Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-eu student applying to RCSI

Options
  • 08-08-2011 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey fellas ,
    I wanted to get some info on a bunch of things :>..
    Leme start off by saying im an American/Saudi citizen and i have a bachelor in computer science , and i have a scholarship from the Saudi gov to Ireland to study Medicine. I'm very interested into going to RCSI to be honest. and i c they have 2 type of applications for a non-eu applicant one is a 5,6 year and a 4 year where i need to submit a gamsat which im already preparing for.

So I wanted to know which choice should i apply for that would actually have a better chance of getting me accepted?

when i called the admins office they told me i can only apply for one, either the 4 year or the 5,6 year... so which one would be appropriate for an international student?
    I also would like to know you'r guys/gals input on the gamsat, what amount of time is more sufficient enough to be prepared for a higher score than 60.

thanks
    Regards
    Sam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

sams.ai wrote: »
    Hey fellas ,
    I wanted to get some info on a bunch of things :>..
    Leme start off by saying im an American/Saudi citizen and i have a bachelor in computer science , and i have a scholarship from the Saudi gov to Ireland to study Medicine. I'm very interested into going to RCSI to be honest. and i c they have 2 type of applications for a non-eu applicant one is a 5,6 year and a 4 year where i need to submit a gamsat which im already preparing for.

So I wanted to know which choice should i apply for that would actually have a better chance of getting me accepted?

when i called the admins office they told me i can only apply for one, either the 4 year or the 5,6 year... so which one would be appropriate for an international student?
    I also would like to know you'r guys/gals input on the gamsat, what amount of time is more sufficient enough to be prepared for a higher score than 60.

thanks
    Regards
    Sam
    do you have an undergrad degree? if so you can apply for the 4 year, otherwise only the 5 or 6 :), actually since you're american I recommend you just study for the MCAT, and take GAMSAT on the side, alot of americans do it that way, and you can use the better result... I.E. a 30+ MCAT or a 60+ GAMSAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sams.ai

Hey there thanks for your quick reply, yes i do have an undergrad degree in Computer science its a bachelor in science though.
    so would RCSI like me to have an mcat over the gamsat ?il take both ovcorse ,, ok i have a question.. hypothetically i do not get 60 on the gamst or 30 on the mcat..

would i still have a good chance of getting accepted for teh 5,6 year program.... and to be honest even if i take the gamsat & mcat i would like to do the 5,6 year program becuase i feel id gain more experience ,, time is not important to me making sure i learn and be in a good medical environment is more important :)

Hey there thanks for your quick reply, yes i do have an undergrad degree in Computer science its a bachelor in science though.
    so would RCSI like me to have an mcat over the gamsat ?il take both ovcorse ,, ok i have a question.. hypothetically i do not get 60 on the gamst or 30 on the mcat..

would i still have a good chance of getting accepted for teh 5,6 year program.... and to be honest even if i take the gamsat & mcat i would like to do the 5,6 year program becuase i feel id gain more experience ,, time is not important to me making sure i learn and be in a good medical environment is more important :)
    well usually americans take MCAT and not GAMSAT, (although there have been GAMSAT applicants recently), MCAT would be much easier for you since you probably have done humanities classes and all the pre med requirements, plus there are ALOT more resources for MCAT than for gamsat, I studied for my GAMSAT using MCAT stuff.

hypothetically even if you get 28 and 58 or so you can probably get in, unlike us local applicants, they will look at your personal statement, your EC's etc... but I dont know if they will take you on for 5 or 6 year courses, they are ususally reserved for under grad applicants (including international undergrads), you should apply broadly not just to RCSI, there are plenty of other good med schools in ireland :)

well usually americans take MCAT and not GAMSAT, (although there have been GAMSAT applicants recently), MCAT would be much easier for you since you probably have done humanities classes and all the pre med requirements, plus there are ALOT more resources for MCAT than for gamsat, I studied for my GAMSAT using MCAT stuff.

hypothetically even if you get 28 and 58 or so you can probably get in, unlike us local applicants, they will look at your personal statement, your EC's etc... but I dont know if they will take you on for 5 or 6 year courses, they are ususally reserved for under grad applicants (including international undergrads), you should apply broadly not just to RCSI, there are plenty of other good med schools in ireland :)

