Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mtb Hub suggestions?

• 08-08-2011 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭

hi guys my 2 month old rear deore m525 hub (which replaced the same hub) has started acting up :rolleyes: its got a nice bit of play in it at the moment so i figure its in need of a service, im thinking of just replacing it tbh any suggestions for a rugged and reliable hub? doesnt need to be light

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Hope, can't beat 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

Holyboy wrote: »
    Hope, can't beat 'em.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

yep. The lads in OC tuning were at pains to steer me away from Shimano hubs.

Ah Shimano aren't bad, they just need constant sevicing!
    Hope are very arrogant but they can afford to be as they probably are the best,
    a friend of mine was building a new jump bike a few years ago so we ordered various parts including Hope hubset and a set of Rockshox forks, I built up the wheels and put it all together but there was slight play in the front wheel(side to side,like) my friend rang Hope to see if there might be a problem with the hub and was told very blankly that the hub was perfect and that they don't ever supply faulty parts, haha,I thought that was brilliant and of course the problem was with the maxle on the fork:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Another +1 to Hope. Mine replaced a Deore and it's the only thing that's never needed servicing.
    hi guys my 2 month old rear deore m525 hub (which replaced the same hub) has started acting up :rolleyes: its got a nice bit of play in it at the moment so i figure its in need of a service, im thinking of just replacing it tbh any suggestions for a rugged and reliable hub? doesnt need to be light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

any specific hope hub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

any specific hope hub?

a 32h disc hub for MTB

are they a much better quality hub? they cost a nice bit tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Hope Pro 2 Evo Hubs, then with ZTR or 819 Rims

They won't come cheap and you can expect to pay ~€450 give or take a few quit for a new wheel set like that.

Yes they are worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Deore hubs are renowned for giving trouble, I've been riding XT and XTR for years and never any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

its got a nice bit of play in it at the moment so i figure its in need of a service,
    Do the cones just need to be tightened? Two cone spanners and a quick look on youtube will sort that.
    Hope hubs are probably the way to go alright i know a few whom have em and never (well.. not very often) have to do anything with them. But if i was looking for a wheel/hub that was relatively cheap i would go for a set of mavic crossrides. €160ish for two wheels that last and last and last. One thing that annoyed my about Hope is the bloody noise of the ratchet mechanism, Why so loud?

crossrides are good wheels as well yeah? ive had this bike since xmas and ive gone through two deore hubs (although as you said its probably just in need of a tightening any links to some how to videos? id have to get some cone wrenches as well yeah? ) and im just thinking it might be less trouble to just spend a bit of €'s on a good hub/wheelset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I love reading your posts Iseerichbankers,your like the frank spencer of boards,always in trouble with the ordinary simply things on a bike!! Keep posting man,very entertaining!! 10/10

I love reading your posts Iseerichbankers,your like the frank spencer of boards,always in trouble with the ordinary simply things on a bike!! Keep posting man,very entertaining!! 10/10

i try :D as for a rich banker haha god id love to be rich id just pay someone to solve everyone of my problems, are hubs considered simple :confused: ive watched my mechanic take one apart and they seem pretty complex

To adjust the cones on a rear Deore hub you usually need to remove the axle as its generally the drive side lock nut that comes lose and the drive side cone is inside the freehub body! But its not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

davey101 wrote: »
    Do the cones just need to be tightened? Two cone spanners and a quick look on youtube will sort that.

Surely this is all you need to do, Shimanos are grand, just keep an eye on them and don't powerwash into them when cleaning the bike. With care and a bit of maintenance they will last you years.

Jesus, don't go replacing it yet, do you buy a new car when your ashtray is full?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

+1 on the Hope. Have pro2s on a couple of bikes now and can't fault them.
    Reasonably straight forward to replace bearings and plenty of info on youtube etc. on how to do it.
    I actually like the freewheel noise, it can help as a gentle warning when you're riding up on walkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

im just thinking it might be less trouble to just spend a bit of €'s on a good hub/wheelset

Its nearly always less trouble to replace stuff rather than fix it but it will cost you and ultimately the day will come when you need to be able to make repairs yourself. A good wheelset will have benefits but at least give the one you have a chance, I had a crappy set of shimano wheels on my first mtb and had to tighten cones and spokes after every spin but they still lasted a year before i upgraded the bike, if i had of replaced bits every time they got loose i wouldnt be the proud owner of the five bikes i have today :D

Parktool are usually good for descriptions of repairs and if you get stuck then use youtube
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/hub-overhaul-and-adjustment

yeah im going to take it apart and see what i can do :rolleyes: besides F*** it up haha

took it apart and tightened it :D seems to have done the job for now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭thehangtenguy

I too look foward to this mans posts because it reminds me of the issue i used to have as a young fellow continously breaking / replacing stuff 20 odd years ago.
    If your anyway mechanically inclined, buy yourself a Bike maintainace book, a set of decent tools and get stuck into fixing stuff yourself. It ain't rocket sceince and it very satifying when it goes right / a lesson learned when it goes wrong. :D
    Obviously start on the small stuff first and learn as you go along. Don't take on any critical jobs just yet like plumbing hydrailic brakes or installing a new fork.

im not doing too bad on the mechanics side of things so far :D considering i didnt know what a rear derailleur was half a year ago haha, i can pretty much take my full suspension mtb (a bionicon which is more complicated than a normal full suspension bike) apart and put it back together again, im pretty happy with my bike maintenance at the moment

Advertisement