Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ants causing damage - Solution??

• 08-08-2011 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

My parents house have had ants around the exterior of the front of the house for a good few years and now the paths are all undermined - uneven and coming away from the walls..

Yesterday an army of them landed in under the the window sills - I sprayed them with fly spray and gave them a good dose of it but the chances are that the ground under the house has a massive colony of them..

Has anyone come across this problem before or does anyone have a good solution to the prob?

So far we have tried:

Diesel (Fairly effective but external use only)
    Fly spray (Limited effect due to limited access but suitable for indoors)
    Ant Powder(Permethrin based insectiside - Only bought it today and not sure if it can be used indoors)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciate

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I know someone who had a similar problem - they called in the professionals - sounds like the only solution for you :o

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭spudulike

slowburner wrote: »
    I know someone who had a similar problem - they called in the professionals - sounds like the only solution for you :o

Do you know what professionals they used and were they successful? I read elsewhere the all the pro's do is lay the chemicals and that's it. Don't necessarily get to the nest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

spudulike wrote: »
    Do you know what professionals they used and were they successful? I read elsewhere the all the pro's do is lay the chemicals and that's it. Don't necessarily get to the nest.
    It was a well known firm in the line of pest control.
    Yes, they pretty much just doused the place with insecticide.
    To be honest, it's not an approach that I would like around me - it resulted in the death of every ground dwelling insect I could see.

Advertisement