Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bulling Heifers in August

• 08-08-2011 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭

is bulling charolais x heifers in august too late, id like them calving outdoors because i wouldnt have i dont have the proper housing for them when they calve, i dont think the slats would be the job for new born calves

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

They'll be calving in May. It is on the late side, esp if they are slow to come bulling after calving next year. They could be calving in June then in 2013, if this will be a problem for you it is too late, if not then bull away with an easy calving bull. What are you planning to do with the weanlings?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

what if they dont keep to first serve? any suckler calves we had born later on where soft calves, got pnuemonia etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I've 2 pedigree heifers for bulling in October - but I want calves from them in August/September next year. If they repeat, of if they are hard to find in heat next year, I will still have enought time to ensure early calves. For me, a live calf at any time will do. If he's born early in the year, he's with the spring herd. If late, he's with the autumn herd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭solorpower

i calved some cows for the second time in may and june this year, it was not by design but they were in-calf last year when when i got them.
    first i was anoyed that they did not calve either earlier or later in the year but after doing it this wat for 2 years i can really see the benefits.

outside calving is better for the cow and calf
    less feeding = less cost
    healthy calves (mostly)

i sold the calves in the spring time out of he shed and they did really well but then again everything sold well this year.

the one thing you do need to watch is that they can get over fat very easily, so keep them tighish on the grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

reilig wrote: »
    I've 2 pedigree heifers for bulling in October - but I want calves from them in August/September next year. If they repeat, of if they are hard to find in heat next year, I will still have enought time to ensure early calves. For me, a live calf at any time will do. If he's born early in the year, he's with the spring herd. If late, he's with the autumn herd.

I totally agree with this - a live calf at any time will do!!! I have three AA heifers that I intend to AI next month. One of them is a little small but growing almost as I watch her, so I plan on putting them in calf when they bull in September which will mean calves (hopefully) in June. I've one June born calf this year and she is 'flying'. Granted, she is smaller than the rest of them but I have a few bucket fed calves as well that she is hobnobbing with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Snacker

My family always reckon the best time to Bull is around May-ish.
    Because you can keep them inside when they're born and they'll be more than strong enough to survive outside by the time Spring comes

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

KatyMac wrote: »
    I totally agree with this - a live calf at any time will do!!! I have three AA heifers that I intend to AI next month. One of them is a little small but growing almost as I watch her, so I plan on putting them in calf when they bull in September

While I do agree that a live calf any time is a positive there are a couple of caveats that need to be borne in mind. Any cows short on milk always benefit from the early flush of grass to get the milk flowing particularly if you're double sucking.

Jobs like dehorning can get a little more complicated in high Summer with more flies floating around. Only a minor thing I know but can be annoying for man and beast. Late calves also tend to be more susceptible to changes in temperature and are more prone to pneumonia. In my opinion it's twice as hard to keep a late calf alive as an early one.

You also miss the main weanling sale time in most years when prices are generally at their height.

I've found that mastitis prone cows aren't helped by being full of milk in July/August - I'd like them to be a bit farther on in the lactation if possible.

mainly small things but still prefer an early one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Snacker

jay gatsby wrote: »
    KatyMac wrote: »
    I totally agree with this - a live calf at any time will do!!! I have three AA heifers that I intend to AI next month. One of them is a little small but growing almost as I watch her, so I plan on putting them in calf when they bull in September

While I do agree that a live calf any time is a positive there are a couple of caveats that need to be borne in mind. Any cows short on milk always benefit from the early flush of grass to get the milk flowing particularly if you're double sucking.

Jobs like dehorning can get a little more complicated in high Summer with more flies floating around. Only a minor thing I know but can be annoying for man and beast. Late calves also tend to be more susceptible to changes in temperature and are more prone to pneumonia. In my opinion it's twice as hard to keep a late calf alive as an early one.

You also miss the main weanling sale time in most years when prices are generally at their height.

I've found that mastitis prone cows aren't helped by being full of milk in July/August - I'd like them to be a bit farther on in the lactation if possible.

mainly small things but still prefer an early one

Just give them a few strong ones and saw right off :p

Advertisement