Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Question

Options
  • 08-08-2011 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question, I'm a first year level 7 Computing student. I've failed 4 subjects 2 of which are maths for computing 1 and maths for computing 2. I've been given the repeat timetable and i'm due to sit the maths repeat at the end of this month. TBH i'm not too sure that'll I pass maths, chances are i'll pass maths 1 but not maths 2. If I sit the repeat and fail maths 2 what next? Can I go into second year and repeat maths during second year but go on and do the rest of my subjects as normal? And say I fail maths and have to repeat in second year will this interfere with my maintenence grant?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Not sure if it is the same for each department,
    but for myself, I am allowed to carry one subject into the next year.

So, you can carry one over, but must pass everything else.

That's my understanding of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Not sure if it is the same for each department,
    but for myself, I am allowed to carry one subject into the next year.

So, you can carry one over, but must pass everything else.

That's my understanding of it.

as in from each semester ? I have to repeat maths 1 ( semester 1 ) and maths 2 (semester 2) can I repeat them both as 1 subject if you know what I mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

As far as I know, you can only carry one over.

You can't carry one from each semester of the year over,
    just one subject module.

So you can only carry over one of the Maths modules,
    the other must be passed.

Obviously it is gonna be a hard question for someone to answer but i'm a computing student level 7 and have to repeat maths 1 and maths 2? Anyone on here have to repeat maths? I've got both xmas and summer exams from last year and can do most of the questions on it? Should I be covered for the repeats? Lets just say the maths tutor isin't the most friendliest person in the world :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DkIT_Computing

Hi James,

You can only ever be 5 credits short when you move from one year to the next, which essentially means that you can fail one module and still be allowed to progress, but only one. So if you're repeating maths 1 and maths 2, you must pass at least one of them to progress.

As for the content of the paper, if you can do the previous papers and feel confident about them, then you can do at least part of the course, but that doesn't guarantee that you're covered. Have you tried re-doing your old CA worksheets? Also, bear in mind that you will have a repeat CA to do (details of that should go up on Moodle soon) for each of the subjects

• Advertisement

I had a dodgey enough exam tomorrow that I think i'll have to repeat in semester 2. If I pass the rest of the exams and fail just one Can I repeat that exam in semester 2? Will that interfere with the Maintenence Grant in any way??

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DkIT_Computing

If you fail only one out of all twelve that you took last year, then you'll be able to carry the subject over. When it comes to the semester two exams, you can take that subject's exam, and if it has CA associated with it, some lecturers will arrange to let you do repeat CA over the semester/at the end.

As you're still continuing on to the next college year (you're not repeating the full year), the grant won't be affected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭emmbay

So if your ''approved to progress'' but still have a module which you have failed and can carry over your grant won't be affected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 connie123

Mod Snip:
    No advertising

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

emmbay wrote: »
    So if your ''approved to progress'' but still have a module which you have failed and can carry over your grant won't be affected?

Your in second year and getting the grant for second year (or the next year inyour course) so it wont affect the grant for that year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement