Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a laptop needed for Materials and Technology Education

Options
  • 08-08-2011 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hoping to start this course in September and just wondering will I need to buy a laptop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

There are plenty of Computers in Labs and the Library but you will have to Queue if you can get a laptop for yourself i would recommend it, Lots of lectures go up online before and after the lecture time, it saves you having to print them out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Hoping to start this course in September and just wondering will I need to buy a laptop?

The lads in my year did, they eeded a certain spec laptop with special software for tech drawing.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭scruffystack

If a laptop is too much of an investment for you (which is very acceptable these days) there's no need to panic thinking you won't be able to get through the course. All programs used for course work in that degree is available in the labs in the schrodinger building. That's Solid Works, CAD maybe, Microsoft Office and whatever else. I have a laptop of my own but I rarely use it for any course work I do, I find it too much of a distraction working from my house!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

OP I'm getting a top spec desktop computer for this course for maybe 3/4 the price of a top spec laptop. Desktops can be upgraded as you go along but laptops will have to be replaced. I have a smaller 10" netbook then that runs Solidworks and all the other programmes required for the course that I will use tp transfer my work from home to college.

I'm hoping to start that course in September too!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

RHunce wrote: »
    OP I'm getting a top spec desktop computer for this course for maybe 3/4 the price of a top spec laptop. Desktops can be upgraded as you go along but laptops will have to be replaced. I have a smaller 10" netbook then that runs Solidworks and all the other programmes required for the course that I will use tp transfer my work from home to college.

I'm hoping to start that course in September too!

Were you down today to look at accommodation? There is plenty of space on the desks for a desktop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Were you down today to look at accommodation? There is plenty of space on the desks for a desktop.

No man I'll be living at home ten minutes walk from the University. :o

Free food and washing though :D

Advertisement