Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop to tv....

Options
  • 08-08-2011 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi all

I've been trying to connect my laptop to the Tv via hdmi which works fine for the picture but not the sound, i tried to configure the output for this on the control panel but not having much luck anybody able to help with this? I'm running windows 7 32 bit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Howzer wrote: »
    Hi all

I've been trying to connect my laptop to the Tv via hdmi which works fine for the picture but not the sound, i tried to configure the output for this on the control panel but not having much luck anybody able to help with this? I'm running windows 7 32 bit.

I had a similar problem..first make sure the cable is in properly..this can cause sound not to work..also try disabling all other audio devices..this is the only way I can get sound output via hdmi on my HP laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭First Explorer

Cheers U_fig but have tried that still no joy. Don't think it makes much difference but it's a samsung laptop i have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Hey howser, will you try this for me
    Right click on the little speaker icon down on the bottom right hand side of screen , go into playback devices and see is there one named something like Hdmi output ? if so set that as default when you want sound to be transfered through it , but you must switch back after your down to get normal laptop sound working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Right click on the little speaker icon down on the bottom right hand side of screen , go into playback devices and see is there one named something like Hdmi output ? if so set that as default when you want sound to be transfered through it , but you must switch back after your down to get normal laptop sound working again.

This but it should switch back automatically when no HDMI cable is plugged in.

fionny wrote: »
    This but it should switch back automatically when no HDMI cable is plugged in.
    Oh ya your right im on a desktop with hdmi in constant so i need to do the manual switch.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replys, I tried the above and still no joy. Picture fine and the sound level beside the Hdmi connection is changing so the sound is there to be seen but can't be heard. Thought it could be the cable so took the one from the sky box and tried that still no joy, it's probably something simple but can't figure it out. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Dools2007

Are you disabling the sound on the laptop BEFORE you connect the laptop to the TV??

My Sony requires the sound to be disabled before connecting it to the TV, otherwise it will not work. If I do it the other way around, the sound will refuse to work so try the following:

BEFORE connecting the laptop to the TV via HDMI, disable the sound on the laptop.
    Connect the laptop to the TV
    Test and see if the sound comes through the tv at this point

Let me know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

with one very long hdmi cable no audio would come through for me and on the other 2 foot long one it would.
    the laptop should change the audio device in windows 7 if it picks up the TV.
    changing resolution rate helped me to get my laptop found.
    was very much trial and error for me until I could get it to work.

Won't be home tonight but will try disabling the sound first tomorrow and see how that goes will let you know.

Still no joy with this tried a few different ways but nothing!

• Advertisement

See if you can get any updates for the motherboard or gpu if applicable.

Advertisement