Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for baby swimming lessons in Cork City

Options
  • 08-08-2011 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,
    I would like to start water confidence lessons with my 4 month old baby. Has anyone experience of this and can recommend pools/teachers? I have heard that the baby pool in Bishopstown is not warm enough. I have heard one recommendation of a teacher who works at Brookfield but does anyone know how warm that pool is?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 El Sorab

I thought babies learned to swim by themselves. Just drop them in some water and off they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

There are swimming lessons going on in the baby pool in the mardyke at the moment and that is definitely hot enough. Alternatively, Eilis Burns is starting lessons in Silversprings on the 31st August if you;re looking to teach a future English Channel swimmer :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Share the Tank Field

There are swimming lessons going on in the baby pool in the mardyke at the moment and that is definitely hot enough. Alternatively, Eilis Burns is starting lessons in Silversprings on the 31st August if you;re looking to teach a future English Channel swimmer :-)

Do you have to be a member of Silversprings or is it open to the public? I would be keen to send my little guy there as I've heard that its a really good place to learn to swim

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

Do you have to be a member of Silversprings or is it open to the public? I would be keen to send my little guy there as I've heard that its a really good place to learn to swim
    no you dont have to be a member but you will have to get private lessons, im not sure does eilis take kids that young , she taught all my 3 kids but they had to be 4 before they could go to group lessons , call her at sourse 4505128 and she will talk to you . word of WARNING THE POOL IS not VERY WARM for a baby. the lavanagh cetre in blackrock has a really hot pool though am not sure about baby lessons sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aagnee

Hi, I have similar question, does anyone know swimming place for baby in Cork city center or near center? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

aagnee wrote: »
    Hi, I have similar question, does anyone know swimming place for baby in Cork city center or near center? thanks

Try Oakgrove in Mahon - all of our kids have started out there & really enjoy it - pool is warm & instructors very good with smallies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sorry this thread is a little old... but just thought I would add my experience with Bishopstown Leisureplex parent and baby class today.

The lessons are not in the baby pool, they are in the training pool (the third pool, behind the main one). The temperature in that pool is 28 degrees, and the class is 15 to 20 minutes long. I brought our 8 month old baby, and she was shivering like crazy after about 3 minutes. All the other children, similar. One little girls lips turned a blue colour. It's totally crazy. I asked about the temperature and the instructor said 'Maybe get her a wetsuit, sure it's only 15 minutes". A wetsuit on an 8 month old? How am I supposed to wrestle that onto her in their 'family rooms' which have no changing table? Plus, won't that change her bouyancy?

Also, they expect you to have inflatable armbands for the babies, which seems strange for babies that age. I didn't have them when I learned to swim as a child, and to me they seem like they teach children an odd vertical water position, which then has to be unlearnt.

I will be looking for a refund after one class. It is just not suitable for babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

My kids learnt a long time ago in the Lavanagh Clinic Ballintemple; A very warm therapy pool. Not sure its still going though !

Advertisement