Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking with coax cables

• 08-08-2011 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

I've quite a lot of coax cable leftover from when dad setup the TV. Since we have a HTPC using WiFi to connect to the server, it's not that reliable. Would it be possible to use the coax cable to connect the HTPC to the modem/router or the server?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No, you'll need proper network cable.

10Base2 used coaxial cable with BNC connections, but that was slower than 802.11g. You wouldn't have a hope of connecting this to a router either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

jor el wrote: »

10Base2 used coaxial cable with BNC connections, but that was slower than 802.11g. You wouldn't have a hope of connecting this to a router either.
    Okay, thanks anyway. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

it wasn't tv type coax either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No, it would have been. Though I seem to remember putting some hokey looking networks together back in the mid nineties (probably for Doom) that may have used some pretty bad cable.

Even if you could do it, you certainly wouldn't be streaming video content over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

No, it would have been. Though I seem to remember putting some hokey looking networks together back in the mid nineties (probably for Doom) that may have used some pretty bad cable.

Even if you could do it, you certainly wouldn't be streaming video content over it.

I worked in a radio place back then and we played doom all the time:)

You had to remember the terminators...
    I seem to remember it was RG58 cable but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Well there is moca, but the hardware is rare and more expensive than it is worth.

Had a look at that, but decided to get 100m CAT5e for €18 delivered. I put it in bargain alerts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

TV is 75 Ohms, RG59
    CheaperNet 10Mbps Coax network is 50 Ohms, usually RG58, looks similar to TV cable, but definitely is NOT TV coax. It's slightly faster than 802.11b and about 1/3rd or even 1/2 of speed of 802.11g (the 54Mbps is a bit optimistic)

I'm STILL using up coax taken out 10 to 15 years ago and replaced with Cat5 (later Cat5e) for transmitter HF aerial cables and patch cords as that is RG58 / 50 Ohms too. VHF needs RG213 for any distance and UHF LMR400 for any distance of 50 Ohms.

RG6 is 75 Ohm Cable TV cable
    CT100, CT125, TX125, TX100, PF100, PF125 etc is Satellite LNB IF 75 Ohm cable.

I'd heard of MOCA. Basically the idea is to use cable for Satellite/TV for Networking too. It's a backward step. Never seen any gear. Satellite cabling is gradually moving to fibre and TV cables rarely go where you want for Computers. We have 1Gbps Cat5e, one cable per thing to a switch. That's 10 times faster than fastest MOCA as it's a shared bus.

Cable modems can use 75 Ohm Satellite cable on the cable TV side. Satellite coax supposed to be better quality than Cable TV cable. The recommendation for new aerials is to use only RG6 or Satellite Coax and old fashioned traditional TV coax has not enough screening any more.

watty wrote: »
    TV is 75 Ohms, RG59
    CheaperNet 10Mbps Coax network is 50 Ohms, usually RG58, looks similar to TV cable.

I'm STILL using up coax taken out 10 to 15 years ago and replaced with Cat5 (later Cat5e) for transmitter HF aerial cables and patch cords as that is RG58 / 50 Ohms too. VHF needs RG213 for any distance and UHF LMR400 for any distance of 50 Ohms.

RG6 is 75 Ohm Cable TV cable
    CT100, CT125, TX125, TX100, PF100, PF125 etc is Satellite LNB IF 75 Ohm cable.
    dude-wait-what.jpg
    I get it, just a lot to take in :D

Advertisement