Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice

• 08-08-2011 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭

I'm just looking for some advice. Last summer and this Summer, I have done volunteer/work experience in a local community radio station and am about to go into my final year of a music degree in TCD. I love working in radio but I wonder where I can go next re courses or master courses in the area. I particular love interviewing people, current affairs and have a natural knack for research, What further education can I get in the area?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

I think you should consider a Masters in Journalism course. There's one at DCU but other colleges run them as well. I think most people going into radio now have a qualification like this, so if you want to maximise your chances it's probably the best option. I think your Music degree would be a help to you as well. Best of luck!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I'm against "J School" - as the Americans call it.

If it was free, sure, but to pay 4.5k for something that isin;t necessary (Journalism is not a regulated industry liked Law or Medicine, you don't HAVE to have a qualification)

You don't need a parchment to succeed in Radio,
    if you can do it you can do it.

However, to get into RTE, who often have a tickbox recruitment policy it wouldnt do any harm.

It boils down to money, it a few grand is nothing to you then do it, but if its alot then give it a miss is my opinion anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

vector wrote: »
    However, to get into RTE, who often have a tickbox recruitment policy it wouldnt do any harm.
    That would be the box below "Do you have a relative in RTE?";)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

This may be true but imo it's more difficult to break into an industry like radio if you're relying on your talent alone, rather than having some type of training.

Advertisement