roads in that area. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

First I've heard about it but seems to be some kind of series as there is photo's from the Limerick/Clare leg so looks interesting enough.

I can't tell which way its going to go but for the 100km route approx 35km's from the start/finish is pretty flat with no climbs but the middle section is tough enough, the road surface it rough and rolling with 1 reasonable climb there but nothing too difficult.

Its become my regular training spin and I enjoy it with great views either way.

If weather is good then I'll go for the 145km. Accu weather is saying cloudy at the moment but I'll wait till closer the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Thanks at1withmyself. Can you tell me where that climb is exactly. I think the route returns via the coast road and hopefully a tailwind. Would love to do the 145km but have to stay with herself to give some support and the occassional push on any hills!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

if its that map you linked its out the clifden road N59, left at Maam cross and over to screeb, back in the coast road to Galway.

No real hills of mention on route but can be tough as you head towards the coast if your getting a head wind over to Screeb.

The run in along the coast is usually with a tail wind so shouldnt be too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I've found a bit more info about the event on the website (it's about one third of way down on this page).
    Route options include, 100km Leisure, 145km Sportive, 10km Family / Kids Free Fun Cycle, Signing on from 8.00am, Kingfisher Leisure Centre, Galway, Family / Kids fun cycle starts at 8.30am, Leisure and Sportive 9am Sharp!!

’The Galway Coast Run’ Starting from Kingfisher, cyclists will head for Salthill, then Barna, Derroe, Derravonniff, (Food Stop) from here the leisure cyclists go to Maam Cross, Oughterard, whilst the Sportive cyclists head for Garroman, Carna, Maam Cross, (Food Stop) Oughterard, and finishing up at Kingfisher, Galway.
    So it's the opposite direction to what Jimbobaloobob thought. It's a rolling route, but with no categorised climbs :)
    I'll probably do it since it starts right on my doorstep, unless the weather is absolutely brutal!

Here's the profile for the 145km route:
    galwaycoastrun145kmrout.jpg

I've found a bit more info about the event on the website (it's about one third of way down on this page).

Are they trying to make it as hard as possible to find the information, only for the link above I couldn't find any details on what time registration was to take place so thanks for spotting that....

• Advertisement

Just spotted this on the Coast Run website:
    'Inaugral Galway Coast Run’ 145km sportive and 100km leisure cycle, Saturday 13th August, signing on at salthill car park, on salthill’s promenade, sign on from 8am, starting at 9am sharp!!
    Has anybody else here signed up? I haven't, but I'm planning on registering on the day depending on the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

yeah, just noticed the venue change a few mins ago...I signed up anyways. i think the weather isn't looking too bad.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

Anyone know what the difference is between the 'leisure' and 'sportive' classifications?
    (e.g. I wonder maybe if the 100km leisure event will be sort of 'held back' to 25km/h or something by the lead car, and maybe the 145km Sportive will be at whatever pace people wanna go)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Just spotted this thread and signed up, thanks for the heads up.

andy69 wrote: »
    yeah, just noticed the venue change a few mins ago...I signed up anyways. i think the weather isn't looking too bad.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

Anyone know what the difference is between the 'leisure' and 'sportive' classifications?
    (e.g. I wonder maybe if the 100km leisure event will be sort of 'held back' to 25km/h or something by the lead car, and maybe the 145km Sportive will be at whatever pace people wanna go)?

Ya weather looks promising with only some light showers so just signed up for 145km online, cost 15 online for non C.I. member. Fiver discount for registering online.

I'd imagine there'll be a lead out from Salthill for a few km's and then go at any pace you like from there on. Wind will be against on the way out the coast and then push accross to Maam cross with a side wind then home...

If Father Ted featured a sportiff on an episode then this would definitely feature on it!

Arrived at 8:30 this morning on the promenade and no one showed up till 8:58 for sign on. At that stage we were informed there was only 1 support vehicle which was also covering food stops etc. We were all asked if anyone was familiar with the route and told to stay near those who knew the route! I'd say there was no more then 60 people in total at the start (if even).

So off we went on direction (of the organiser) to follow the coast road to a T junction and go left for the 145 and right for the 100, I thought I knew the turn but the road I'm familiar with is earlier on the road so after 40 odd km and keeping an eye out for the juntion and first food stop the lead group overshot an earlier (and not mentioned) turn and continued onto Carraroe but a few of us were sure we were going the wrong way as its a dead end in Carraroe so got directions from a local and got back on track. 5 of us then got to the junction (no food stop) and 3 headed home leaving 2 of us up front on the 145 and continued onto to Carna, around to Recess and onto Maam Cross for the second foodstop but no sign of anyone. From there continued into Oughterard where we broke up as it was the home stretch and back home to Galway. We didn't see any other cyclist from the group since leaving the other 3 to go home via the 100km route.