:) thanks imported_guy, may i ask what school you are in or have been in? im actually going to apply by this "Atlantic bridge"( which i believe is a mediator for universities in Ireland which is based here in the states) so i will be applying to UCD , university of limerick, cork, and national uni og Ireland.. i would have applied to trinity but when i talked to them they said i had to have been a pure science graduate which i feel is ridicules but i look at it as their lose :P...
    are there any other unis im missing ?:pac::pac:

P.S the reason why im soo into RCSI is because i studied at RCSI-MUB 4 years ago before, but had to leave because of money issues. their procedure in admission is different and its easier to get into MUB.

but now i have a full scholarship(to Ireland not to Bahrain) so im eager to get back into medicine and come to Ireland :)..

national university of ireland is actually called NUIG or just galway :P, but you havent missed any, I'm applying next year, I just took GAMSAT early to get it done with, and thats strange with trinity, all it matters is having your pre-req done like chem/organic/bio/humanities/physics, there have been alot of saudi students here recently I know a few in my undergrad (actually more than a few, there is about 40 or so in my college right now, they'll be here for 3 years).... do they not give you scholarship to other countries? such as carribean? I wouldnt advise americans to come here if they could afford carribean or get into a D.O. school with their credentials, MUCH easier to get a residency with either of those especially with D.O. as you can also apply to D.O. and M.D. residencies, however D.O. degrees arent recognised in countries like ireland/saudi etc

• Advertisement

national university of ireland is actually called NUIG or just galway :P, but you havent missed any, I'm applying next year, I just took GAMSAT early to get it done with, and thats strange with trinity, all it matters is having your pre-req done like chem/organic/bio/humanities/physics, there have been alot of saudi students here recently I know a few in my undergrad (actually more than a few, there is about 40 or so in my college right now, they'll be here for 3 years).... do they not give you scholarship to other countries? such as carribean? I wouldnt advise americans to come here if they could afford carribean or get into a D.O. school with their credentials, MUCH easier to get a residency with either of those especially with D.O. as you can also apply to D.O. and M.D. residencies, however D.O. degrees arent recognised in countries like ireland/saudi etc

are you applying to NUIG?? well i hope the best for you... actually i dont have organic chem in my undergade degree , but the universties didnt require me to have that, well teh ones in Ireland dont. but here in teh states yeah i have to go to a community college or something and just tke those tsupid courses just to apply with the MCAT..
    oh yeah ovcorse tehir are scholorships to almost every western country or AAA country.. but I choose Ireland. yeah is teh D.O teh Osteophatic degree? its easier to get into here in the US but ur right many countries would recognise it. leme worry about residency after i get accepted and finish my first three years hhhhhh :P and how long did you study for you'r GMSAT? im just startign to go to the public library and start studying :cool:

are you applying to NUIG?? well i hope the best for you... actually i dont have organic chem in my undergade degree , but the universties didnt require me to have that, well teh ones in Ireland dont. but here in teh states yeah i have to go to a community college or something and just tke those tsupid courses just to apply with the MCAT..
    oh yeah ovcorse tehir are scholorships to almost every western country or AAA country.. but I choose Ireland. yeah is teh D.O teh Osteophatic degree? its easier to get into here in the US but ur right many countries would recognise it. leme worry about residency after i get accepted and finish my first three years hhhhhh :P and how long did you study for you'r GMSAT? im just startign to go to the public library and start studying :cool:
    no i'm not lol NUIG only has 5 and 6 year undergrad courses, my first choice will be UCD & well you need the organic chem etc for the D.O degree too, I studied for GAMSAT last summer, about 4 months? hmm take it easy for ramadan ;) study after eid haha, if you have any more questions PM me

no i'm not lol NUIG only has 5 and 6 year undergrad courses, my first choice will be UCD & well you need the organic chem etc for the D.O degree too, I studied for GAMSAT last summer, about 4 months? hmm take it easy for ramadan ;) study after eid haha, if you have any more questions PM me

hahha thanks my friend yeah teh fasting is killing me here in America i eat at 8:30pm lol allrighty i will :) now if i go to UCD il have someone i already know :>
    im registering for teh sep 2012 prog, but il keep in touch. TC

Advertisement