After the start the car lead us out and after Inverin (about 25km) I didn't see the car or any sign of a food stop at any stage of the cycle. I enjoyed the ride and was glad I had company for most of the route and while there was a bit of a wind it was a good day with some light showers.

Overall I covered 165km's in 5:47 hrs and an altitude gain of 885m and legs aren't too bad now after Shower and Dinner.

In one sense I credit the guy for still trying to go ahead but it was also irresponsible to run the spin as anyone not familiar with Galway and who didn't bring money or tubes/tools could have gotten into real trouble. I'm from Galway and still got lost so hope everyone got home ok in the end and curious to hear any other reports. There was no facilites on the promenade for anyone to change or shower either so should have stuck with the Kingfisher!

Edit - oh ya 1 boardsie jersey at the start, didn't catch his name but I was on the red/black Dolan.

• Advertisement

If Father Ted featured a sportiff on an episode then this would definitely feature on it!

Arrived at 8:30 this morning on the promenade and no one showed up till 8:58 for sign on. At that stage we were informed there was only 1 support vehicle which was also covering food stops etc. We were all asked if anyone was familiar with the route and told to stay near those who knew the route! I'd say there was no more then 60 people in total at the start (if even).

So off we went on direction (of the organiser) to follow the coast road to a T junction and go left for the 145 and right for the 100, I thought I knew the turn but the road I'm familiar with is earlier on the road so after 40 odd km and keeping an eye out for the juntion and first food stop the lead group overshot an earlier (and not mentioned) turn and continued onto Carraroe but a few of us were sure we were going the wrong way as its a dead end in Carraroe so got directions from a local and got back on track. 5 of us then got to the junction (no food stop) and 3 headed home leaving 2 of us up front on the 145 and continued onto to Carna, around to Recess and onto Maam Cross for the second foodstop but no sign of anyone. From there continued into Oughterard where we broke up as it was the home stretch and back home to Galway. We didn't see any other cyclist from the group since leaving the other 3 to go home via the 100km route.

After the start the car lead us out and after Inverin (about 25km) I didn't see the car or any sign of a food stop at any stage of the cycle. I enjoyed the ride and was glad I had company for most of the route and while there was a bit of a wind it was a good day with some light showers.

Overall I covered 165km's in 5:47 hrs and an altitude gain of 885m and legs aren't too bad now after Shower and Dinner.

In one sense I credit the guy for still trying to go ahead but it was also irresponsible to run the spin as anyone not familiar with Galway and who didn't bring money or tubes/tools could have gotten into real trouble. I'm from Galway and still got lost so hope everyone got home ok in the end and curious to hear any other reports. There was no facilites on the promenade for anyone to change or shower either so should have stuck with the Kingfisher!

Edit - oh ya 1 boardsie jersey at the start, didn't catch his name but I was on the red/black Dolan.

You've hit the hail on the head with your description of the day that's for sure! And I'm pretty sure it was me who you were chatting to at the start as I was wearing the Boards jersey (nice wheels btw!). I was chatting to Vecktarman as well at the start.

My day started off grand with a nice bit of shelter from the wind when we were all in one bunch on the way out to Spidall. But I was absolutely dying for a p1ss and I stopped in Spidall.....massive mistake! I gave it 100% to try and get back to the main bunch for 10km after that but to avail. I caught a few guys but they were doing the 100km, so I went on ahead to try and catch anybody doing the 145km as that was what I was planning on doing. At the turn-off for the 100km/145km I was with 2 guys who were doing the 100km so I decided to play it safe and only do the 100km :o

It was very disappointing that there were very very few route signs/directions, no organised food stops and no shower/changing facilities. However the organiser guy said that 2 people had not turned up that morning and that another person was in a car accident that morning (I hope he/she is ok). At the end of the day the organiser guy was just trying to do the best he could :)

Overall I did the 100km in 3hr 35min on a windy showery day. And I'm very glad I brought plenty of water, wine gums, fig rolls, bananas and energy gels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Agree fully with the sentiments of At one and Dastardly although kudos to the organiser for doing the best he could, when there was no sign of an organiser by 8:45am a few of us were debating heading off by ourselves as it looked like it was a no-show by the organiser but as already mentioned he was let down by a couple of volunteers and he ran the sportif alone.
    The headwind on the way out was a big problem, I pulled in after a short distance to adjust my computer wheel sensor and just couldn't fight the breeze to get back to the group so cycled the first 60k solo, I got lost getting back near Galway and ended up doing 106kms in 4hs 15 mins, despite the lack of showers or changing facilities I enjoyed the cycle and would give it another try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 seanitaly

Hi
    I came up from Limerick and arrived at 0730,the organiser was not there til 0900.I sympathize with the organizer's problems on the day.I paid 20 for the registration.No food stops no signposts and everyone got lost including me.We should have been refunded.Will not be returning again will go to Kerry instead where it is properly organised.

Advertisement